Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modeling the Extreme Clipper Young America 1853

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania USA

Addendum 3 to Volume I

This addendum addresses a number of inconsistencies between sidings shown on frame patterns and sidings specified on the List of Dimensions.  As a general rule, the List of Dimensions should be considered the governing source for dimensional data and should be consulted before sizing any pieces.  For convenience, siding dimensions were shown on the patterns.  Placing dimensional data in more than one place is bad practice and usually results in inconsistencies, as it did with a number frame patterns.  These inconsistencies and a few other minor issues have been corrected and revised patterns are attached.  Patterns not included in the attached need no correction.

The sidings for cant and half frames given in the List of Dimensions are generalized.  The specific sizes for each of these frames can be taken correctly from the patterns.

In virtually all cases, the corrected sidings differ from those on the original patterns by 1 or sometimes 2 inches (.014” to .028” actual).  In most cases the pattern differences resulted from transitions to the reduced sizes at the ends of the hull, being taken at different stations than specified on the List of Dimensions.  Since decisions on where to place these transitions was somewhat arbitrary, since size differences are small, and considering that most of the upper futtocks will be covered by outer planking, some may consider these corrections somewhat academic.  However, this should not be license for inconsistencies in the information.  I for one, consider precision to be important and regret these errors in the original package.  All the addenda will be included on the CD in the next volume.

An updated pattern sheet for the bow timbers is also attached.  The original labeled both sides stbd.

Ed

Attached Files

• Attached File  1to72 Bow Timbers Patterns.pdf   17.34KB   132 downloads
  • Attached File  2f.pdf   15.7KB   95 downloads
  • Attached File  17a.pdf   14.32KB   77 downloads
  • Attached File  17f.pdf   15.37KB   62 downloads
  • Attached File  18a.pdf   14.38KB   60 downloads
  • Attached File  19a.pdf   14.41KB   51 downloads
  • Attached File  20a.pdf   14.22KB   58 downloads
  • Attached File  21a.pdf   14.63KB   49 downloads
  • Attached File  22a.pdf   14.64KB   62 downloads
  • Attached File  23a.pdf   14.58KB   51 downloads
  • Attached File  24a.pdf   14.66KB   61 downloads
  • Attached File  25a.pdf   14.65KB   56 downloads
  • Attached File  26a.pdf   14.6KB   60 downloads
  • Attached File  27a.pdf   14.65KB   59 downloads
  • Attached File  27f.pdf   15.21KB   53 downloads
  • Attached File  28a.pdf   14.72KB   62 downloads
  • Attached File  Aa.pdf   15.84KB   63 downloads
  • Attached File  Af.pdf   15.5KB   66 downloads
  • Attached File  Ba.pdf   14.89KB   46 downloads
  • Attached File  Bf.pdf   15.68KB   62 downloads
  • Attached File  Ca.pdf   14.99KB   57 downloads
  • Attached File  Da.pdf   14.81KB   55 downloads
  • Attached File  Ea.pdf   16.98KB   56 downloads
  • Attached File  Ef.pdf   15.89KB   49 downloads
  • Attached File  Fa.pdf   15.29KB   59 downloads
  • Attached File  Ff.pdf   17.48KB   55 downloads
  • Attached File  Ga.pdf   17.31KB   66 downloads
  • Attached File  Gf.pdf   15.81KB   53 downloads
  • Attached File  Ha.pdf   15.11KB   62 downloads
  • Attached File  Hf.pdf   15.85KB   44 downloads
  • Attached File  Ja.pdf   14.93KB   52 downloads
  • Attached File  Ra.pdf   15.22KB   53 downloads
  • Attached File  Rf.pdf   15.82KB   55 downloads
  • Attached File  Sa.pdf   15.44KB   56 downloads
  • Attached File  Sf.pdf   15.94KB   53 downloads
  • Attached File  Ta.pdf   15.11KB   56 downloads
  • Attached File  Tf.pdf   15.35KB   60 downloads
  • Attached File  Uf.pdf   15.83KB   108 downloads

• mtaylor, gjdale, Mahuna and 1 other like this

nelson58

nelson58
  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

I have been considering getting this book so I can model the framework in 1/96th scale for a diorama on a model railroad. But I am thinking it might be too long for what I need. Can you tell me the keel to keel length in 1/96"? I am guessing it is about 30".

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,556 posts

Hull length is 238',  about 230' at the waterline, keel is about 220'.

Ed

• mtaylor likes this

Chasseur

Chasseur
  • Members
  • 301 posts
Ahhhh this ship would look really good inside a commercial light bulb. The book might would be a great addition to my library. So many projects so little time!
Jeff
  • mtaylor likes this

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,556 posts

Addendum 4 to Volume I

Attached are Forecastle Pattern pdfs that correct the carrick bitt patterns and add dimensional information for these.  The purpose of this modification is to clarify windlass axle bore sizes for both 1:72 and 1:96 scales and to help ensure that the windlass drive gears clear both the deck and the underside of the forecastle breast beam.

Also attached is pdf for frame Xa, corrected to add toptimber bolt holes.

Attached Files

Edited by EdT, 27 July 2016 - 02:04 PM.

• mtaylor, Capt.Bob, Chasseur and 1 other like this

slackwater

slackwater
  • Members
  • 1 posts

I just bought your book and it's fantastic. I'm strongly considering it for my next build. I saw the mini wood hand screw clamps throughout the book and wondering where you got them? 

Mark

• mtaylor, EdT, Capt.Bob and 1 other like this

allanyed

allanyed

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationAve Maria, Florida

Mark

Ed has some very good drawings on making the simple screw clamps, flexible screw clamps and planking clamps like you see in his build logs in volume I of his Naiad books on pages 215 through 218.  Just one of many great things to be found in his Naiad books.

Allan

• mtaylor, EdT, druxey and 2 others like this

Current Builds Litchfield (50) 1730, Effie M. Morrissey  

I can explain it to you but I can't comprehend it for you - Ed Koch, former NYC mayor

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,556 posts

Thank you, Mark, for your response to the book and for interest in building the model.  It has been a great experience for me - both the full-framed 1:72 model and the 1:96 hull.  The subject is certainly a beautiful ship.  If you decide to build one version or the other, please consider a build log on MSW.  You will get a lot of help - and a lot of satisfaction from that.  I know I do.

As Allan says, The Naid Frigate, Volume I contains an appendix on toolmaking that includes drawings and text on making three types of clamps, the flexible wood screw calmps, a simpler version of these, and the planking clamps that I have used on both Naiad and YA.  I have been pleased to see a number of modelers on MSW adopting these tools and other fixtures described in that first Naiad book.  Also, in that appendix is a section on making and hardening small chisels that will be very helpful in small hardwood joinery.  I will be most interested if you decide to proceed with YA - or make any of the tools.

Than you, Allan and Happy New Year to you - and to everyone at MSW as well.

Ed

• trippwj, mtaylor, AnobiumPunctatum and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.