Now for something entirely different - card model

First suggestion, post the same question on the "Built a ship from card? Then discuss it here! Questions and reviews" forum, there you are more likely to reach folks who do card models.   I always thought some of the card models almost look too good to be paper.....but they really are.

Tom

Advice?  Yes - start with the MSW tutorial here.  Be aware that by starting with Arizona you are risking the same sort of beginner's downfall that wood builders all too often experience by starting with HMS Victory.  Not saying it can't be done, but I can tell you from experience that my first couple of card ships were what I affectionately refer to as el crappola grande.  It pays to start small.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I started my card models with some of the easier ones. I saw the Arizona and would like to do it but after some research I decided to try some less complicated ones to get some experience under my belt.  When starting out in a new medium it is usually smart to start out with a simple build than something that is highly complicated.  I have seen that one built and it is a real beauty.  However I would hold off until my skil level is better.

David B

Sorry for the way and where I posted this. I guess I wasn't thinking. I downloaded the Digital Navy Oregon, it looked "slightly" simpler ( I'll save the Arizona for a while). I figured if I take my time it might actually get finished. I can just keep remaking parts till they come out right, can't I? I love the pre dreadnought era ships. I live an hour from the Olympia and have climbed all over her. I started reading what I can find on card models. I know I can get support here. So we'll see what happens.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

The Olympia looks like a good build I wish you luck and have fun.  My advice would be to scan the plans to your computer because you will be wanting to do over a part every now and then. And when you get frustrated walk away for awhile until you cool off.  Remember to have fun and enjoy the challenge in expanding your skills and knowledge.  

David B

Clever Models online has some fairly easy building models to learn paper modeling and Fiddlers Green Has a LOT of simple airplane models and a few boats to practice with. Alenes glue is a really good product but it will "grab" in just a few seconds and repositioning may ruin your part. Accurate cutting right on the lines is essential for good fit. Aselection of rounded and pointed dowels can be handy for forming parts. Paper is a lot more malleable than one might think. Zealot .com has a good paper model section with lots of advice and a German site Kartonist  also has a lot of activity,specially in the steel navy category. Another good tip is to spray all your printed sheets with a good matte fixative. It gives the paper a more plastic feel and tend to roll and fold better. Also it doesn't attract dirt as much. I also print on the heaviest matte photo paper I can buy.  Bill

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren