Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Int'l. Dragon Class II - by Cap 'n' Bob - 1:48 scale - small - complete

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,544 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Hi All,

In my signature there is a dragon in the gallery.  I built it in MSW 1. I did not keep the info on my build. and when MSW 1 crashed all was lost.  It was a good build and it sat on my shelf where I could enjoy it. Then when my brother visited I gave it to him.  He took it home and placed it on his mantel. After this my admiral looked at me and said, “That was my favorite boat”.  I had disposed of all the drawings and references  not wanting to build the same boat again.  So I showed her a picture of a yawl and asked if I could build it for her, she agreed.  This went on and on.  I built the yawl, a cat boat and the schooner all for her and her response is as always, “How about the dragon?”  So here is another dragon.  When building dragon 1, everything really worked.  There was even a groove in the mast and boom to slide the sail into.  This time I don’t know if I’ll go that far but I do hope to make it look better.  So this will be “Dragon II”.  Now I need to redraw the keel and bulkheads.   I hope you will enjoy following this build. 

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob, 13 October 2015 - 07:36 PM.

• trippwj, mtaylor, canoe21 and 8 others like this

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  Two Edwardian launches

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II

In the Gallary:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

usedtosail

usedtosail

Trying hard

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth Reading, MA

Well, since I wasn't around for MSW 1.0, I will certainly enjoy this build, as I have your previous builds on MSW 2.0

• GLakie likes this

- Tom -

Current Build: Model Shipways Constitution

Next in Line: Billings Half Moon or Dumas 1938 Cris Craft

Completed: MS Bounty LaunchHMS Beagle - highly bashed Mamoli kit using Anatomy of Ship book,

Santisima Trinidad Cross Section, Dapper Tom, Sultana, Phantom

Member: Nautical Research Guild 

cog

cog
  • Members
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationGelderland, Netherlands

This is easy ... count me in. Should turn out marvelous as you have been practising ...

• GLakie and Cabbie like this

Carl

Builds
Kit Wood
Dolphyn [Corel] 1:68, Higaki Kaisen [Woody Joe] 1:72
Kit Plastic

IJN Musashi [Tamiya] 1:350

Finished builds

Scratch: Sea Witch 1:109

GLakie

GLakie

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

• Gone, but not forgotten
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI--USA

Like Tom, I too wasn't around for MSW 1, and very much look forward to seeing you construct the Dragon II. 

Edited by GLakie, 18 June 2015 - 09:11 PM.

GEORGE

Posted Image

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nenad

Nenad

mess maker

• Members
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationSerbia, Belgrade
Another more to silently watch
  • cog and GLakie like this

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworl...ge-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworl...-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Cabbie

Cabbie
  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationCastlemaine Victoria Australia

I'm new here myself, and keen to watch. Can you show as much as possible on the drawing process. Thanks Chris

• GLakie likes this

HM Cutter Mermaid 1817

HMS Endeavour by Cabbie

Every action has a consequence

Jim Lad

Jim Lad

• Moderators
  • 5,235 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

All ready for another 'Dragon', Bob.

John

• GLakie likes this

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

I wasn't around for MSW 1 either so I will pull up a barrel and sit and watch

• GLakie likes this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

Omega1234

Omega1234
  • Members
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I'm in!!!
  • GLakie and Jack12477 like this

Mirabell61

Mirabell61
  • Members
  • 4,149 posts
  • LocationGlinde, state Schleswig-Holstein, Germany

congrats to Dragon II  building decision Bob,

never learnt  to know MSW 1, but had a look at your Gallery, ist a very nice boat. The actual Dragon-class calls for clinker planking, that will look great, hope you can put it on to your model. Wish you good success with Dragon II

Nils

• Piet, Omega1234 and GLakie like this

My build logs for scratch built ships

Current builds

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...ne/#entry319621

Completed builds
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan  (scratchbuild)
http://modelshipworl...ge-1#entry79523

"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96

http://modelshipworl...ed/#entry159607

"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...pleted-to-d/page-1#entry168883

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...to-date/#entry16246

"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50

http://modelshipworl...er/#entry182678

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...ed/#entry280917

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,544 posts

I want to thank you all for joining me on this build, I will make it as fun as possible.  After all that's what it is all about.

Chris this is how I do it.  First is to trace the line drawing into the computer (or on paper) and separate the sections. These will become the bulkheads to plank over.  Now at each station line draw a line from the top of the keel to the associated section drawing.  This is the top of the slot for the keel to fit into.  Draw the keel slot at half the keel width.  Now decide how thick the hull and deck planking will be and offset lines to the inside of the section and erase to outside lines.  Draw a base line above the section.  I usually make it one to one and a half inches above the top of the section.  This line is measured up from the water line and must be the same on all sections.  From the top of the new hull line, draw a short line out from the hull and another connecting this up to the base line.  Now by mirroring the half section around the center line of that section you end up with the bulkhead.  Hopefully between this and the pictures the process is clear.  I did show it in the pictures, but it is best to number the sections.

Bob

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

• mtaylor, canoe21, Mahuna and 14 others like this

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

Pete48

Pete48
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationCoeur d' Alene Idaho

Wow Cap'n'Bob Great decision on the Dragon ,( I still have not decided, I am leaning toward the H-28 ),I look forward to following along, Count me in. I see that seats are filling quickly

Best Regards,

Pete

• Piet, Omega1234 and GLakie like this

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,544 posts

Don't worry Pete.  The seats are filling but there's no limit.  Welcome aboard.

Bob

• Pete48, Omega1234 and GLakie like this

popeye the sailor

popeye the sailor

imagine

• Members
  • 8,251 posts
  • LocationManchester N.H.

whew........glad I made it here in time!  :)    count me in to watch as well Bob!

• GLakie likes this

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed / semi scratch dual build

on the table:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,544 posts

Popeye, you're always welcome to come aboard.

Bob

• GLakie likes this

Mahuna

Mahuna
  • Members
  • 990 posts
  • LocationSun Lakes, AZ

Hi Bob:

I'm looking forward to following another of your great builds.

• GLakie likes this

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,544 posts

Glad you're here Frank.  Pull up a chair and enjoy the show.

Made the first major change.  Instead of 1:32 like the first Dragon I've decided to try this one in 1:48 to match my other boats.  That means 1" = .020".  Now to figure out how to make that 1/2" square stock.  It's back to the drawing board for now.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob, 23 June 2015 - 06:58 PM.

• cog, mtaylor, egkb and 3 others like this

BenF89

BenF89
  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Count me in to watch this one, too! Looks like a sleek hull.

• Omega1234 and GLakie like this

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,544 posts

Ben welcome aboard.  If you are not familiar with the dragon you need to look it up.  It was designed in the 1920's as a daysailer/cruising boat but sailed so well and fast that with minor changes it became an Olympic racing boat.  There are still large fleets of these sleek boats.

Bob 

• GLakie likes this

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,544 posts

Hi All,

Now to get started.  I finished the drawings and cut out the bulkheads using 1/32” scrap plywood.  The bulkheads were glued to 1/4” square stock and then glued to the build board.  The keel was cut from 1/16” mahogany. I think its mahogany, its a little redder that walnut so I call it mahogany. I will plank with the mahogany veneer strips that can be found in most kits, the planks will be glued to each other but hopefully not to the bulkheads.  Edge gluing the veneer strips should be fun (read as possibly frustrating), we’ll have to see how that goes.  Anyway here’s a picture of where she is today.

Bob

IMG_1325.JPG

• cog, canoe21, Mahuna and 11 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.