USF Constellation 1797 by Jparsley - Artesania Latina - 1:85 scale

So far, so good as the saying goes..    Is the steering wheel glued down?  If not, it needs to be rotated 90 degrees.   You might want to give some thought to how you're going to install and rig the guns before going much further.   The AL instructions are not the best but ideally, the guns almost need to go in before the catwalks otherwise you cant get to them.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to add as life's been a little busy just not in the building department Started on the second layer of the hull and waiting for my blackening agent to get here would really like to have black cannons and eye boots for the gun rigging any ideas also was thinking of using a dark red mahogany stain on the walnut planking any ideas how that would turn out? Any suggestions would be helpful thanks guys

post-18711-0-68335300-1429350330_thumb.jpg

Take some of your scrap walnut, mount on scrap board like you would do planking.  Put your finish on it and see what it looks like.  If it's not to your liking, try the stain and see what it looks like with the finish on top.   Putting on an oil like tung or Danish, or one of the poly finishes will chnge the way the wood looks.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry guys nothing new to add I have had company in for the last week so building has been on stand by hoping to get all the planking finished by the weekend a little nervous about cutting out the gun ports if anyone has any recommendations on how to do it safely and to ease nerves please oh please let me know a lot of time and effort to do the best planking I could just to cut holes in it scares me lol hopefully after the planking is done and the ports are cut I can get a lot assembled since I've been working on a lot of the deck furniture on the side maybe she will start looking like a ship soon

Do the ports slowly.  Don't get into a rush.  Measure 5 or 6 times before cutting instead of the usual two ( ;) ).   Mark the ports.  Use an awl or sharp nail and mark the wood inside the port.  Give your self some meat to file/sand.  Then drill out the holes using a dermal.  Connect the holes and file/sand to shape.  Tedious work but rewarding.

As for stain.. you'll have to test and test some more.  I just planked mine with the factory wood. and poly'ed it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Since this is an AL kit with the double planking of walnut wood I usually just put a coat of poly on mine - brings out the color nicely.

Ok guys my nerves are on end my hands are shaky and my eyes are tearing cutting into a perfectly good hull just to stick a gun in a hole Actually after I cut my first two holes I feel I have a technique lets just hope she turns out nicely here's what I have at the moment

post-18711-0-83541400-1430809715_thumb.jpg

Just keep going slow and easy.   Don't rush.   Looking good to my eye.  As a side note, you've made if farther than some of the other builds of this ship that I've seen.  She's not an easy build.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I think what makes this kit hard is the instructions and some of the workmanship on parts.  You are coming up on a gotcha' and I suggest you look at the other guys logs.  The cannon on the gundeck.... if  you put on the catwalks first, it's very difficult to rig them.  So you'll want to give some though on how the rigging and how much rigging you want to do.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Yeah I kinda ran into that unfortunately the catwalks are already glued down thank goodness the fore and aft decks weren't Gives me a little room to play if I'm not mistaken I measured out my gun ports off the full size picture on the plans and a couple of them hit right on the framing so I've had to shift things around slightly the instructions suck not sure what I'm going to do with the aft cabin peices I've thought about trying my hand at a little scratch building and see if I can make some not sure yet