Reading someones build log on one of the Russian forums,I found another technique for caulking.Apologies that I cannot name the builder,the translator keeps going into meltdown and my keyboard doesn't have a Cyrillic function.

To cut to the chase,the planking is laid with a 0.2 to 0.3mm gap between each strake.After sanding and cleaning the sanding debris out of the grooves and a couple of coats of oil,wax is applied into the gaps.This is the stick form used for repairing scratches in furniture.This is done cold.The wax is then consolidated with the end of a needle.I realise this is similar to Dimitry Shevelev's technique except he uses a bitumous finish to highlight the caulking and age the surrounding timber.After removing excess wax another coat of oil is applied.Just wondered if anyone has tried this?I am considering doing a mock up and giving it a trial run.For me,this is about the nicest caulking I have seen.The timber is Pear and the wax is dark brown(numerous shades are easily available)Incidentally the build is 1/84.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-94149500-1446427228_thumb.jpg

Currently working on Royal Caroline

That is really beautiful looking. Is it possible that the gaps are created by edge sanding or otherwise beveling the top edges of the planks or are the strakes actually laid with those gaps?

Thanks, Ian

WOW WOW and WOW. This has to be the nicest hull planking job I have ever seen. Hats off to that builder!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

The planking is actually laid with a gap.The problem with beveling is that you will end up with uneven grooves when you sand the hull smooth.Here is the link to the build,the modelers name is Sergey Kutuzov.(the translator started working again :D )

https://www.shipmodeling.ru/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=8350

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline