Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hurricane Island Pulling Boat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

grsjax

grsjax
  • Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationBig Island, Hawaii

Just picked up an old kit for a "Hurricane Island Pulling Boat".  Wondering if anyone has built or is familiar with this kit.

This is what I know so far.  The boat is a modified version of the old US Navy whaler designed for sail and oar.  The boats were built in the '70s for the Hurricane Island Outward Bound School.  The kit was made by Laughing Whale.  That is pretty much the sum of my knowledge.  If there are any build logs or other information out there I would really like to find it.

• mtaylor, catopower and Bobstrake like this

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

lakebased

lakebased
  • Members
  • 1 posts

The Hurricane island pulling boat kit was sold by The Laughing Whale company in the 1980's. An ad describing it can be found in the May/June 1982 Number 46 copy of Wooden Boat magazine. If a scan of this ad would help you, let me know. It was designed by the distinquished  American naval architect Cy Hamlin. His book " Primary Design of Boats and Ships" is a must read for anyone interested in boat designing. Mr. Hamlin is now in his nineties and very alert. He has  helped start a small but interesting museum of foreign boat models at The Landing School. I would be very interested in finding one of these models if the kit is complete. Hopefully this info helps you.

Edited by lakebased, 07 November 2015 - 11:25 PM.

• grsjax and Bobstrake like this

ccoyle

ccoyle

• Moderators
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina

Got some pix, grsjax?  I know there were kits that fell out of the Laughing Whale/Bluejacket/Midwest lineup, but I don't think I've heard of that particular one.

Chris Coyle
Greenville, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

catopower

catopower
  • Members
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

grsjax, I remember the kit, but unfortunately, I never built it.

I built a couple of the original Laughing Whale kits, the Sharpie and the Swampscott Dory. The Dory is now made by BlueJacket. I also still have the big Laughing Whale kit of the Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack in the closet. Had it for something like 15 years thinking it would be neat to build it for RC sail.

In general, the kits are a bit rough in the die-cut area, but their subjects are nice boats. The plans are pretty simple, but usable. Instructions are very basic as I recall. 

With a little work, should make a fine model. Hope to see a build log soon!

Clare

• mtaylor likes this

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hyde Street Pier Model Shipwrights

South Bay Model Shipwrights

Nautical Research Guild

Current Builds: HMS Victory, 1805; USS Saginaw, 1859 (on hold); Too many miscellaneous projects!

Recent Builds: HMS Alert, 1777 (Card Model)Tosa WasenYakatabune, Japanese Edo Period Pleasure Boat; Hacchoro, Japanese Traditional Fishing Boat; Higaki Kaisen, Japanese Edo Period Transport; 18th C. English Longboat; NY Pilot Boat Mary Taylor, 1850; Privateer Lively, 1813; HMS Fair Rosamond, 1831

grsjax

grsjax
  • Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationBig Island, Hawaii

Thanks for the info.  I will try and get a couple of pics posted in the next few days.  Looks like a nice kit.

• mtaylor likes this

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

dahawk7843

dahawk7843
  • Members
  • 1 posts

I am wondering if you built the Hurricane Island Pulling Boat kit?

I bought the kit back in 1995 and built most of the hull but cannot find the part I built after a move>  (still have the box, plans, and remaining material.)

I have been looking for another copy of the kit so I can complete it as a gift for my daughter who spent a couple of weeks on such a boat for an Outward Bound session.  If you have not built it and would be willing to part with it, please let me know.

David

• mtaylor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.