i'm glad to  introduce you the new monography by ancre :

http://ancre.fr/fr/monographies/78-hermione-monographie.html

hermione-monographie.jpg

Edited by ofencer29350

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

There is actually 2 books. One is the monograph identified above and a second book on the history on the Hermione. According to the ANCRE website they will be released sometime early 2106. Definitely worth checking out

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

I find myself scaring myself when I look at that... tempting... very, very tempting.  And an excellent discount for pre-ordering adds to that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mike,

I'm probably not going to resist.... it's the building part.  I have more on shelf than I could ever build.. but this one.. might be the most fun. 

I'm going to follow my own advice here....  "Give into temptation.  It may only come this way once." :P  :P :P  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

From Wikipedia:

"La Hermione was built in eleven months at Rochefort, by the shipwright Henri Chevillard as a light (Frenchlégère) frigate, fast and maneuverable. Between May and December 1779 she underwent successful sea trials in the Gulf of Gascony under the command of Lieutenant de Latouche.

General La Fayette embarked at Rochefort on 11 March 1780 and arrived in Boston on 28 April carrying the secret news that he had secured French reinforcements (5,500 men and 5 frigates) for George Washington. After the dramatic failure of the Penobscot Expedition, a large military expedition to dislodge the British from their new stronghold at the confluence of the Bagaduce and the Penobscot River on the east bank of Penobscot Bay in Maine (an area later known as Castine), the revolutionary council of Massachusetts asked Latouche if he would be willing to sail to Penobscot Bay for a quick military intelligence-gathering cruise, checking on the strength of the British garrison at Fort George. The Hermione then made the week-long voyage in mid-May, after which the frigate sailed to Rhode Island.[2] Next, she got underway again on 2 June and suffered serious damage in the fierce but indecisive Action of 7 June 1780 against the 32-gun HMS Iris, under James Hawker.

Hermione received the American Congress on board in May 1781. She fought several times in company with the Astrée, commanded by Lapérouse, especially at the Naval battle of Louisbourg on 21 July 1781.

After the end of the American Revolutionary WarHermione returned to France in February 1782. She then formed part of a squadron sent to India to help Suffren against the British. However peace was declared and the ship returned to Rochefort in April 1784."

Interestingly, she fought HMS Iris of 32-guns, which had been earlier taken from the Continental Navy, and was formerly the US frigate Hancock.

Oh, Faith, Begorrah, and all the Saints in Heaven; I am sooo all over this. Ordered it.

Herminoe was designed by Pierre-Henri Chevillard and constructed under the supervision of his cousin Jean-Denis Chevillard, who became Ingénieur-Constructeur en Chef at the Rochefort Dockyard a few years later in 1781. They did the Charmante 32 and Concorde 32 Classes of frigates, as well as several 74s. The Chevillards are rather neglected, but their contributions to French ship design and shipbuilding techniques, while incremental, are as innovative and interesting as those of Guignace, Coulomb, Duhamel, Forfait and Sané (in my humble opinion).

This was the time of great change and evolution from early 18th century practice. Many of the new features were incorporated into the Revolutionary and Empire period ships. This was an exciting time !

Mike, Mark, if you are interested in French period ships (frigates mostly) this is a “must have” book. Imagine your historical bookshelf with empty periods. I am so glad that Editions Ancre have gone beyond Mr Boudriot’s death. Jean-Claude Lemineur is a worthy sucessor. I love his take on accuracy vs practicality. A man after my own heart. This is going to be a serious build monograph.

Just saying. John

I gave in... it's ordered.  Both of them.  I'm still thinking ahead to the next project and was thinking something British (HMS Roebuck) or US (Raleigh) as I'm fond of ships that haven't been modeled much.  

BTW, this is a good price break by ordering early.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I do too...  but.... sometimes you gotta' go with what is inside you. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

John: Like you I am glad to see ANCRE carrying on the tradition of amazing sets of monographs. I have the Le Belle Poule monograph so with ordering this one I will be really torn when I make that plunge and actually build a model using the detailed plans

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

A very tempting deal.  I am a sucker for a good book.  But I am not able to build it in the place I am in.  Besides I have enough on my plate already.  How about a review of them when you get them.  And I think you will make a fantastic model of her.

David B

John: Like you I am glad to see ANCRE carrying on the tradition of amazing sets of monographs. I have the Le Belle Poule monograph so with ordering this one I will be really torn when I make that plunge and actually build a model using the detailed plans

Mike Draper

Oh, woof. I got a preview from my French friends and Jean-Claude Lemineur's plans and drawings are absolutely first rate. Yes, I am doing plans for an 1810 Sane frigate, but I need to work with some wood so that the plans make sense. L'Hermione is at the cusp and very clearly resembles the Revolutionary designs; more so than Le Belle Poule (sorry). I've looked at the plans and drawings, and think they will work wonders for my eventual project.

Once I get the volume, I will be opening a Build Log and seriously disturbing my dog Beaudy's calm with whining saws and sprays of sawdust.

John

Hello.

Ancre is planning to launch its new monograph about L'Hermione, a frigate of the Independece War of America, in three different languages, including 34 plates at scale 1/48. More information here:

http://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/78-hermione-monographie-9782903179861.html

Best regards,

Jose

Edited: I'm sorry, I've just realized there was duplicated this topic. Thanks for moving it.

Edited by jose_b

rebuilt this ship is taking part of the great history  between the france and the youg américa 'independency!

a good present for christmas!

my personnal financial ministary  would make me happy????

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

• 3 weeks later...

David,

All but one of Mr. Delacroix's monographs are available in English.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

David,

All but one of Mr. Delacroix's monographs are available in English.

Are you certain about this? On Delacroix's website the ordering details of most of his monographs can be read in several languages but the monographs themselfs are mostly available in french (or italian...or spanish). For example there seems to be no english translation for Amarante, Diligente, Roquefort, Fleur de Lis and Aurore.

Are you certain about this? On Delacroix's website the ordering details of most of his monographs can be read in several languages but the monographs themselfs are mostly available in french (or italian...or spanish). For example there seems to be no english translation for Amarante, Diligente, Roquefort, Fleur de Lis and Aurore.

I looked at the list for descriptions and then a only a couple for actual ordering.. not the whole site. Luck of the draw, the ones I looked at had translations available.  My bad.  I'll go sit the corner for now. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hello again.

I've just received an email from Ancre about L'Hermione also available at 1/36 scale (hull: 134 cms.). This is the text:

"Prix / Price: 105 euro 32 Plans HERMIONE 1/36e scale. These plans are for the buyer monograhies of Hermione who want to make a model in 1/36 e scale. 32 plans because 2 plates 33 and 34 are not required to be in duplicate with those of monograhies . ( Running rigging and Hermione under sail). Plans Weight: 2.5 kg. (Limited Edition)."