As a model maker you are an artist, you are making your IMPRESSION of what you see - if it is a very small model, then you are looking at it from a distance and will expect to see somethings and not others - as goes the same if it is a larger model - the guide is to only make what you expect to see and you will make a work of art.  Go beyond that and start adding detail for details sake, and you will most likely move out of scale, and kill the whole effect.  The best guides are photos of the full size subject, add the detail that you can see - if it is a hinge, but only looks like a spot, represent it as a spot and not a hinge and it will look CORRECT in the finished model.  If you are an addict for detail, then pick a scale that suits your abilities and the subject, but the rule, if it be a rule, will be the same- for me that is. Check out:

http://www.wworkshop.net/Other_Models/Gallery-1.html#6

http://www.wworkshop.net/Other_Models/Gallery-1.html#11

I would tend to agree with you concerning level of detail and scale - but: unfortunately, unlike in a photographic image, the viewing distance is not fixed. Though in general, one may view a model from, say, half a metre or a metre distance, one may also put the nose over it. If I were to design a model, for instance, as a film prop and it would only be seen from a certain distance, I would indeed put the level of detail on it that is needed to give the 'right' impression. For a show-case model the situation is rather different. Here you need to create the 'right' impression for various viewing distances.

For certain details it may be safer to err on the small side ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Gaw in Sunny Spain mentioned a hinge.  Try this for a spectrum of detail by scale:

Real life- built in a factory, or forged by a blacksmith, tool marks here and there, bolt or rivet heads with shanks.

Large scale- hand made piece of brass, working pin, tool marks gone, bolt heads, may be used to attach the hinge.

Medium scale- flat piece of brass, maybe plastic or paper, simulated pin, simulated bolt heads, possibly glued in place.

Small scale- brass foil or paper, glued in place.

Tiny scale- hinge simulated with paint.

All great comments. All details should be considered in light of the overall artistic effect of the model as a whole. Having said that, I know that I have made some very fine and time consuming details that no one will see in the end, but I did them anyway. I think for 2 reasons: first, to push my limits and see if I could do it; and two, because I was curious about how the detail was built. building the details helped me understand how these ships were made, and how the parts functioned.

Good thing my overall deadline is to complete the ship just before I pass away....

Mark

In my opinion the view distance is set by the scale that is used, which when combined with the skill of the model maker and the materials to be used will determine the detail to be included.  Hinge detail at 1/96th scale, just completed and made to work - just to see if it could be done and to have fun - which is what it is all about.

post-20237-0-04903300-1440086527_thumb.jpg

post-20237-0-42453600-1440086554_thumb.jpg

When you consider that the exquisite bone models built by the French prisoners of war had huge parts of the interior built in to them, never to see the light of day with out the models been destroyed You can only conclude that they did it because they could rather than because they should.

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

• 1 month later...

Holy crap.  Spend the time to look at that Royal Caroline.  It has crazy stuff like this:

post-14925-0-83411900-1444974565_thumb.jpg

Edited by GuntherMT

Holy crap.  Spend the time to look at that Royal Caroline.  It has crazy stuff like this:

attachicon.gifROYAL_CAROLINE_183.jpg

Incredible amount of detail on these models.  This website is a must see.

http://www.shipmodell.com/index_files/0ROYAL_CAROLINE2.html

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Speaking of details

post-18309-0-18221400-1445007951_thumb.j

This person's day job is probably working with something on the molecular level.  This may seem enormous to him! :D

Have you seen Doris's Royal Caroline?   We have quite a few builders here doing that level of work. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the link zoly99sask that is truly impressive, it makes one humble to think how far some of us have yet to go to active the ultimate - but very good to see just what can be done with skill and time when you put your mind to it.

It is a very impressive web site in general and well worth a detailed look at all the models, there is much to be learnt there.

• 3 weeks later...

Janet B.

As regards the amount of detail,i think a small amount of neatly done detail is far better

than a model with a lot of detail badly done.

Adding detail is a matter of preference and how much time you want spend on it/with proper skill,just for an exemple tke a look at this Hungarian modeller what quality and detail has been built into his HMY Caroline.Realt worth time to check all the pictures!!

http://www.shipmodell.com/index_files/SHIPMODELL_ROYAL_CAROLINE.htm

And the Pandora was built for almost 20 years,20000 work hours!!

http://www.shipmodell.com/index_files/SHIPMODELL_PANDORA.htm

I have seen some modelling skills in the past few years - but I've just had the privilage of spending 30 minutes with my jaw constantly hitting my desk as I surveyed the photographs of the Pandora build - and I've only just looked at a small part.

Should all models be built to that level of detail?

Well I personally would absolutely love to have even 1% of the skills to be able to come anywhere near this level of detail - and that would be when using a kit!!

And then I realise that this is a complete Scratch build - I'm afraid I don't have long enough to live to learn these skills.

Meantime, I return to my attempt at building Pickle to the very best of my abilities so that when she is finished I can look at her with pride of a job well done........

zoly99sask, on 15 Oct 2015 - 9:52 PM, said:snapback.png

Adding detail is a matter of preference and how much time you want spend on it/with proper skill,just for an exemple tke a look at this Hungarian modeller what quality and detail has been built into his HMY Caroline.Realt worth time to check all the pictures!!

http://www.shipmodel...AL_CAROLINE.htm

And the Pandora was built for almost 20 years,20000 work hours!!

http://www.shipmodel...ELL_PANDORA.htm

Thanks for the links,.....the work found here is SCARY GOOD!!! ... just goes to show that there is no limit to how much detail  can go into a build, scratch or kit build.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

• 2 months later...

I found a 1:48 scale cello and violin that I just must get into my HMS Surprise. I like detail though I would not be a bolt counter about it. I understand the work that goes into a craft such as ours and would enjoy the results regardless of the detail. The elegance of simplicity is just as attractive as the super detailed.

I got my first model when I was about 5 years of age. I put it together over and over again using scotch tape. Loved that 1st model.

Here I am now at 62 years of age, and I've advanced to actually using glue, but I still love it! :rolleyes:  When I get tired of it (building models), I put it down and do something else for a while. I always come back to it later when I feel like it. And it always keeps me happy, no matter how much attention to detail I place in it. But that's just me.

On small details I generally apply a scale 'rule'

If the part scales down to a size I don't think I am capable of making then I drop it.

I don't like the approach where a part is made within a persons capability but when scaled up is actually twice real size.

i.e. If a stanchion scales up the be 5" dia. then it will never look right if it was a 2" dia. metal post.

• 1 month later...

I agree that the amount of detail in a build is up to the builder. As I don't use or have plans when I start a ship, my builds come from a general idea of the look I'm going for. The details just come with the process. I realize this may not be the best way to build a model but it does allow for the imagination to run wild.  :)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

• 9 months later...

Detail needs to be a balance of time available, skills, impact of the model on the viewer, details known from historical records, point in time the model illustrates, and more. On board sailing operations and living are often overlooked, in my opinion, but should be considered and modeled. What is actually going on at the moment? Some detail is too fine to be readily visible. 

I am working on my first tall ship model at 1:60 scale, from a kit my wife gave me when we were married. Next week is our 50th wedding anniversary. It was the rigging that stopped me for several decades. The woodworking part went fine. 

I have spend lots of time this year studying rigging, sailing, operations, cargo handling, etc. Many of the standard texts such as "Two Years Before the Mast", "Five Years Before the Mast", O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series, etc. have given me lots of insight and entertainment plus understanding of how these ships were lived in a and sailed. The Tea races of the 1860's are fascinating. 

It seems that level of detail should be relatively consistent in level and scale. The ship should be operational at the detail shown. This is partly out of respect for the men who sailed them. Sails are often removed while in port, and a model can follow suit. More and more detail runs against up the problem of when in the life of the ship is it being modeled? Context of the model becomes important too. Most ships underwent heavy modifications during their careers. 

I have ended up modeling my ship as a tea clipper, changed from the original slaver. It is a merchantman rather than military. It has recently docked and shows activity aboard related to this time. The sailors have stowed some cargo on the deck along with a couple of cages of animals. This was very common in actual practice. There will not be any sails, but there will be a small picture of an approaching ship in the corner of the case under full sail. 

I sure would like to discuss others' thoughts on my amateur approach. It is a real blast to work on, and I hope to finish it before I croak. 

As long as you are having fun it doesn't matter. Otherwise it isn't a hobby.  If that is the case your collectors or clients will dictate the amount of detail either by desire or costs.  If it is your hobby, put in whatever detail you like and exclude those that you don't like working on.  In the end if it wasn't fun, then why did you spend your time on it?