I am a beginner and I know this may be a stupid question. I am working on the Phantom from MS.  I am trying to cut a piece of bassword that is an 1/8 thick.  I have a million exacto knives but it is very difficult to cut thru and still wind up with a usable piece. Short of some portable electric device, what is the best way to cut small pieces like a rudder out of basswood.. Thanks.

Hal

I would think a hand fret/coping/jewelers saw would do the trick.  Blades are easy to find in the 3-8 range. There are variety packs.  I think for basswood, you need very sharp edges to avoid tearing out the wood fibers. It is like a scroll saw, except that you are the motor.  You should find something functional for less than $20 US.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hal:

Welcome to the hobby.

Don't try to cut through the piece in one cut.  Take a light cut and then go over it several times to cut through the piece.  If it's a thick piece, cut outside the line and then sand the edge to the line to avoid any tendency to angle your cut.  Another thing to watch out for is the wood grain and the tendency of a blade to follow the grain - again light cuts will help to avoid this problem.  If you are having a problem with the wood splitting along the grain and taking off a part of the piece you are making, make cuts across the grain first so that the tendency of wood to split along the grain doesn't affect your cut.

This is something that will get easier with more experience.  But be sure to use only SHARP blades.  If the blade dulls either replace it or hone the edge - a sharp blade is a safe blade while a dull blade will not cut the wood well and can and will slip and cut you just fine.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The jewelers saw works very well specially in the harder types of wood. Be sure to get fine tooth blades. A rule of thumb for blades is to have three teeth on the thickness of materil being cut. So for example 1/8th inch material you'd need 24 TPI. (teeth per inch). On the other hand too fine of teeth on thicker material will cause the blade to clog and make sawing difficult. Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren