Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modeling the Extreme Clipper Young America 1853

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania USA

Hull length is 238',  about 230' at the waterline, keel is about 220'.

Ed

• mtaylor likes this

Chasseur

Chasseur
  • Members
  • 331 posts
Ahhhh this ship would look really good inside a commercial light bulb. The book might would be a great addition to my library. So many projects so little time!
Jeff
  • mtaylor likes this

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,591 posts

Addendum 4 to Volume I

Attached are Forecastle Pattern pdfs that correct the carrick bitt patterns and add dimensional information for these.  The purpose of this modification is to clarify windlass axle bore sizes for both 1:72 and 1:96 scales and to help ensure that the windlass drive gears clear both the deck and the underside of the forecastle breast beam.

Also attached is pdf for frame Xa, corrected to add toptimber bolt holes.

Attached Files

Edited by EdT, 27 July 2016 - 02:04 PM.

• mtaylor, Capt.Bob, Chasseur and 1 other like this

slackwater

slackwater
  • Members
  • 1 posts

I just bought your book and it's fantastic. I'm strongly considering it for my next build. I saw the mini wood hand screw clamps throughout the book and wondering where you got them? 

Mark

• mtaylor, EdT, Capt.Bob and 1 other like this

allanyed

allanyed

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,144 posts
  • LocationAve Maria, Florida

Mark

Ed has some very good drawings on making the simple screw clamps, flexible screw clamps and planking clamps like you see in his build logs in volume I of his Naiad books on pages 215 through 218.  Just one of many great things to be found in his Naiad books.

Allan

• mtaylor, EdT, druxey and 2 others like this

Current Builds Litchfield (50) 1730, Effie M. Morrissey  

I can explain it to you but I can't comprehend it for you - Ed Koch, former NYC mayor

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,591 posts

Thank you, Mark, for your response to the book and for interest in building the model.  It has been a great experience for me - both the full-framed 1:72 model and the 1:96 hull.  The subject is certainly a beautiful ship.  If you decide to build one version or the other, please consider a build log on MSW.  You will get a lot of help - and a lot of satisfaction from that.  I know I do.

As Allan says, The Naid Frigate, Volume I contains an appendix on toolmaking that includes drawings and text on making three types of clamps, the flexible wood screw calmps, a simpler version of these, and the planking clamps that I have used on both Naiad and YA.  I have been pleased to see a number of modelers on MSW adopting these tools and other fixtures described in that first Naiad book.  Also, in that appendix is a section on making and hardening small chisels that will be very helpful in small hardwood joinery.  I will be most interested if you decide to proceed with YA - or make any of the tools.

Than you, Allan and Happy New Year to you - and to everyone at MSW as well.

Ed

• trippwj, mtaylor, AnobiumPunctatum and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.