John Cudahy by steamschooner - FINISHED - 1/4" scale Steam Tug

I know this is not a stick and string type build, but I enjoy building vessels of local interest. The John Cudahy was built in Ballard Washington in 1900 for the fisheries trade. In 1904 she was sold to a tug firm in Grays Harbor and was rebuild for tug work. Her duties included ship assist and log raft towing. She was sold several times during her stay on Grays Harbor and went thur several changes. She went to work on the Columbia River for a number of years before being sold again. Foss tug bought her and rebuild her completely. Added length, changed to diesel power and renamed her Henry Foss. She was lost in Alaska in 1952. The period I chose to model is sometime after her conversion in 1905 to about 1915.post-115-0-80193400-1363458502_thumb.jpg

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

I redrew a set of tug plans to fit the sizes I needed to match up with the John Cudahy's spec's. Basswood was used for frames and planking. Yew wood was used for keel, stem, counter timber, guard timbers.post-115-0-54495400-1363459011_thumb.jpg

The deck is scribed spalted English Walnut, cap rails are Yew wood. I craved the prop out of Maple and the rudder is yew wood but painted. Cabin coaming is also yew wood.

post-115-0-74749000-1363459526_thumb.jpg

post-115-0-07244300-1363459582_thumb.jpg

Some cabin work is done as well as some pilot house work.

post-115-0-32339500-1363459740_thumb.jpg

post-115-0-10210600-1363459791_thumb.jpg

John, There is very little info on my built so alot of it is conjecture on my part. When I made my propeller for this model it did not matter to me if it was left or right. I am not trying to be historically correct as I don't have that kind of information available. Just my version on how it might of looked.

I will be adding some detail that will be little seen. I am going to out fit the engineroom/boiler space with a assortment of gear. This is the beginings of my compound steam engine. Wood items are my master molds, the red items are a couple of finished molds with there master patterns removed. I use a vulcanizing rubber for my molds and use Cerro Cast the actual casting. Some molds will be flat cast where the casting material is just poured in. Other molds will be cast in a centrifugal. The wire on the master forms are for cast inplace venting holes which are needed when centrifugal casting.

post-115-0-73815000-1363636986_thumb.jpg

I have a line drawing of a compound steam engine that I am using. From some documents about the John Cudahy that I have read I know that at one point she had a Vulcan compound engine. So this is the best I can do for a engine.

post-115-0-40113400-1363637672_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Just found you.  Good start.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 3 weeks later...

Been slowly working on engine and boiler ( non working ) so haven't had much to post. That and it seems life in general gets in the way of spending much time modeling.

• 1 year later...

Well I got to spend sometime in the boat yard. I have got the engine room deck in place and am figuring out where the rest will go. When done there will be a boiler, the compound steam engine, feed pump. dynamo engine, Condenser tank, and two water pumps. Why I do not know since most of it will never be seen once the cabin is in place.

post-115-0-80321600-1436714025_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Engine room looks great.  It may not be seen by most folks unless you open up the cabin area, but you'll know it's there.  Well.. we'll know it too.. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everyone for the visits and the likes. One thing I enjoy about model building is turning things on the lathe. This is a shot of the dynamo that I turned for my project. I need to work on getting better pictures of all the small parts.Now where is that camera instruction booklet?`

Steve

post-115-0-17819800-1436815540_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of my generator motor. I know it's some what simplified but it was fun to build. All the machinery will get painted and after installing I will run small wire to them as supply piping.

post-115-0-32665800-1437008974_thumb.jpg

post-115-0-86469600-1437009003_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of my water feed pump. It will get painted and have small wire running to it to act as steam supply piping.   Wire will also be used to show water inlet and water outlets.

post-115-0-11669700-1437009571_thumb.jpg

post-115-0-73765200-1437009599_thumb.jpg

Nice looking bits of machinery you've done.  They should look great painted and in the ship.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Well I have managed to get a little more done on my engine room gear.

post-115-0-76902100-1441418777_thumb.jpg

post-115-0-41246900-1441418923_thumb.jpg

Looks good in the engine room, Steve.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: