unidentified incomplete large model ship

Yakdoc

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum and am having a good nosy around, some truly inspiring work here!!.

I recently spotted an incomplete large model ship at a vintage goods store, it has no name on it and is incomplete with no rigging or sails, it also has some minor damage.  one thing that caught my eye was the unusual keel set up, I'm far from knowledgeable on ships and thought that someone here might recognise her lines, any advise would be most welcome.

I purchased it for $50.00

regards Steven 

post-22170-0-44074500-1446623140_thumb.jpg

post-22170-0-42176600-1446623321_thumb.jpg

post-22170-0-16378200-1446623403_thumb.jpg

post-22170-0-50097900-1446623516_thumb.jpg

It looks like it could be a pond yacht.  One that actually sails.  The keel / rudder does not match any of the competition models in my copy of 1985 Model Boats Plans Handbook. 

It may not be all that incomplete.  It has more deck detail than the competitor types seem to have, but less than a static model.  It may be a fun sailing boat with just enough detail to make it interesting when seen from a distance.  The sails and rigging may have been lost, as they were probably stored separately.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I also might think its a scratch built pond yacht.  One built for a Sunday afternoon sailing instead of competition.   These were set up to free sail and were very popular from the Victorian era through the advent of Radio Control.  Is the keel bulb full of lead, and does the rudder move less than 15 degrees?  It looks like there is a rudder post coming out of the deck that would connect the rudder to the boom.  This would allow the coarse to be set in conjunction to the wind direction.  There are a number of Radio Control and Model sailing forums that have user groups for these types of boats.

I had one back in the mid eighties I found in a junk shop, restored it, and sailed for a time.  I lost it when a large motor boat ran over it.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It looks like it could be a pond yacht.  One that actually sails.  The keel / rudder does not match any of the competition models in my copy of 1985 Model Boats Plans Handbook. 

It may not be all that incomplete.  It has more deck detail than the competitor types seem to have, but less than a static model.  It may be a fun sailing boat with just enough detail to make it interesting when seen from a distance.  The sails and rigging may have been lost, as they were probably stored separately.

Hi Jaager, sorry for the lenghty delay in responding, divorce does that however as I have traded in the cruiser for a new sports ;) model I now have time to look at this again :)  there is no l;ead in the keel, the rudder is glued to the hull and looks like it always has been, the post on the deck sits in a shallow hole about  1cm deep so Im guessing it was a static model though not a detailed one, I could make it sail if I wanted to and just might.