18th Century Longboat by MikeB4 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/4"=1'

I'm going to attempt to build this kit that I bought a few years back. I've looked thru many of your build logs which is invaluable knowledge. I know that I'm probably not going to have a perfect model if I'm successful at completing this boat. I guess the best way to learn is just dive in.

post-7274-0-80975600-1431200667_thumb.jpg

Mike, you'll get plenty of help. Just ask in your build log. Folks around here are very helpful.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Off to a good start. This is a good choice for a build. I want to build this one myself sometime.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Looks good.  At this stage a lot of builders glued little pieces across the top of the bulheads to make the whole thing more rigid for planking.  Little pieces of 1/8" 1 1/32" strips would do the trick spanning across from one bulkhead to another.  Take a look at some of the other buuild logs to see how they did that.

Chuck

In order to complete the planking I have to modify the second strake down from the top on each side. I already tor it down once to about the 4th strake up but I should have gone down to the second strake up from the bottom and did the planking over after beveling each of these strakes a lot more. The lesson for anyone who's going to build this model is you really need to start beveling at the bow right from the beginning of your planking .

post-7274-0-45973700-1431682496_thumb.jpg

Mike, it looks good. Keep it up, the long boat is a fun little kit.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Mike,

Really nice planking job especially considering this is your first build, keep up the good work, this is a fun little kit

J

It's not my first build but it is the first time I've done a POF. I have completed some models from Midwest, which are relatively easy compared to this little model but they where excellent starter kits.

Edited by MikeB4

I've removed the bulkhead centers with my rotary tool with no issue. Now comes the time consuming task of sanding the inner frames. I need to find out how much I should sand them. 

post-7274-0-86022500-1432328029_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, there is a lot of sanding to do. The cap rail is 3/16" wide and that rail is to have a little lip over the planking. So each frame is to be less than 3/16". With other words a lot of sanding. A micro-meter is a good tool. Oh, btw nice progress looking very nice.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Very nice job on those cap rails. :)

Respectfully

• 3 weeks later...

My boat isn't perfect by any means, but I do feel good about a lot of things I've learned with this build. I'll probably give it another coat of red paint, it's slowly coming along.

post-7274-0-54900100-1435509107_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeB4