Int'l. Dragon Class II - by Cap 'n' Bob - 1:48 scale - small - Finished

Hi All,

In my signature there is a dragon in the gallery.  I built it in MSW 1. I did not keep the info on my build. and when MSW 1 crashed all was lost.  It was a good build and it sat on my shelf where I could enjoy it. Then when my brother visited I gave it to him.  He took it home and placed it on his mantel. After this my admiral looked at me and said, “That was my favorite boat”.  I had disposed of all the drawings and references  not wanting to build the same boat again.  So I showed her a picture of a yawl and asked if I could build it for her, she agreed.  This went on and on.  I built the yawl, a cat boat and the schooner all for her and her response is as always, “How about the dragon?”  So here is another dragon.  When building dragon 1, everything really worked.  There was even a groove in the mast and boom to slide the sail into.  This time I don’t know if I’ll go that far but I do hope to make it look better.  So this will be “Dragon II”.  Now I need to redraw the keel and bulkheads.   I hope you will enjoy following this build. 

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Well, since I wasn't around for MSW 1.0, I will certainly enjoy this build, as I have your previous builds on MSW 2.0

Like Tom, I too wasn't around for MSW 1, and very much look forward to seeing you construct the Dragon II. 

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Another more to silently watch

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

congrats to Dragon II  building decision Bob,

never learnt  to know MSW 1, but had a look at your Gallery, ist a very nice boat. The actual Dragon-class calls for clinker planking, that will look great, hope you can put it on to your model. Wish you good success with Dragon II

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I want to thank you all for joining me on this build, I will make it as fun as possible.  After all that's what it is all about.

Chris this is how I do it.  First is to trace the line drawing into the computer (or on paper) and separate the sections. These will become the bulkheads to plank over.  Now at each station line draw a line from the top of the keel to the associated section drawing.  This is the top of the slot for the keel to fit into.  Draw the keel slot at half the keel width.  Now decide how thick the hull and deck planking will be and offset lines to the inside of the section and erase to outside lines.  Draw a base line above the section.  I usually make it one to one and a half inches above the top of the section.  This line is measured up from the water line and must be the same on all sections.  From the top of the new hull line, draw a short line out from the hull and another connecting this up to the base line.  Now by mirroring the half section around the center line of that section you end up with the bulkhead.  Hopefully between this and the pictures the process is clear.  I did show it in the pictures, but it is best to number the sections.

Bob

post-513-0-50447400-1434739547_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-83572400-1434739558_thumb.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Wow Cap'n'Bob Great decision on the Dragon ,( I still have not decided, I am leaning toward the H-28 ),I look forward to following along, Count me in. I see that seats are filling quickly

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Don't worry Pete.  The seats are filling but there's no limit.  Welcome aboard.

Bob

whew........glad I made it here in time!  :)    count me in to watch as well Bob!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, you're always welcome to come aboard.

Bob

Glad you're here Frank.  Pull up a chair and enjoy the show.

Made the first major change.  Instead of 1:32 like the first Dragon I've decided to try this one in 1:48 to match my other boats.  That means 1" = .020".  Now to figure out how to make that 1/2" square stock.  It's back to the drawing board for now.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Count me in to watch this one, too! Looks like a sleek hull.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Ben welcome aboard.  If you are not familiar with the dragon you need to look it up.  It was designed in the 1920's as a daysailer/cruising boat but sailed so well and fast that with minor changes it became an Olympic racing boat.  There are still large fleets of these sleek boats.

Bob 

Hi All,

Now to get started.  I finished the drawings and cut out the bulkheads using 1/32” scrap plywood.  The bulkheads were glued to 1/4” square stock and then glued to the build board.  The keel was cut from 1/16” mahogany. I think its mahogany, its a little redder that walnut so I call it mahogany. I will plank with the mahogany veneer strips that can be found in most kits, the planks will be glued to each other but hopefully not to the bulkheads.  Edge gluing the veneer strips should be fun (read as possibly frustrating), we’ll have to see how that goes.  Anyway here’s a picture of where she is today.

Bob

post-513-0-02897700-1435253321_thumb.jpg

Hi Cap'n'Bob, Looks like you are off to a great start. Edge gluing the planking should give you hours of enjoyment , I am sure it will turn out amazing

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Bob

It looks like this will be a very delicate build for a while.  I'm looking forward to seeing how you develop the hull strength.

Pete, I’m not sure yet what I’m getting myself into with this edge gluing of veneer.  I’ve decided to make a minor change.  I will place a narrow strip of the veneer over the edge of the bulkheads as something extra to hold it all together.

George, I’m already having fun just figuring out what in the heck am I doing.

Jparsley, welcome to ship/boat building.  In most cases when bulkheads are set up in this way the planking is glued to the bulkheads and they become part if the boat.  In my case I want an empty hull so I can maybe show the interior.  In order to do this and hold the planks together they would have to be glued together edge to edge.

Patrick, in my twenties I lived on a boat.  Not too far away was a dragon.  That is when I fell in love with them.

Frank, the strips I mentioned above should add a lot of strength, at least that’s the hope.

Igor, yes, I get into trouble all the time by making promises to her.

Now It’s back to the boatyard hope to have more soon.

Bob

Thanks John

Lawrence, Glad to have you aboard.

Well it's back to the drawing boards again.  All seemed to be going well with the veneer as the first planking for two or three strakes and then I squeeze too hard and break them, tear them off and try again same thing, try again . . .   Wait I know what they call people who try the same thing over and over and expect different results.  So I will go back to my faithful basswood for first planking and cover it with the veneer.  Now to make the bulkheads smaller to allow for the thicker planking.  Ah well I learned something also.  You need to be down to SIB size to use veneer as a structural member.

Bob