USCG Pequot (WARC-58) by Cap'n'Bob - 1:96 - Finished

Hello MSW,

It took quite a while but I finally decided on the boat to build.  I have a too long list and will probably not come close to building them all.  As I have said before I live in a small house without room to to display large boats.  The options are build small boats or build in small scale.  This time I chose small scale at 1:200 and cross my fingers that I do it justice.

The US Coast Guard Pequot (WARC-58). 

During WWII this cable ship laid top secret Indicator Loop cables to protect harbors from German U-boats. Her mission ranged from the ports of Virginia up to Argentia, Newfoundland.

The Pequot was built in 1909 by the New York Shipbuilding Company in Camden, New Jersey with the name General Samuel M. Mills and first commissioned as an Army mine layer. As a twin screw ship she was able to conduct the critical maneuvering required for precise cable laying operations. The Pequot had a length of 166' and a beam of 32'. With a draft of 13' she displaced 1106 tons. During wartime the crew consisted of 6 officers and 63 enlisted men. The ship was armed with two 20mm automatic fire cannons. On top of the rear cabin her signal letters and radio call sign, NRFQ, was painted so aircraft could raise the ship on the radio. The Pequot's official visual call sign as designated by the Chief of Naval Operations was W58.

Pequot was named after an Indian tribe resident in Southern Connecticut, members of the Algonquian language grouping.

From the information and pictures I‘ve been able to able to find the Pequot and her sisters were of riveted steel for the hull and maim deck housing.  Above that she was wood. So it look like I’ll be re-studying the build style of MSW member Nils (Mirabell61).

Bob

As the General Samuel M. Mills

post-513-0-53752200-1446154556_thumb.jpg

As the Pequot

post-513-0-90853800-1446154566.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob, I think I will pull up a stool and watch as well. Guys just don't get upset if I get popcorn all over.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Welcome All, the more the merrier.  I hope there's enough popcorn for everyone.  I only ask that you don't get popcorn oil where I need to glue.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

I'll squeeze in the back for this one, too. Looks like a very interesting subject!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Welcome, Ben, Mike and Dave.  I constantly scan the web, using different phrases, looking for interesting boats.  When I see something on Google images  I go to their home page to see what they have.  Sometimes it's good and sometimes not.  For those interested in the Pequot check out this website.

http://indicatorloops.com/usn_pequot_plans.htm

Bob

I'm really looking forward to following along.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I am too.

Bob

What a lovely Project Bob,

I love old steamboats, will be following along as you go...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Bob,

I just took another look at the plans and views you are going to base your  new Pequot model on (General Mills).

It really is a good choise, and congrats, you have great luck to have detected these fab. supporting documents with your web research (pics and drawings). Trust there will be all you need for a wonderful model.

The scale 1:200 is quite an ambitious one, but your need for smaller models at limited space is well understood

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Bob Looks very interesting, that is a lot of detail at 1:200 basically the engineering scale for 1/16th. the website that you linked to is a great wealth of information for your model, if only every boat and ship we wanted to build had such great detailed first pages.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Cap'n'Bob, Count me in, this looks like its going to be a fantastic build 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nils, Michael, Pete,  welcome to you all.  1:200 is smaller then I have worked before but I won't know unless I try.  Nils at first I wanted to wrap the hull in foil with the rivets, like you do, but I think the scale is too small.  As Michael said 1/16" = 12" or 1" = .005" (.127mm)  As for detail we will all, me too, have to wait and see what these old fingers can still do.  Lets see, a 6" block is 1/32" (0.8mm) .  What line do you use to strop a block that small?  Do I have this right, if I see the real boat at a distance of 50 feet, at this scale it is the equivalent of 10,000 feet or nearly 2 miles (3k)?  Thinking like that, I would take a thin stick, paint it a pale fuzzy gray and say that's it 2 miles away.  No, I can't think like that, people will be seeing it from 1 to 3 feet ah well it will be an interesting build.

Bob

I am looking forward to this build, Bob. I love the small boats you have built in the past and this one looks like a really interesting subject.

Thanks Tom and welcome aboard.

Bob

I thought the heading was cumbersome, so I changed it.  Hope no one gets lost. 

Bob

More changes.  I've decided to build in 1:96 instead of 1:200. 

Bob

That is the scale I have worked in for years Bob.  Saves space so you can get the model in the car.

David B

Hi Bob,

the change to scale 1:96 is a good choise. Have you decided if you build in horizontal layers, or on frames / bulkheads ?

The later will be a nice planking job to do, but the twin screw hull surely will look great with it`s  527 mm length

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I see that at least three of you agree that 1:96 is the way to go.  So now to start.  I traced the lines in AutoCad and developed the bulkheads and keel.  Then I used the scroll saw and belt sander to create lots of sawdust.  What was left is pictured below.  Her lines are better than I had expected all 20.75” inches of her.  And now it’s on to planking.

Bob

post-513-0-64439600-1446915333_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-55365800-1446915342_thumb.jpg

congrats to keel laying Bob,

all Looks good, and the Stern filling is shaped also....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very Nice Bob, She's looking great, Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/