Le Renommee by Ponto - EuroModel - Scale 1:70

I'm off and running with my first Euromodel kit, Le Renommee after a marathon WVH build. I hope I can keep pace with the increasingly beautiful and detailed  logs submitted by such talented builders found on this forum.

The kit was expensive by my standards, but what isn't these days...and I've been impressed and dismayed by the kit contents in these early stages. Eighteen sheets of detailed plans accompany the kit but a comparison of the plans with supplied bulkheads and decks reveal some inconsistencies. Blocks and gratings are, however, the best I've encountered in any kit. I will work with what is supplied, and tweak and bash as I progress. I've learned and continue to learn through this forum and hope I can contribute in some small way....thanks for looking in.

JP

post-481-0-52034700-1428715119_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-09786200-1428715393_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-60811200-1428715435_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-33471700-1428715481_thumb.jpg

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Love the look of this ship, and love Euromodel kits also.  Looking forward to your log.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi JP,

Will you be bashing or doing an out-of-the-box?  If you're going to bash, have a look here:  http://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/20-monographie-de-la-renommee-fregate-de-8-1744.html#/langue-anglais There's photos of the completed model per the ANCRE plans which point out at least one error.   La Renomme didn't have "billboards" like the English ships but the entire bow section above the wales had heavier planking.  As I understand it, this is pretty good kit of her.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the link Mark,...I did encounter the site thru my earlier googling and struggle with purchasing the book daily. Day to day expenses seem to take precedence,... for now,.... anyway.

I'll be using images from the following link as a basis for my build. It was what prompted me to purchase the kit and is a gorgeous build by a member  from across the seas. He is a member of The Rope Club.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&prev=search&sl=ja&u=http://homepage3.nifty.com/modelshipbuilder/renommee.htm&sandbox=0&usg=ALkJrhgE9tui5ZZeww17Nd6ZHyMxSV4PZg

As another aid,  The Period Ship Handbook Two  discusses the build and has some good pointers. Reference is made to the fact that the kit represents the later second build of the ship. I need to get my ducks in a row and organize my photos, posting, and editing regimen...logs found on this forum are incredible.

JP

I'm looking forward to following your build. You are right, there are MANY inconsistencies between what's shown on the plan, and what is supplied. Good luck with it. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I will follow this log with great interest, because I own same kit as my next build. And yes, Kanji Nakajima's model is gorgeous.

After gathering information I found that this model is not La Renomme. It is actually Swedish frigate Jupiter, based on Chapman's plans from book Architectura Navalis Mercatoria.

CP from modelships.de :

"Amiral Paris cited the plans of the 40 gun frigate shown here in his collections (Amiral Paris, Souvenirs de la marine. Collections de plans ou dessins de navires et de bateaux anciens ou modernes) as "No. 260, emménagements de la frégate de 40 canons La Renommée". Those plans were based on the drawings of one of Chapman's frigates (Frederik Henrik af Chapman, Architectura Navalis Mercatoria, plate XXXI and XXXII, Stockholm 1768)."

"Boudriot and Berti in their work conclude that Amiral Paris made a mistake when claiming that his drawings represented the frigate La Renommée, built in 1767 (Jean Boudriot, Hubert Berti, The History of the French Frigate, p. 130 - 136)".

Edited by SimonV

Simon

Current build:

Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston by Vanguard Models

Mercury by Victory Models - scale 1:64 - (99% scratchbuild) - on hold

Finished: Bluenose by Amati - scale 1:100

...well this revelation deserves some more reading... very interesting......and thanks for putting that out there

J

Simon,...   follow this link to the images that more closely resemble the ship that the Euromodel kit is based on........it is virtually identical and I'll refer to it often ... (the site is excellent for reference and I used it often during my WVH  build)

http://www.modelships.de/French_Frigate_Chapman_31/French_Frigate.htm

There are references  to more than one Le Renommee ships being built , both of which were captured by the English. The link supplied earlier by Mark, points to the earlier version and is notably different.

Hope this helps.

JP

JP,

There have been several.  The Euromodel (according to their website) was built in 1744 and carried 12-pdrs.  Not quite so.... the 1744 was an 8-pdr.  while the 1767 was a 12-pdr.    So, I'm not sure which version this is actually supposed to be but your info appears to be correct about it being the 1767 version.  This would make it contemporary to the Belle Poule. 

As a footnote, the Euromodel site claims only 2 La Renommee frigates, one in the 17th century and one in the 18th century... whilst Boudroit says there were 4... none in the 17th, 2 in the 18th, and 2 in the 19th.  The History of the French Frigate is very illuminating.  I've been using it a lot for my current build as there's just not that much out there on French 8-pdr frigates of the period. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi J.P.

Actually as my future reference I like this one more, due 1:50 scale:  http://www.modelships.de/French-40-gun-frigate/French-40-gun-frigate.htm

Some discussion could be found on Russian forum: http://www.shipmodeling.ru/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=170

Jean Boudriot La Renomme : http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/models/elite/renomme/index.htm

Swedish fregate Jupiter build: http://www.line-of-battle.de/bauberichte/110-segelfregatte-jupiter

I have Chapman's book and also Ancre book. My future build will follow Chapman's drawings. 

This are informations which I found on internet. If I am wrong please correct me.

Simon

Current build:

Well, it looks like the waters are a little muddy when it comes to the French frigates and aside from the Swedish link, we all have the same references to help us along. I've a fair bit invested in the Euromodel kit so I'll use it as a foundation for this build log.  I'm also partial to the color scheme used by the builder found at The Rope link I supplied and hope to capture that "feel".

JP

JP,

First rule of thumb applies here:  You're the Captain so build it the way you want it.  If you're happy with the build, that's all that's really important.

You're off to a good start by doing your research.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Couldn't agree more Mark. :) 

As a beginner I still need to learn a lot, but quickly realized that research is a lot of fun :) . But then as captains we decide how far we go.

Great start J.P. with gorgeous ship.

Kind Regards,

Simon

Current build:

After some head scratching, I think the alignment "issues" with the false decks have been overcome.  The cuts on the supplied decks are mismatched with both the plans as well as with each opposing side... nothing that can't be overcome and there is a mention of this in the Euromodel  reference notes.  The gun deck is secured with glue at this point and and the initial planking will be initiated after the plank runs have been established.

JP

post-481-0-65497900-1429452861_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-21929200-1429452870_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-54386600-1429452885_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-10176200-1429452894_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-19445600-1429452935_thumb.jpg

JP, all going well so far with your build and looking good. I found with these type of kits that the most critical factor was the diagonal measurements between the top edge corners of the frames before the glue sets - not just between adjacent frames but all over the framework. The laser-cut decks then require far less alteration of those slots.

Looking ahead - I found it extremely useful to add in an extra set of bow filler blocks aft of the first frame as well as the supplied block forward of that frame. This then allowed a far better grasp of the bow contour and provided an improved 'seating surface' for the planks as they curved around the bow. I just feel that this minute bit of 'kit bashing' pays dividends.

Pete

I agree Pete,... a firm base at the bow helps matters significantly. I look for as much symmetry from port to starboard as possible and only proceed when I'm happy. I think this type of kit prepares one for some form of future scratch building as one is forced to pour over the plans continually. Many more comments and accompanying photos to follow.........

JP

• 2 weeks later...

Preliminary tasks continue with the skeleton,... and for those checking in,.. sorry, not much eye candy in these initial stages.  I need to stress for those considering this kit, much attention needs to be addressed to the frame fairing.  The upper deck is only held in place with temporary pins  at this point and I'm using the alignment with the gun deck to sight the angels of the frames .  As one can tell from the images, some frames need packing to bring them closer to where they should be. 

The bow fillers will simplify matters when it comes time to start the first of two layers of planking. There is still plenty frame fairing and adjustments to do before the first plank is laid down.

JP

post-481-0-39394000-1430693950_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-55630000-1430693960_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-38171800-1430693999_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-03585200-1430694028_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-26969700-1430694046_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the likes and comments everyone,...work continues (weekends mainly) and the skeleton is taking shape. The bow filler is complete and I'm preparing the stern now for fillers. The uppermost deck is pinned in place over the frames after substantial shaping... it is seated securely now but you'll note that the deck extends a fair ways over the edges of the rear frames. The plans are somewhat confusing when used as a reference but I'll push forward and trim back the uppermost stern deck to match the frames in place.  I'd also suggest using the placement of part 17 (temporarily held in place) to guide the eventual shaping of the stern block fillers.

***I'm trying to figure out whether it would be more advantageous  to scratch build new gun carriages or revise the supplied ...see the photos for explanation......this quandary is mentioned in both the Period Ship Handbook and the reference notes found on the Euromodel website. I suppose these are eventual skills acquired  and needed when the dark side comes a calling.............

JP

post-481-0-90583700-1431871363_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-21941700-1431871377_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-19291100-1431871387_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-73375000-1431871402_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-93108700-1431871414_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-94997400-1431871425_thumb.jpg

Hi, I hate to hijack this log, but Keith, do you mind sharing how to build the gun carriages?  I'm close to building them on my Pegasus and would love a simple tutorial (by PM is fine too).  Thanks!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update to my slow progress. I'm concentrating on the stern  these days and trying to plan for the eventual placement of the various castings. I think you can back yourself into a corner very easily without some forethought. A note should also be added with regard to the rudder. It needs to be tapered from top to bottom and front to back at the same time.... quite tricky I found, but necessary since the shape of the rudder and stern post will dictate the shape of the hull toward the stern. Related to the rudder is the questionable casting supplied the kit.... you can tell from the image that  they are grossly over scale and I wonder why they would be supplied in the kit to begin with. Also, the plans call for the upper portion of the rudder to be 7mm but the supplied piece was only 5mm.  It needs to be modified.........this is  a kit that simply  can't be built straight out of the box.

JP

post-481-0-97704400-1433001503_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-06835000-1433001528_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-04314100-1433001547_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-10183400-1433001556_thumb.jpg

Edited by J.P.

Thanks for sharing Keith,... I think.... lol...

The stern post is pretty much done  (see images) and the keel will follow.  I came across another "anomaly" on the plans so my advice with this kit ( all kits?) is to triple check everything before something is considered done.  I was happy with the stern post until I found a discrepancy between the actual scale of the plan and the noted vertical dimension shown --- 87mm --- the actual measurement on the plan is just over 83mm. I thought the scaling snafu may have come form the photocopy but it accurately  copied the supplied plans...... I haven't cut the post from the blank just yet so it is salvageable......builders beware............ and thanks for looking in.

JP

post-481-0-93767500-1433083463_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-43409500-1433083475_thumb.jpg

JP,

I've found with any kit from experience and reading other logs...check the plans that came with the kit for proper sizing.  My Constellaton plans were too large in one area and too small in another.  On the other hand, the Billing's Wasa was spot on. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

JP, just looking through your impressive log. Taking great care and much thought going into it. However, I must question your comments re the rudder. Check yours again because the top of mine is 7 mm. wide as per the drawings.

Pete

Well gents, it looks like I need to retract my comments related to the thickness of the walnut stock that the rudder was supplied on. It was indeed adjacent to the supplied stem  on stock that was 7mm thick....sorry to have misled any prospective Le Renommee or Euromodel builders.  The task of tapering the these pieces on multiple axis has turned out to be quite challenging and my struggles will continue, I'm sure........

JP

JP