Steamboat Bertrand by Cathead - 1:87, wooden Missouri River sternwheeler - Finished

Cathead, well done. The steamboat looks great. And thank you for showing us a glimpse of history.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I agree with all the comments above. This forum has enforced my feelings of riverboats. Growing up in Pittsburgh in the 30-40s I spent a lot of time sitting on the hill watching the boat traffic. 

I have built the "Chaparon", and am in the process of building the Mississippi Riverboat" Mantua. This kit seems out of proportion in so many ways, that I am spending a lot of time doing research to try to get it right. All of your words and those of others have helped.

Maybe there should be a corner of this site for Riverboats.

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

Excellent job CH! The period scene is an extraordinary view into the past!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks, all. Just to clarify one point, Bertrand won't be living on the layout, it doesn't fit. I don't want it hanging off the edge like that. If I want a steamboat there, I'll either use the Far West or build another one. Someday.

It's now proudly on a bookshelf near our front door. Conveniently, it's just lower than the natural height of a normal book. One advantage to steamboats over sailing ships, a better height/width ratio for display!

chborgm, I was thinking about starting a "general riverboat discussion" topic, your mention of the same idea encourages me to do so.

I thin that is great idea. There is so much I thought I knew, and so much more I realize I don't If one is started I hope the it would not be to limited in scope. I am interested in the steam engines, difference between up river down rive boats, passenger/gargo etc. I am working on the Mantua boat, and have ordered plans to hopefully scratch build one

I've putted up my study chair and am ready

Clarence

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

I'm setting aside river craft for now, and embarking on a self-designed tutorial in regular ship-building. First the two Model Shipways naval gun kits for a lightweight treat after scratchbuilding (and to learn more about guns), then Chuck's longboat to reimmerse myself in planking, rigging, and other such skills, then tackling the Corel Ranger as Mrs. Cathead really likes the look of topsail schooners and I want to build a real sailing craft. I grew up along the Great Lakes and sailed a lot as a youngster, as well as spending a lot of time along the mid-Atlantic coast, so am looking forward to rediscovering that part of my past and interests.

If/when I return to river craft, I want to build the Arabia, the Missouri River sidewheeler that's now the focus of an excellent museum in downtown Kansas City.

Cathead:

Again - great model and thanks for sharing the building with us.

The Arabia is an interesting subject.  I don't know of any sort of plans for it.  Would probably have to be mostly conjecture and practice of the day to arrive at a model.  If you know of any sort of plans please let me know.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt, I don't know of plans, either. Whenever I decided to get started, I'd just have to contact the museum and see what information I could glean from their archives of the dig, and go from there. It would be a representative, if not accurate, model, as you say. 

Sorry, Crackers, it'll have to wait a little while. All steamboats and no sailing ships makes Cathead a dull boy. I wouldn't be motivated to do another steamboat right away, I like diversity in my life.

wyzwyk, I sure hope you're right! My father didn't make it to 50, so you never know.

Cathead the great Lakes has a rich history with many different types of boats and water craft.  

David B

David, yes, right now my long-term dream is to scratchbuild the HMS Ontario, was was recently discovered in its eponymous lake not very far from where I grew up. My mother attended a talk by the team who found the ship, and gave me a signed copy of the updated book about its contruction, history, and re-discovery, including sets of plans based on the Admiralty originals. I just need to build up the skills required.

Index of this build

This is an idea I had partway through this build. The idea is to provide an outline of the build so future readers can find information more easily without wading through the entire comment thread or trying to find the right search terms. It's now linked in the opening post of this log.

Edit: I wrote up a whole post about this, intending to post it as a new idea, only to find that it had already been proposed last year. But I added my original idea writeup anyway, in case it's of interest to anyone. 

Laying out hull frames, first attempt

Reconsidering hull framing with new information

Laying out hull frames, second attempt

Hull framing continued, starting on bow & stern

Correcting stern framing, continuing stern & bow framing

Completing hull framing

Adding guard framing

Questioning bow planking

Adding deck beams

Planking the bow (following some excellent suggestions/discussion)

Planking, sanding, and painting hull; starting deck planking

Building the rudders; continuing deck planking

Building the paddle wheel

Images & information from re-visiting the Bertrand museum at DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge, Iowa

Discussion of steamboat wrecks on the Missouri

Engines & drivers

Main deck structures, framing in the boiler deck, hog chain braces

Boilers, main deck staircase, beginning boiler deck planking

Boiler deck completed, building main cabin structure with stateroom interiors

Framing & planking the hurricane deck, building the outhouses

Discussion of paddlewheel color

Pilot house, chimneys, railings, and the nearly completed model

Grasshopper spars

Final details

Final photos, part I

Final photos, part II

Edited by Cathead

• 2 months later...

Hi Cathead

Great report to a great build! And the final post with the direct links to the different stages is really useful!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

• 3 months later...

Hi Cathead,

Absolutely grand build. I find it quite inspirational..... :dancetl6:

All the best,    Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

I couldn't agree more Keith, I think the boat is quite magnificent.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 3 months later...

For anyone in central Missouri, I will be displaying the Bertrand and several other models at the Tigercon 2016 model show in Columbia, Missouri tomorrow (Saturday November 5). I apologize for the very late warning, it somehow never occurred to me that it might be of interest to anyone here, but there are a few folks from Missouri on the forum so I thought I'd mention it.