Trabaccolo by donrobinson - FINISHED - Amati - with a little Santa bashing

This is a kit I should have started a while back as I promised my grandson a boat for Christmas, funny how the time passes by.

At any rate I am starting it today. It is one of Amati's easier kits so I am hoping to make the big deadline. I'm thinking my other two builds Mayflower and Pegasus will not get too much attention as I also have the Amati Carriage to build for my granddaughter :o. Things will be busy around here for a bit.

First thing to note with this kit is to enjoy the English on the front of the box as that is the last of it. All instructions are in Italian and the plans don't really include measurements, There is quite a bit I can figure out but some I am not too sure, therefore the "Santa Bashing" will cut in. I am hoping to change some items such as hull planking, it looks like only the part beneath the bulwarks is planked so I will plank all of that. I am also thinking of adding a couple of swivel guns and maybe some deck furniture, I'll see how time permits.

So far I have dryfitted all the bulkheads and the deck, was very impressed how it all came together with no sanding required so far. Next up is to do some fairing to some the bulkheads and filler blocks then glue. I am hoping to have this done tonight.

More to follow

post-20628-0-63958000-1444778225_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-29019900-1444866017_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-96565700-1444865997_thumb.jpg

Got these pictures in the wrong order but should be easy enough to follow. The plan for today was to do a quick paint job on these sails then start gluing bulkheads on boat(supposed to have been done last night). Well I'm a little embarrassed to say these took all day(7hrs), and I still have to paint the other side yet.

They are pretty much all painted by brush some of it, Including the straight black lines, I used a painting pen. Not sure if you are familiar with these but they come in real handy, especially for touch ups. They are actual paint and not coloured markers, available at most art and craft stores.

The paint I used was just a cheap acrylic paint, the gold is MS paint.

Well that's it for now, Thanks for looking in

I am pulling up a chair as well for the same reason and also I have never seen this type before.

David B

Hi Rick and David, Thanks for stopping by. Rick I would gladly do a comparison on that, although, with this model there is going to be so little sanding and the there is no rabbit joint that I can see. I can say that I have started my Pegasus, which is MDF, and I quite like it. Carving out the deadwood and rabbit joint was much easier in my mind, it was much easier to cut away and get a smooth surface compared to plywood. The only drawback, maybe, is that you don't have the layers of plywood to guide you as how much you are taking off and if you are equal on both sides. I have not started to fair the hull on the Pegasus yet but I think it will be easier compared to plywood. I have used mdf on lots of other projects in the past and always thought sanding and shaping it was one of it's main attributes.

I will defiantly keep you posted on that.

Like David, I'm pulling up a chair to watch this build. I've got an Amati/Victory Granado in the stash, so any tips I can glean on these brand kits will be a plus.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

You are welcome to join in Ken

post-20628-0-05003300-1445351199_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-80484200-1445351226_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-75559800-1445351249_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-95757700-1445351273_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-41045800-1445351299_thumb.jpg

A little progress made. The plans were a little vague concerning the centre hatch, on picture shows it being cut out and the next shows it being planked over. The false deck is not cut out for this but I decided I will cut it out to add a little more detail and more for my little captain to look at. The fore hatch is quite small on the plans only having a ladder going to lower deck, this will also be enlarged in order to view details.

Hardwood flooring was added after painting the walls brown, then I decided to plank walls and paint white for easier viewing.

The first picture is showing the racks for the barrels and some shelving I built, although you can't see them when it is all said and done they were fun to build.

In the captain's quarters the ladder is kit supplied the shelf and bed are extras which are made from walnut and Osage orange.

In the storage room the barrels were darkened by roughly painting black then rubbing off with fingers, I added a ladder for easier access, this made from walnut.

The sail room is complete with shelves, blocks, spare anchor rope , sail material and ladder.

Well that's it for now, the plan calls to install false deck and then plank, I'll see what changes that brings.

Later

Thanks David, I'm hoping my Grandson has the same reaction :)

post-20628-0-57079900-1445512533_thumb.jpg

I just had to show this.

A short time ago I talked to Rick @ The Modeller's Workshop and was complaining about the empty shelf space I had and the dusting involved trying to keep them clean. :)  ;)

Well this is the solution we arrived at and I must say they fit the shelves perfectly and the dusting is down quite a bit now.

If anyone finds themselves in the same situation  contact Rick, he is a great help and has awesome service.

Thanks Again Rick

I was unaware you working on this, Don.  Very interesting build.  I'll be following along.  I've always been fascinated by below deck details in ship models.  The POF AVS I'm working on has a lower deck, and I have AL's "Bounty" on the shelf, which has a fully detailed interior.

Thanks Dave, it has been a fun build so far. A good stress relief kit as it has every thing but not so much of it all( planking, rigging etc.) and also lots of room for changes.

Your AVS is looking great by the way

Thanks Rick,

Actually I am not past the sail painting yet :) , I still have to paint the other side yet. I have been busy with the carriage the last couple days and having lots of fun with that so far. There so many fittings to be attached, I was really surprised, all are very detailed and will make for a beautiful build. Amati has done a beautiful job on this kit and I know my granddaughter is going to be real happy. This is such a wonderful Christmas gift and one that I will have no problem completing in time. I will post a picture when it is done.

post-20628-0-71937500-1445948544_thumb.jpg

First picture is the carriage I'm making for granddaughter, this picture is for Rick showing the placement of the spokes and some of the decorations involved(hope you enjoy Rick)

post-20628-0-67987900-1445948717_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-49876600-1445948750_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-38821400-1445948780.jpgpost-20628-0-38567200-1445948812_thumb.jpg

The next pictures are of my progress on the Trabaccolo, I have finished the decking with little changes, the only change here is the middle plank (king plank?). I replaced that with a strip of Osage Orange.

The hatch covers are completely changed both in shape and wood. The original covers had large planks covering the hatches, which I thought would eventually get lost. I re-designed them so they now have sliding covers which still allow viewing of the interior. These and the cabin cover are made from Osage Orange and Blood wood.

The cover for the cabin is just something I added just for aesthetics as the door does not open, although, I think it looks cool and hopefully grandson does too.

As you can see I have started the hull planking and will show more pictures later. I have decided not plank over any of the three lower holds which will allow better viewing, I'm hoping it will look ok.

That's it for now, today is carriage day so no updates on the Trabaccollo for a day or two.

Have a Good One

Real nice build Don....... really like the detail you've added, it makes for an interesting build. I'll be ckn in on your progress from time to time... Have fun!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Frank it's been a fun build so far

Rick I forgot to answer your question concerning the milling machine. Sherline tools has a rotary table($283.50) and combine it with a tilting angle table(115.50) and you will be able to drill holes at any angle. Now if you want the ultimate they have a cnc one also($761.25) you would just have to enter the number of holes into the machine and it will move the table for you, no more counting revolutions or trying to figure out degrees. Tim "the tool man Taylor" would love this one 

post-20628-0-90452100-1446588220_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-99954200-1446588249_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-05652500-1446588275_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-44983200-1446588300_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-38143700-1446588317_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-59454500-1446588341_thumb.jpg

I've made some progress since last time. As you can see I have opened the hull so that my little captain can get a better view inside. I thought that this will be easier than trying to open the hatches and catching some rigging, causing grandpa some repair work.

The capstan is the kit supplied one, it appears to be a little large for this size of boat but I decided not to try and rebuild, at this size my four year old grandson should have no problem seeing it. :)

I replaced the wales with different stock as the kit supplied wood which was much thicker would have been very difficult to make the lateral bend required.

The hull, on the port side, is now complete other than a couple of touch-ups that will wait until the end. This was my first attempt at painting a hull, on my other two builds I planked rather than painted. I never realized how much extra work it is to paint a hull and get that "perfect" finish, I now have a great amount of respect to those who choose to paint. There still is some flaws but can only be seen when held up to the light at a certain angle. I am sure if it ever gets held up in that fashion it will be dropped, thus taking any attention off of the painting flaws. :o  :)  :)

That's it for now,

Have a Good One

Hello Don , this is your 1st attempt to painting the hull? The painting job that you've done it's perfect...It's beautiful!!!

Kind regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hi Don,

'Little captain' will be happy with this ship for sure ... she looks precise and clean.

Thanks to all of you:

Dimitris: Thanks, it took along time(for me) and I think I was a little too fussy at times but I think it was worth the effort

Dave: I was a little worried when I first opened the hull, but now I am happy with it. I'm wishing now I would have opened one more hold, for the captains candy storage :)  :)

Zoran: Thanks for stopping in, I hope you are right. I'm a little worried that I am having more fun building it than he is going to have looking at it

Brian: It is more of a entry level kit so maybe that's why it is not seen very often. It is a lot of fun changing things on it and a little bit of stress relief from the more complicated kits

post-20628-0-16912700-1447338069_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-69409000-1447338089_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-63494000-1447338109_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-94095600-1447338440_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-00124300-1447338457_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-38863600-1447338473_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-78222400-1447338488_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-00984300-1447338505_thumb.jpg

Here is a little look as to what has happened since last post. I apologize for quality of pictures, this point and shoot camera is really not that good. Pictures explain what has happened so I won't bother to explain too much.

Next will be installing belaying pins, then install all deck furniture permanently then masts and rigging. 

Have a Good One

I agree with David.. Just beautiful...

Don, I received your Pm only in my e-mail, not in MSW . I send you a Pm but i am not sure that you received it... So... Thank you very much for your wishes Don, you are very kind.

Best Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don,

I just stopped by to see how work is progressing so far ... looks good ...

Regards

Thanks Zoran and Cabbie for stopping by

Last weeks progress was good as you can see the sails are up, some of the rigging still needs to be adjusted and belayed. All went as planned other than placement of sails, picture of boat shows fore sail on starboard side of mast and mainsail on port side of mast while the plans show both sails on starboard side of masts. The rigging has been relatively easy I have used a combination of hand tied seizing and zip seizing, anything that could be done off boat was done by hand and the rest using zip seizing.

Next is to finish up rigging and install rudder(almost forgot about this). Then if time permits I may add some fishing nets if I can find some sort of netting to use.

Take Care and Thanks for looking in

post-20628-0-10639200-1448279246_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-31895300-1448279272_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-56600100-1448279297_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-45492800-1448279329_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-78473100-1448279356_thumb.jpg

That looks awesome!!!.... love those sails.... Nice work Don..

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)