Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tips for photographing your models

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

daddyrabbit1954

daddyrabbit1954
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Slog

What about LED lights. Are they sufficient, I wonder? There are some incredibly bright LED lights available these days and they give off very little heat. I have a little LED flashlight that's NiMh powered, and it casts a beam of light like nothing else I've ever seen. Will easily light a target 200 meters away.

• avsjerome2003 and Canute like this

hollowneck

hollowneck
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationStratford, Connecticut

A tip for my fellow modelers about lighting: go to the URL link below.

In this site's search box, enter something simple like "LED lighting." There will be 1,717 options for LED lighting for photography - in a very wide price range. LED lights are now standard for most professional photographers; high output, color balanced, small, portable - and increasingly, more affordable.

Search under " Macro and ringlights"- this is a category modeler's should seriously consider, especially with today's large sensors that typically have extreme light sensitivity. For modeler's who own a DSLR I'd recommend a ringlight; no muss, no fuss, not too expensive. Nice, even lighting. Not a steep learning curve either.

This source/vendor below is mainly for pros but the definition of "pro" is changing as fast as everything else in the world!

www.bhphotovideo.com

Ron

• Mark P and Canute like this

daddyrabbit1954

daddyrabbit1954
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Wow - thanks for that link, Ron. Lots of nice products at what seem to be very reasonable prices.

I am so limited by what I don't know about this subject (photography). Makes me wish I had taken it more seriously many years ago, and studied the subject. Teaching an old dog like me, new tricks, is no small task.  :)

Craig

• Canute likes this

maturin

maturin
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA

I have to take studio-grade macro photographs everyday of my professional work as a rare book and illuminated manuscript conservator.   I also produce high-quality facsimilies and museum quality exhibit reproductions which require the highest (50 megapixel and up).   I shoot tethered to a computer and for the most part think much of the advice here is pretty good.  

HOWEVER.  I shoot almost all my model work with an iphone.   I simply dont have the time, or inclination to stop what Im doing to setup a small studio to take an in-process shot.   I didnt see anyone talking about this...   Anyhow, my point is this:

I love to see the final photography of everyones work, with high detail and plain backdrops and great lighting.   However...as a novice and someone learning from you guys...   Please, more shots of the truly in-process stuff.    The "I just planked my hull" shots are great, all polished its amazing how you got to that point....    but dont forget the value of grabbing a quick less than stellar shot of your clamping, your spiling technique, your sanding stick, your bench, your setup ANYTHING.    Many of us are trying to learn everything we can, often in isolation, with only this forum as a guide.     Now I know many of you are not here to teach, as much as you are here to show your work to other equally accomplished builders, however I will encourage and do appreciate those who are interested in teaching and hope they do not forget that much of what you probably consider mundane steps are things that some of us can benefit a great deal from.     

That is all...   use your crappy phone, take crappy photos...    Some us dont care and for very good reasons.   Best to all and thanks to all!!

:cheers:

• Pete38, riverboat, mtaylor and 16 others like this

“Wit is the unexpected copulation of ideas.” 
― Patrick O'Brian, Post-Captain

Current:

Mamoli - Puritan 1:50 

Model Shipways - 18th C. Longboat 1:48

In Pocket:

Mini-Mamoli - Brittania 1:177

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

daddyrabbit1954

daddyrabbit1954
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

That's a very refreshing viewpoint, Maturin. Thanks for sharing it. It takes a lot of heat off me when I worry so much about doing crappy pictures.

• Dee_Dee, Altduck, Jack12477 and 3 others like this

Modeler12

Modeler12
  • Members
  • 1,874 posts

I agree to some of these points; but would like to add some comments.

Taking pictures as I go along is a given for me.
How and what you use to do that is a matter of preference.

Since this work is stationary and don't require lots of movements, I will use my Cannon with tripod and some kind of background to do the 'routine'.
Again I might repeat this if a better view is needed.

I don't take pictures when I am torching some metal parts or just when I am ready to try something new. It comes later.

However, my camera (mounted or with tripod handy) is always ready.

Sorry, but my 'crappy phone' just is not good enough for me.

• mtaylor, dgbot, Jack12477 and 3 others like this

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworl...s-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworl...n-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

daddyrabbit1954

daddyrabbit1954
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Modeler 12

Which Cannon camera are you using?

Modeler12

Modeler12
  • Members
  • 1,874 posts

Modeler 12

Which Cannon camera are you using?

It's an old Rebel with a 28-135mm Image Stabelizing lens. I also have a smaller and lighter lens but I seldom use that.

Keep in mind that I use this camera around the house.

I have a small Panasonic DMC-ZS20 for travel and other uses.

In fact, I used that to make some videos. Some of those were posted here earlier.

and:

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor, Captain Slog and 4 others like this

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworl...s-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworl...n-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Dee_Dee

Dee_Dee
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationIllinois South of the 'Cheddar Curtain'

In a prior post I discussed how to use in camera 'live view' to get pinpoint focus.  Here's another option to shoot using 'live view' that's even better.  

Using an android device and an app, you can control your DSLR camera and view 'live view' on a large screen.  These apps work similar to DSLR field monitors (which can cost $400) and range in price from free to $10. 

Instead of trying to explain it, here are a couple of videos that demonstrate using a smart phone or tablet to control your DSLR camera. 

Use an android tablet as a live monitor for your DSLR camera

Turn your tablet into a preview / field monitor

For more information, google:  "Android DSLR controller Canon / Nikon / your camera brand"

Also, if you're using a tripod and have older Canon lens, be sure to turn the image stabilization off due to 'Shake Return'.  Canon is slowly fixing this. 

More information can be found here:  http://cpn.canon-eur...ation_lenses.do

Edited by Dee_Dee, 21 March 2016 - 06:00 PM.

• mtaylor, Captain Slog, GuntherMT and 2 others like this

Current Build

-  Dragon - Corel   One design International Class Yacht

Completed Builds

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop  -  Corel -Based on the 'Bergère de Domrémy' / 'The Shepherdess from Domrémy'          

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack  -  Scratch built based on drawings & info from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft"  with working center board!! 

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack  -  Midwest Kit Major Bash    

On the Shelf

- Glad Tidings-MS     - Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

10427354_10203056238189098_7201610402045

Ray1981

Ray1981
  • Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationItatiba, SP, Brazil

It's an old Rebel with a 28-135mm Image Stabelizing lens. I also have a smaller and lighter lens but I seldom use that.

Keep in mind that I use this camera around the house.

I have a small Panasonic DMC-ZS20 for travel and other uses.

In fact, I used that to make some videos. Some of those were posted here earlier.

and:

Ahhhh I know this is off topic but just wanted to mentioned that now I know who made these great videos that I found on youtube!!!

Thanks for doing that Modeler12 I really enjoy watching them and to be honest I donwloaded them for futures reference.

Grtz

Ray

• mtaylor and Canute like this

Captain Slog

Captain Slog
  • Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Hi Jay,

I am curious, do you narrate the your actions as you are performing them or film the activity and then narrate afterwards.  I would imagine describing the work as you go could prove quite difficult.

Also, if you're using a tripod be sure to turn the image stabilization off due to 'Shake Return'.

This is an interesting point.  When I am using the tripod I often forget to turn off the VR (Nikon's Vibration Reduction) and it doesn't seem to matter with my Nikon lenses, but with the Tamron lense the captured image is quite blurry and takes a few head scratching moments before I realise I haven't turned the VC (Tamrons Vibration Control) off. LOL 

• mtaylor likes this

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Build HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood)

Current Build Borodino (1:200 Card)

Abandoned Build Bismarck (Card)

Mazur D-350 (Card Vehicle - External site)

GuntherMT

GuntherMT
  • Members
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

This is an interesting point.  When I am using the tripod I often forget to turn off the VR (Nikon's Vibration Reduction) and it doesn't seem to matter with my Nikon lenses, but with the Tamron lense the captured image is quite blurry and takes a few head scratching moments before I realise I haven't turned the VC (Tamrons Vibration Control) off. LOL 

That's strange.  I don't have any issues with VR on the tripod on any of my Nikon lenses or my Sigma.  I'd never even heard of this before!

• mtaylor, Captain Slog and Canute like this

Captain Slog

Captain Slog
  • Members
  • 810 posts

That's strange.  I don't have any issues with VR on the tripod on any of my Nikon lenses or my Sigma.  I'd never even heard of this before!

yeah the Nikons are fine.  Its just the Tamron.  The VC in Tamrons is very 'aggressive'.  Off the Tripod you don't really notice the VR on the Nikons doing its thing but you notice the Tamron 'grabbing' the image and freezing it.  Works great but guessing the method used between VR and VC is different and why the Tamron needs to be switched off when on the tripod.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dee_Dee

Dee_Dee
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationIllinois South of the 'Cheddar Curtain'

Brian,

"Shake Return" is the name Canon gave to the 'feedback loop' problem in Canon lenses.  Canon is correcting this problem on their "L" lenses with an algorithm that recognizes when the lens is mounted to a tripod.  If your Canon lens has "IS II", it is a newer version and the 'feedback loop' has been fixed.    

Here's the link to Canon and a detailed explanation about "Shake return":  http://cpn.canon-eur...ation_lenses.do

Tamron lenses also needs the VC turned off.  After reading through numerous Tamron lens instruction manuals, it appears the Tamron VC needs to be turned off due to numerous issues.

Also, Slog misquoted me, which lead to the confusion.  Here's my original statement:

Also, if you're using a tripod and have older Canon lens, be sure to turn the image stabilization off due to 'Shake Return'.  Canon is slowly fixing this. 

More information can be found here:  http://cpn.canon-eur...ation_lenses.do

-vs-

Also, if you're using a tripod be sure to turn the image stabilization off due to 'Shake Return'.

Current Build

-  Dragon - Corel   One design International Class Yacht

Completed Builds

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop  -  Corel -Based on the 'Bergère de Domrémy' / 'The Shepherdess from Domrémy'          

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack  -  Scratch built based on drawings & info from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft"  with working center board!! 

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack  -  Midwest Kit Major Bash    

On the Shelf

- Glad Tidings-MS     - Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

10427354_10203056238189098_7201610402045

Captain Slog

Captain Slog
  • Members
  • 810 posts

Dee Dee,

I generalised your statement to reduce confusion.  

Taking your original quote on face value people may get the impression that only older Canon lenses suffer from stabilisation feedback whereas it is common knowledge that you turn off lense stabilisation when fitting a camera to a tripod regardless of the system in use. (DSLRs with lense stabilisation as I don't know how systems with in-body stabilisation is affected) 

Nikons VR doesn't seem to care but it is still good practice to turn it off.  Even though my current Nikkors are not effected who's to say others in their line-up will be.

In summary turn off the VR, VC, IS etc when putting your camera on a tripod regardless of the lenses you use and you won't go wrong.

Cheers

Slog 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.