2015 NRG Conference Update - MYSTIC

While I did not attend the conference this year, I can speak from experience from previous NRGs and SMA conferences, the round table discussions alone are quite valuable.  The downside is that you can't attend them all.  :( 

Keep up the great work guys.  I am looking forward to NRG San Diego next year. :cheers: 

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I also thought the Conference was very good.  Well-planned. Well-attended. Hilton's facilities were perfect for our members and the staff were good.

Thanks to all in the NRG that organized this event - Good Job! Ryland, thanks for posting the pics. As promised, Yukon Mike (Kusawa) remembered to bring a (still cold) can of the Yukon's Chilkoot beer for me. And what might you guess is the beer company's marketing slogan? "Beer Worth Freezing For." I'm not certain any beer is worth freezing for, hmmmmmm...but wait a minute! - if one's blood alcohol level is very high....I felt terrible that I had forgotten to bring a Two Roads brew from nearby Stratford.

Catch you next year in San Diego, Mike. I'll buy you a Margarita- promise. :P

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

San Diego on October 6-7-8, 2016.  Conference hotel is the Downtown Double Tree right up the hill within easy walking distance from the San Diego Maritime Museum.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

$$$$$$$$$$ 

In doing research for the event, Mike Lonnecker (SDSMG Guildmaster/NRG Director) found the Wyndham costs/prices to be way high. 

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Yeah they are high - like 10X what we can afford for meeting space!

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Oh, I figured you guys had done the legwork on that, but it sure would have been a convenient location!

Seems odd that their meeting  prices are that much higher, the basic room costs are pretty much the same for non-special rates.

We were also shocked at their meeting room rental prices compared to their other rates and to other places nearby.  The 2006 NRG Conference was held there - under former ownership. 

We are still pretty darn close to the Museum and the conference hotel is closer to the entertainment and dining area od downtown SD from what Mike tells me.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt and I will be driving pedi-cabs between the hotel and the Museum.  :rolleyes: 

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Outstanding!!!  Maybe we can have that beer we never got around to having in 2007.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck: I would be into that.. I remember they have Sam Adams on the west coast as well. I also remember seeing some Alaskan Amber which is my beer of choice when I go over and visit our Alaskan neighbours to the west. If you ever get to Juneau the brewery is worth a visit....

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild