Wappen von Hamburg by josh0526 - Corel - Scale 1:40

Greetings Fellow Shipbuilders,

I've started up a build log for my Wappen von Hamburg model by Corel.  This will be a real challenge and I'm looking forward to communicating with other experienced members on this build. 

I've started up a blog located at https://wappenvonhamburg.wordpress.com to formally log this build.  Since there seems to be very little in the way of build logs for this particular ship, I'm going to try and keep up with this blog and include lots and lots of build photos.

My plan is to use this forum for communicating with members on build related questions and to provide basic build updates as I progress.   I plan to progress the blog side by side with this forum topic, to provide a more visual build log that will hopefully be helpful to others down the road. 

This will certainly be a long journey with many twists and turns, but I am really looking forward to it!

--Josh

Hi Josh

I am glad to read about a build log for the Wappen von Hamburhg - it is one of my favorite models beside the Friedrich Wilhlem zu Pferde and the Berlin. All of them are on my wishlist - and every log I cxan find I will follow. So I get my comfortable armchair, a good (bavarian) beer and some potato Chips...

Have a good start and show us your beauty growing up from day to day

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

I am interested in this build as well. It would be great if you could post updates here as well as your blog. You'll certainly get many more visitors here. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Last evening, I started work on shaping the stem.  In doing so, I noticed that the figurehead, which is in the shape of a lion, was not going to straddle the stem correctly.  I attempted to bend its legs slightly, but in doing so, managed to snap one of them off - the casting material is very brittle.  Luckily though, I was able to get it reattached with some CN and in the end, looking as good as new.

Now on to my question, it would seem that I will instead need to taper the stem down to a thickness that will accommodate the figurehead.  There is no mention of this in the manual, nor is there a thickness profile of the stem in the plans. 

Does anyone know if the stem would have been tapered for a ship of this era?  I know that the USS Syren model I am also working on currently recommends tapering the stem.

post-16106-0-16208400-1427459001_thumb.jpg

Edited by Josh

The stem needs tapering, and if I recall correctly, this is depicted on one of the plans. I'll post images of my recently completed WVH soon.....enjoy the many challenges of a superb Corel kit.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Had a quick visit to your blog and looks like you've got a good start...I would think, though, typically, one should align the tops of the bulkheads with the upper ledge of the false keel. To achieve this it may be necessary to adjust the notches in either the bulkheads or the false keel..and adding center lines on all  the components helps with the alignment.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Ah, yes.  After closer examination, I see the bulkhead you are referring to.  I'm think that this one may have just been mis-aligned for the photo, but thanks for the heads up.  I'll double check it when I get home today. 

Its really great to have other members who can review your work and provide this type of feedback before a minor problem now, becomes a major headache in the future!

--Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a good recommendation on how to shape the tapered square stock that is intended to be used for the masts?  I've been using a combination belt and disk sander to round them off, but this is very tedious, and prone to imperfections introduced by the edge of the belt and disk. 

--Josh

Hi Josh - I used a small hand plane to turn the square into an octagon & then files & sandpaper to make them round. A little time consuming but it works pretty well. You can also turn them down on a lathe if you have access to one. It may not work to well in a lathe if they are warped very much.

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

• 2 months later...

Hello, Josh..

I have followed your initial posts of Wappen Von Hamburg with much interest as I'm seriously thinking of building this model.  It's been about three months since your last post and I wonder if that means you have abandoned this site.  I sincerely hope not as what you have written so far is very useful and informative.  Many thanks for starting this log.

Best,

Jerry

• 6 months later...

Good seeing you back Josh.  As I mentioned to Andy I am in love with Dutch ships and the Wappon is one of my favorite.  Good luck with your build.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 7 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I finally had a chance to update my blog with some of my more recent progress on this build:

https://wappenvonhamburg.wordpress.com/

Between work, parenthood, and life in general, progress is slow and steady, but I'm a good way through planking at this point.  I'll be following up soon with a post specific to planking.

I just wanted everyone to know that I'm still around, and diligently working on this challenging project.  I also feel it is my obligation to document the build process since there seem to be very limited resources available for this particular model - aside from the very nice Russian blog which users have noted previously.

Best,

Josh

• 1 year later...