USCG Pequot (WARC-58) by Cap'n'Bob - 1:96 - Finished

Frank and Wayne,  You're not late, I barely got started.  Glad you could make it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Glad to have you aboard, Lawrence. Grab some popcorn from  steamschooner and join the party.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hello Bob, you are off to a great start ! This looks a very interesting ship to build!! I will follow along if you don't mind. :)

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Dimitris, please come aboard and join the party.  the more the merrier.

Bob

I agree join the Party 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Bob,

Wonderful subject to model. I'm with everyone else; 1:96 is a good choice, and 20" isn't terribly long. I'm gathering that you're pretty good with the computer. Not only in finding your source site, but also in maneuvering autocad. I love it when us older guys can manipulate the new technology!

Tom

Edited by TBlack

Tom, Welcome aboard.  I went from drafting board to AutoCAD in the early 80's and then to SolidWorks in the mid 90's.  When I came back to AutoCAD in retirement I had to learn 2D all over again.  Ah the joys of ageing a lot of things are new again.

Bob

Not much done but the hull is getting there.  Here are pictures of the bow. stern and rudder area.

Bob

post-513-0-37329400-1447865262_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-97998000-1447865271_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-34889500-1447865281_thumb.jpg

Wow, Bob From frame to fully planked in about 10 days? But it is a small scale so the planks are also small. What did you use to plank her with... Bass?

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

I do almost everything in bass.  Where strength is needed I use ply and I may use other woods for trim.  But Bass is the wood I use most.

Bob

I'm with you, Patrick.  I always look forward to my next update.

Bob

Very Nice Hull, Bob, She's looking good, excellent work 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Pete and David.

"Are you going to stain or paint her?"  Ah yes that's the big question.  She's a Coast Guard ship whit a steel hull that was probably painted Navy gray.  Steel, hum, that means no wood grain showing doesn't it.  Hum.  Well hopefully it will be a surprise,  Maybe to me as well.  Ah yes, just like a Zen master, I never know the end results until it happens.   

Bob

Good Progress Bob,

shape Looks very good, will be looking out for your surprise.... B)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 weeks later...

I add the deck, stem, bulwarks and rub rails.  The pin holes below the bulwarks are the locations of the port hole or lights.

Bob

post-513-0-21246000-1449255390_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-52857200-1449255398_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-29158800-1449255408_thumb.jpg

Nice work Bob,

the hull is looking very good with those rails, and bulwarks, also the bowpost very nice........ ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looking really Good Bob, Shes coming together rather nicely

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thanks to all of you for the words and the likes.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Usually I build my models from hull lines and photographs.  So there’s a lot of guesswork that goes on.  But I’m sure glad I have good drawings this time because I’ve never seen the bollards and cleats mounted on the bulwarks instead of the deck.  And I wouldn’t have believed 36” cleats.  But here it is.  There is an ‘L’ shaped steel plate riveted to the bulwark and deck and then the cleats and bollards are mounted to the plates.

Bob

Laying out the cleats.

post-513-0-73608400-1450032354_thumb.jpg

Bollard and cleat mounted.

post-513-0-72724400-1450032707_thumb.jpg

It is nice to have detailed plans to follow. Your build is coming along nicely Bob.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History