Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How Realistic Can One Make Sails?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationThe Nutmeg State
And don't forget the sea gulls and what they do!
  • thibaultron, Canute and Julie Mo like this
Member:
Connecticut Marine Model Society
Nautical Research Guild

dgbot

dgbot
  • Members
  • 5,078 posts
  • LocationRaymond IA

Rice paper can be used to make realistic sails. Cut to shape and folded it looks good and can be manipulated.

David B

• thibaultron, Canute and Julie Mo like this

Work in progress USS Maine in cardstock.http://modelshipworl...rd/#entry220003

Completed Blockade runner Teazer http://modelshipworl...ck/#entry175967

Completed  The Monitor Lehigh http://modelshipworl...el/#entry203680

Completed Kingston Class MCVD http://modelshipworl...gs-in-progress/

Cathead

Cathead

Eric

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA
I have a question about sail making that I can't find the answer to anywhere. When the original two foot wide canvas panels were stitched together, just how were they laid out? Did each panel progressively overlap along the edge, or did they alternate over and underlapping? If the former, did it matter on which side the overlapping happened? I can find lots of info on how to mimic seams on a sail made in one piece, but no clear depiction of how those panels were actually laid out. Anyone?
  • mtaylor and thibaultron like this

Current build: US Revenue Cutter "Ranger", Corel, 1:64

Previous builds:

Naval: 18th century longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48; Naval gun kits from Model Shipways; Bounty launch, Model Shipways, 1:16

Missouri River craft: Missouri River steamboat Bertrand, scratchbuilt in 1:87;  Lewis & Clark barge, scratchbuilt in 1:48;
Missouri River keelboat, scratchbuilt in 1:87; Missouri River steamboat Far West, scratchbuilt in 1:87

Blue Ensign

Blue Ensign
  • Members
  • 2,045 posts
  • LocationThe Green Shires of England

You may find the answer here.

http://www.hnsa.org/...l-making-vol-i/

B.E.

• mtaylor, druxey, AntonyUK and 3 others like this

AntonyUK

AntonyUK
  • Members
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationIvybridge, Devon, UK
Hi.
Very nice find B.E.
Not seen that info before.
Another 4 hours of reading. I like reading this sort of thing that were written in original script.

Regards Antony.
  • mtaylor, thibaultron and donrobinson like this
Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask"

Working on scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32
Starting shortly. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral.
Compleated The Black Pearl fun build
Compleated A large scale Victory cross section 1/36

Blue Ensign

Blue Ensign
  • Members
  • 2,045 posts
  • LocationThe Green Shires of England

I've used it for years Antony, do all my rigging by reference to it. Steel is the basis of most modern writers on ship rigging.

I do have a hard copy of Steel's Elements of Mastmaking, sailmaking, and Rigging, printed in elephant folio format by DN Goodchild. USA. It's a nice thing to have, but I use the online version constantly.

Cheers,

B.E.

• mtaylor, AntonyUK, thibaultron and 1 other like this

JerseyCity Frankie

JerseyCity Frankie
  • Members
  • 1,239 posts
The best book on the subject, from the perspective of sewing actual sails is The Sailmakers Aprentice, 495 lavishly illustrated pages concerned solely with traditional sail construction and written by an actual traditional sailmaker. There is no other book that comes close. There was a question above about how sailcloth seams were made and it's very well covered in this book. Modern sewers know it as the Flat Felled Seam and it's the one used on the double row of stitching on the legs of most blue jeans. The actual Seam on a real sail is about 3 or 4" wide. It's not the only type of Seam utilized in sail construction but it is the one used to make the dozens of parallel seams seen in most canvas sails. I have many strong opinions about sails and how they are depicted and much of it is included in my HMS Victory log, click on the link in my signature. Also here is a link with lots of details about one traditional sail being hand sewn with lots of photos: http://www.thebigrow.com/?page_id=451

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • IMG_0180.JPG
  • IMG_0181.JPG

• mtaylor, Tadeusz43, thibaultron and 2 others like this

Cathead

Cathead

Eric

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

These are fascinating resources, thank you! However, so far, I still cannot quite determine the answer to my core question: did the sail panels progressively overlap in one direction, or alternate back and forth? In other words, when the panels were laid out for stitching, did they do:

a. __---__--- so that the panels alternate upper/lower when laid flat,

or

b. __---  so that the panels progressively overlap, technically getting higher and higher as the sail progresses to the right,

or

c. ---__ like b except that the panels progress up to the left.

None of the illustrations or photos I've seen make this clear enough to me, and every written description just says something like "the panels were stitched together" with lots of detail on the type of stitching, but not on the layout of the seam itself from panel to panel.

Any ideas? I realize that at a model scale this is a really pedantic detail, but I'm considering making sails panel by panel and want to know how it was really done.

JCF, the book you reference looks fascinating, but I'm not sure I can justify buying it on my budget, and a small Midwestern library sure doesn't stock it.

Previous builds:

Naval: 18th century longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48; Naval gun kits from Model Shipways; Bounty launch, Model Shipways, 1:16

Missouri River craft: Missouri River steamboat Bertrand, scratchbuilt in 1:87;  Lewis & Clark barge, scratchbuilt in 1:48;
Missouri River keelboat, scratchbuilt in 1:87; Missouri River steamboat Far West, scratchbuilt in 1:87

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Cathead, 

Check your local library for an interlibrary loan.  When I lived in a small town in Missouri, the local library (and all the ones arouind us) were able to use it.  

Edited by mtaylor, 04 January 2017 - 12:23 AM.

• thibaultron likes this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Cathead

Cathead

Eric

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Oddly enough, I may have found part of my answer right under my nose. I went back to look at the Dr. John Tilley drawing of the USRC Louisiana (which you can find on Wikipedia), and found that his drawing shows the orientation of the sails' seams. If you click on the image and fully zoom in, you can clearly see that he orients the seams continuously in one direction: with the fold facing the center of the square sails, and facing aft on the fore-and-aft sails. The only thing I can't see is what happens right at the middle of the square sails: how are those two panels joined, since the seam shown in JCF's central image above has to face one way or another? It seems odd to have the center of the sail lopsided with the seam facing only one way, but how else would it be done?

Mark, I should have thought before I typed, of course that's an option. And I'm the son of a librarian! *smack on head*

Previous builds:

Roger Pellett

Roger Pellett
  • Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationDuluth, MN
Julie,

Your J Boat at 1:35 is a large model and unlike a square rigged craft you will only have four sails; a main and three headsails. You will also have relatively little rigging Compared to a square rigger. Your mainsail will be huge. Therefore, no matter how skillfully you model the sails you risk having your model looking like a pond yacht.

I have seen the models in the Herreshoff Museum and the New York Yacht Club's model room as well as a stunning J Boat model that was offered for sale in the Mystic Seaport's model gallery. In all cases, the models were without sails. In these cases, a lack of sails accentuated the rigging and spars. Much of this detail would have been hidden by sails.

Roger

Dee_Dee

Dee_Dee
  • Members
  • 462 posts
  • LocationIllinois South of the 'Cheddar Curtain'

Cathead,

Here's a simple diagram that might answer your question.  I'm not saying this is right, just trying to demonstrate various ways the seams and panels could aligned.   

Sail Panel Seams.jpg

I don't know if the seams were flat felled or a French seam.  A French seam is stronger, more consistent in size and used by Levi Strauss.  Which ever seam was used, the seam was formed by folding in and interlapping the edges of two plies of material so that the edges of the material are concealed and sewn with one or more rows of stitches.

Here's a sampling of four sort of flat felled seams.  French seams are stronger, faster and easier to sew.            

Various seams.jpg

Edited by Dee_Dee, 04 January 2017 - 04:22 AM.

• Ryland Craze, allanyed, mtaylor and 2 others like this

Current Build

-  Dragon - Corel   One design International Class Yacht

Completed Builds

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop  -  Corel -Based on the 'Bergère de Domrémy' / 'The Shepherdess from Domrémy'          

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack  -  Scratch built based on drawings & info from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft"  with working center board!! 

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack  -  Midwest Kit Major Bash    

On the Shelf

- Glad Tidings-MS     - Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

10427354_10203056238189098_7201610402045

Cathead

Cathead

Eric

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Thanks, Dee Dee. That first image is indeed what I was asking: does the upper seam go back and forth, or always on the same side? The illustration I linked to suggests that, at least for this prototype, it was the lower of those two colored examples.

At 1:64, I'll only be able to simulate these seams, as any actual folding over of the sail material will end up way too thick. But it's still useful to try and understand what I'm trying to simulate. I just spent part of this evening mocking up an example, and will share it when the photography conditions are better.

• mtaylor, Dee_Dee and thibaultron like this

Previous builds:

Erik W

Erik W
  • Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationLongmont, Colorado, USA

Julie,

Both of these books address scale sail making.  Both authors are committed to using techniques that make sails look realistic and correctly scaled.

https://www.seawatch....php?sku=115003This supplement is part of this revised masting and rigging book: https://www.seawatch....php?sku=115002

https://www.seawatch....php?sku=107002

Erik

• mtaylor, druxey and thibaultron like this

Cathead

Cathead

Eric

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Just to clarify, I'm not Julie. She started this thread in 2015, I just added to it since the topic seemed a pretty good fit for my own question rather than starting a whole new thread. Thanks for the references!

• mtaylor, thibaultron and Erik W like this

Previous builds:

Cathead

Cathead

Eric

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Here's a mockup of a sail made panel-by-panel. I liked how my bond-paper sails came out on my longboat build, so decided to use that method again. This mockup is just cheap printer paper, cut into scale 24" strips and glued together along the seams in the pattern shown by the USGS drawing I linked above. The upper one is just a cutout with the seams drawn on; the lower one is the paneled sail. I really like the three-dimensional appearance. The real thing will need to be colored and detailed, but I proved to myself that I could assemble a paper paneled sail here the seams are partially real and not just simulated. Anyone else have thoughts? This took a couple hours to make, not too bad.

sailtest.jpg

• mtaylor, bhermann, thibaultron and 3 others like this

Previous builds:

jbshan

jbshan
  • Members
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationWest Coast of NH

Eric, I like that look also.

The scale of the model will partially determine what is best.  Smaller scales will only need the pencil lines, medium scales could use the glued panels (had you thought of drawing in some of the detail with pencil here also?) while large scales could have more or less sewn construction.

Cathead

Cathead

Eric

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

This is in 1:64; the mockup shows the main topsail of a topsail schooner. I will definitely also be drawing in the stitching, adding ropes, etc. That mockup was solely to test whether I could make the panels look decent and in a reasonable amount of time.

• mtaylor, thibaultron and jbshan like this

Previous builds:

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,767 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

See also the thread: "Fabric for your sails and where to buy?"

Edited by druxey, 08 January 2017 - 10:16 PM.

popeye2sea

popeye2sea
  • Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Is it worth trying to replicate some of the bagginess that was built into the sails?  Has anyone tried this to advantage?  What I mean by bagginess is that the length and width of the sails was actually larger than the bolt ropes.  When the bolt ropes are sewn in the sail material was gathered (for lack of a better term) by a certain amount.  Not only did this allow the bolt rope to take most of the strain , but it produced some of that billowing or bagginess to the sail when it filled.

I was just wondering if this would improve the look of the sails on a model.

Regards,

• mtaylor, thibaultron and Cathead like this

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! :D

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.