Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mayflower by donrobinson - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - scale 1:64

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPrince Albert Saskatchewan Canada

I have been around here for a couple of months reading and admiring other builds, I decided it is finally time to add my little bit.

My current build is the AL Mayflower @ 1:64, I started this in June of this year. I won't bother you with the build from the start but will show you how she looks today and will do my best to keep you updated.

When I started this build it was my intention to change most of the wood as being recently retired and having lots of time I wanted to utilize my arsenal of new tools. With that I have used pear, blood wood, maple, Osage orange and a couple of veneers I am not sure of the names.

When I started this hobby in January of this year I also bought all of Bob Hunt's practicums, so I am also using this a guide.

Here are the pictures:

There are more coming, it is saying the files are too big although they are all the same size, I will figure it out and send more in a bit

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0535.jpg
  • 100_0536.jpg
  • 100_0537.jpg
  • 100_0538.jpg

Edited by donrobinson, 04 May 2016 - 04:24 AM.

• riverboat, Dubz, canoe21 and 12 others like this

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

Two more, they seem to loose clarity for some reason

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0541.jpg
  • 100_0539.jpg
  • 100_0540.jpg

Edited by donrobinson, 18 September 2015 - 03:55 PM.

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

Sorry about pictures, I am not sure why they aren't clear

GuntherMT

GuntherMT
  • Members
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

They look fine Don, the forum makes them smaller, but when you click on them they display full size.

You can post images that are 1200 pixels on the long side, and up to 2mb in your posts here, and they'll show at a size to fit into the post, but then expand when clicked on.

• Dimitris71 likes this

Dimitris71

Dimitris71
  • Members
  • 677 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Hello Don, wonderful job you've done on your build, very clean and neat...I' m looking forward to seeing your new updates... :) :)

Kind regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

100_0557.jpg 100_0558.jpg 100_0560.jpg 100_0560b.jpg

Not too much to report, this is the result of three attempts to copy a technique I seen Blue Ensign used on his Pegasus build, I hoped I haven't failed him too much. The biggest problem I had was using the nylon thread(shown), it contrasted real nice until I added glue then it turned almost translucent. I have since ordered some Syren rope. I lashed the anchors instead of the usual shrink wrap, I'm not sure if this was a normal practice or not but it was in the instructions so I thought I would give a whirl. The anchors are painted with Model Master "Gun Metal #4681"

100_0573.jpg 100_0574.jpg

The rudder was relatively easy other than spending almost two hours building the tiller handle, installing the tiny little nail heads and making the square hole for tiller handle to go in. Only to find out last night that I need to cut it off as when it is inserted into the counter there is not enough room to lift it up onto the gudgeons. Only other option, I can see, would be to remove the pins and glue the rudder on stationary.

I really don't think I will be up underneath showing anyone the tiller but in all likelihood I would show someone that the rudder actually moves. So the tiller goes

Have a Good Day

• riverboat, canoe21, yvesvidal and 12 others like this

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

Thanks Dimitris, great to have you stop by

• Dimitris71 likes this

LA Don

LA Don
  • Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Beautiful work.  I have my sights on the Mayflower in the future.

• Dimitris71 likes this

GuntherMT

GuntherMT
  • Members
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

Looking great Don!

I like the rope on the anchor, looks good, and with the time period of the ship, who knows, might be the correct way to do it too.  I mostly used shrink-tubing on the AVS because it's really easy and looks good, compared to the kit suggested method of using brass, which I know I would have strugglee with.

• Dimitris71 likes this

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

Thanks LA Don and Brian, good of you to stop in

• Dimitris71 and slow2cool like this

Sephirem

Sephirem
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Looking good. I remember when I started the build of her. I haven't completly finished it as I hate rigging but giving me some ideas of things I can go back on and redo.

• Dimitris71 likes this

Tim

Current builds: San Fran II AL, Santa Maria AL

Finished Builds: Sharpie Shooner Midwest

riverboat

riverboat
  • Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationRiverside, Calif.

Very , very nice build Don.......... like your choice on the woods, lot of nice work there on the hull  and deck fittings..... thanks for your

nice comments on my build...... keep up the good work!!

Frank

• Dimitris71 likes this

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Great work so far, Don. She´s coming beautifully out. Keep the pictures coming!  :)

• Dimitris71 likes this

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

Tim: Glad to hear you have found some ideas to use, I don't think too many people relish the idea of rigging but it is just one of those steps we have to struggle with ;)

Frank: Thanks so much, I love to change up kit woods for something different I have the time and most of the tools so I always think "why Not"

Vivian: Great you stopped by, I am busy building the Amati Trabacollo and the Amati Carriage, both Christmas presents(grandson and granddaughter), so there won't be many pictures till these are done and delivered. I am, however, looking forward at getting back at her and at that point I will defiantly post more pictures 

Thanks Again

Jolley Roger

Jolley Roger
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Hi Don,

She's looking sharp!

I'm also busy with the AL Mayflower, but i'm a bit behind on the dragcurve, bit of a slow builder.

There are not that many buildlogs for the AL Mayflower(not that I could find), so i'm following your build with interest.

Waiting in anticipation for the next installment!

• Dimitris71 likes this

Current build log: Mayflower - Artesania Latina   18050200-lg.jpg

Finished build: Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina

In the stash:

Billing Boats Bounty

Billing Boats Marie Jeanne

Scientific Bluenose

Midwest Sharpie Schooner

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

Hi Roger, Thanks for your comments you are right....there is not many AL Mayflower builds I was surprised. I will be starting this one up again after Christmas, hopefully see you then.

RRLittle

RRLittle
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Looking forward to following this thread. Nice work so far!

- Robert

• Dimitris71 and donrobinson like this

Current Project - 

Dover Cut & Assemble "Santa Maria", 1/96

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

Thanks Robert, I am very close to starting her up again as I am almost done my other build. Hopefully will have some progress to show within a couple of weeks.

Have a Good Day

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts

I managed to sneak a little time to work on the Mayflower, thought I would show some updates;

100_0663.jpg 100_0664.jpg 100_0665.jpg

These are showing the process I used to make the chain plates, the plans had me using rope to make them. They actually worked out good and look not too bad.

100_0667.jpg 100_0668.jpg

Here the channels with chain plates are installed. Chain plates are not fastened down yet.

100_0669.jpg 100_0670.jpg

And these are showing the rudder, I still need to put nails in yet.

Not much to show, but every little bit adds up. Now back to Santa's shop

Have a Good Day

ragove

ragove
  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLeesburg, Virginia

Very nice work. The mix of wood types makes for a stunning model.

RAG

Edited by ragove, 07 December 2015 - 03:11 PM.

• Dimitris71 and donrobinson like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.