USS Choctaw by Canute - Heinkel Models - 1/200 scale - CARD

I have gone through your log several times and am learning something new every time I do.  As for your skin try running a dowel over it in different directions to make the skinning easier.

David B

Thanks for the likes, folks. And David, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the idea.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Good stuff, Ken, thanks. The previous extent of my knowledge on this topic came from visiting the Cairo in Vicksburg. BTW, that link doesn't work as entered; it needs an http:// in front of it, at least in my browser. Just a note for anyone else who tries to follow it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. The Admiral will be taking me out to dinner somewhere, when she gets off work. As a "gentleman of leisure", time off is easier to schedule, although I do a fair amount of volunteer work with my church and the County Sheriff.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

• 1 month later...

Very cool build Ken, thanks for sharing all the steps with us.  These card models look really intriguing :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike, the most important tool you need is a very sharp knife to make  clean cut. Just make sure your hands are steady when you start.  You do not want any boo boos.

David B

• 4 weeks later...

Ken,

I just found your log and read through it. That is a very cool project. I hope you don't mind if I dust off a seat and join you.

Best, Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Greg, go to Ecardmodels.com and look for steam era ships. If you want to read about the actual ships check this site out: http://users.wowway.com/~jenkins/ironclads/ironclad.htm

Ecardmodels.com carry American Civil War, European ships and some South American ships, too. They also have loads of other stuff (aircraft, armor, structures), too. The Confederate ships may be a little easier, since they're more flat plates on casements. Some of the Yankee stuff is  more rounded (turrets and such) and cutting those parts out is my nemesis. Need multiple sized steel circle templates or a reliable compass with a cutting blade.

Ken

Hi Ken,

sorry to clutter up your log but Greg if you look here http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2745-pt-iii-shopping-for-card-models/for where to purchase kits.

Also Chris (ccoyle) has a whole series of threads on building card models in the card section of this forum.

cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Slog, any time. We're all going the same way. Thanks.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hi Ken

I was reminded of your model when someone mentioned making card models earlier today.  It made me think of your ship and so, I thought I'd check in to see if you've been able to make any more progress so far?

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Patrick, thanks for asking. I put it on hold until I can cut better looking curves in flay sheets of paper and card. Bounty launch is back on the front burner.

Ken

Your model is coming along nicely, very interesting. 

I am fascinated by the riverboats that were converted into gunboats.  As packets, the boats went in one direction on the rivers to the last stop and then went all the way back.  But as gunboats they had to be where the action was.   Yes the lower Mississippi river is wide but can you imagine turning around a floating football field sized boat in some of the smaller tributaries?  

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Choctaw was a conversion and pretty active in the mid- Mississippi River from just before Vicksburg  in 1863 thru the end of hostilities in 1865. She took part in the largely futile Red River expedition in March - May 1864. She was 270' long and 69' wide, with a draft of 8'. Pretty heavily armed with 3 x 11" Dahlgen smooth-bores, 2 x 30# Parrot rifles and 2 x 24#. Her 1-2" armor was supposedly laid over India rubber. Choctaw was said to be able to make 2 knots heading up river. Speedy it was not!

Ken

Considering her size and the Mississippi flow, 2 knots probably wasn't too bad at the time.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Hi Ken, sorry to have missed your log before this as I limit myself to a certain number of builds otherwise i would spend all day on the PC :)

An interesting subject and build you have going; card is an area I have not yet dabbled in so I will pull up a chair and have a closer read from the beginning.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat, I've got Choctaw on hold until I can cut the cardstock into cleaner circles. Right now they look like stop signs and such. The rounded casements will look good, if I can cut them out better. The paddle wheel boxes are too jagged, so I have to redo them.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Not sure if it will help your circle cutting issue but in my last couple of posts in another card modelling forum I did a mini tutorial on using a circle cutter.  The wheel rims I cut out were about 22mm outer diameter and about 3mm wide from 0.5mm card.

If you are interested in checking it out just click on the link for the Mazur D-350 in my signature.  Unfortunately you have to be a member and logged in to see the images full size other wise its just small thumbnails.

Can you post what it is you are trying to cut as I have a few techniques I use depending on the size of the part and the card thickness.  Small thick laminated parts I take multiple small slices etc. Some times I will file the shape in to sheet brass so I have a hard edge 'ruler' to follow and a few more techniques.  I am sure others have methods to share also if you can elaborate what the issue is. 

Cheers

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

• The title was changed to USS Choctaw by Canute - Heinkel Models - 1/200 scale - CARD