Koch - Russian polar ship by IgorSky - BOTTLE - 1/1000 - Finished

I started very small project to digress a little from my other "prolonged" projects.

A little history from book "Koch – Russian polar ship: research and reconstruction problems": Koch – unique polar ship of pre Peters time is presented. Created by the Pomors, Koch became the only ship in the world that was adapted to sail in the ice conditions during the Epoch of Great Geographical Discoveries. Due to Koch, Russian manufactures and explorers could begin mastering of the Northern Sea Way, colonise the vast northern area, and found new settlements beyond the polar circle. Nowadays there are only written witnesses about Koch but the exact outlook and ships construction is unknown.

Based on archaeological excavations and scientific research of recent years the reconstruction program of Russian koch and preparation of the historical experiment to sail by the reconstructed ship was proposed. Realisation of this program will let Russian koch to be placed among the unique objects of World heritage such as the balsa raft «Коп-Tiki», reconstructed by Tour Heyerdal, and papyrus boat "Ra".

When building the model I use these drawings from the magazine "Modelist Constructor" 1973, №10

post-17539-0-76052200-1439384855.jpg

post-17539-0-63043700-1439385031_thumb.jpg

By the way, the second reason why I wanted to start this project was this "bottle":

post-17539-0-52534400-1439385274_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-19377900-1439385284_thumb.jpg

I use the traditional materials: body - light pear, pink pear, bamboo for the mast.

So I am starting with the manufacture of the deck-top part of hull and bottom underwater hull.

This technique I use when the size of the model does not allow to make for deck plating in the traditional way.

post-17539-0-34821300-1439386508_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-13137200-1439386519_thumb.jpg

I take it treenails are out of the question! A great start. Good luck :)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

She's coming along nicely.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Patrick, ioannis, Bob and Carl!

Thank you for your words of encouragement and thanks all for yours LIKEs!

A small yesterday's update here - I have added the pumps and the barrel:

post-17539-0-45156100-1439456844_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-01242700-1439456853_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-16101600-1439456860_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-91255600-1439456866_thumb.jpg

Best Regards!

Igor.

Edited by IgorSky

Wow... it looks to me like your ships just keep get smaller and smaller... and still with lots of details.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow... it looks to me like your ships just keep get smaller and smaller... and still with lots of details.

Yea , soon we'll all need l magnifying glasses to see your work.  Amazing. :D 

Do ya ever have any shortage of material to transform ? ;) 

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Thanks Mark, SOS, David and all for yours LIKEs!

David, all these parts are very easy to make.

The pump consists of the piece of the syringe needle of 0.6 mm diameter, the piece of wood 0,3x0,3x0,5 mm and the piece of wire diameter 0.15 mm.

Barrel made of bamboo toothpicks and the thin black thread.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi Carl and Patrick! Thanks for LIKES!

Carl, yes, my trained ants have made the my order as I wanted. ))

You can look more about of this type of ships here:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%BE%D1%87

http://tehno-science.ru/history-2791.html

Best Regards!

Igor.

What a stunning little boat.  You seem to make them smaller all the time.  Is there a contest for who can make the smallest SIB?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Carl and Patrick! Thanks for LIKES!

Carl, yes, my trained ants have made the my order as I wanted. ))

You can look more about of this type of ships here:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%BE%D1%87

http://tehno-science.ru/history-2791.html

Best Regards!

Igor.

Any chance to get a translation ... my Russian has been oxidised to nothing

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

What kind if line are you using and the source? And what species of wood are you working with?

David B

Pp

Any chance to get a translation ... my Russian has been oxidised to nothing

Hi Carl,

Please, look at here:

https://translate.google.ru/translate?hl=ru&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fru.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F%D0%9A%D0%BE%D1%87

https://translate.google.ru/translate?hl=ru&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftehno-science.ru%2Fhistory-2791.html

This is the translations made by the google translator.

Best Regards!

Igor.

What a stunning little boat.  You seem to make them smaller all the time.  Is there a contest for who can make the smallest SIB?

Bob

Hi Bob,

This is not the smallest of my models ))

Please, look at these galeries of the miniSiBs:

sml_gallery_17539_1175_82468.jpg

sml_gallery_17539_1178_6371.jpg

But my wife does not like too small models of SiB ))