Cape Cod Catboat by Marcus Botanicus – FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters – Scale ¾”=1’

Hi Marc, She is comming along rather nicely, Looking good 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

All the items that belong to the cabin. What I will change is the cabin walls. The kit has 2 windows on each side and the my sisters boat has one on each side.

post-2705-0-87684300-1448985981_thumb.jpg

I was at Michael's yesterday and they had enlarged there wood display and I found 1/32" and 1/64" Baltic Birch ply sheets. Had to get those. The 1/64" costs $21.00 each and the 1/32" costs $9.00 Pricy, but worth it.

post-2705-0-35068500-1448987354_thumb.jpg[

I re-did the cabin walls on 1/32" ply and it looks good.

post-2705-0-87008300-1448986033_thumb.jpg

The next two pictures are of the planking. I soak the wood, bend it a bit by hand, form it on the frame, use lots of clamps, let it dry overnight and the next day use a combination of CA and white glue to attach the plank to the frame. The CA is to hold the plank to the frame and the white glue is used to keep the frames together. I've experimented with this and it works for me.

post-2705-0-12545800-1448986061_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-11266000-1448986098_thumb.jpg

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Nicely done Mark.  I have always had problems bending ply myself and am usually unhappy with the end result.

David B

Edited by dgbot

And you have shown the old saying "You can never have enough clamps." David B

David;

You are so correct. I have so many of these from Harbor Freight and always looking for more.

Marc

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Coming towards the last of the planking. 'Out' with the clamps and 'in' with the pins. Clamps no longer fit. As you can see, I use all kinds of methods to keep the planks in place until they are fully dry.

post-2705-0-47318100-1449088329_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-10181100-1449088353_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-48818500-1449088396_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-23294700-1449088426_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-78599600-1449088449_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-08840300-1449088472_thumb.jpg

Personally, I am not big on planking. I never look forward to this. I prefer deck fittings, masts, rigging and sails. I think I will not start on any admiral model anytime soon. Maybe I should just do solid hulls and scribe the planks on the hull. Go straight to the deck and up.

Cabin Furniture: These are the two bunks. Most of it is made of balsa. The sides of the bunks is 0.5mm mahogany. I think they are drawers, but I have to ask my sister.

post-2705-0-08554900-1449526545_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-94256800-1449526561_thumb.jpg

Here it shows how the cabin would look like in the Catboat itself.

post-2705-0-15670000-1449526583_thumb.jpg

Marcus

Planking is finished and I gave it a rough sanding.

post-2705-0-12522500-1449526735_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-46646300-1449526755_thumb.jpg

Marcus

Here I mix Elmer's white glue with fine sawdust. There are some areas on the hull that are very thin (due to sanding) so I spread this mixture out on these areas and once dry it is solid and very hard.

Then I give it a good sanding and because the Catboat will be painted you will not be seeing much of that.

post-2705-0-59578800-1449526998_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-87781900-1449527012_thumb.jpg

After all the rough sanding I now put on a layer of vinyl spackling. It does not shrink, can be painted, easy to apply.

post-2705-0-25389700-1449527030_thumb.jpg

Marcus

Looking good Marcus and thanks for the tutorial. I must say your pictures are very good quality.

Best, Ian

Great progress  Marcus.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Ian,

You are welcome and the better details I can show the better I can show others how I am building this boat.

Marc

Piet,

Please give me some idea about how to do the lights in the cabin.

Where do I buy these lights.

How are they powered?

How is it wired? Outside the boat?

Bob Filipowsky (from our club) used a mirror opposite of the cabin entrance and when you point a flash light into it. You can then see the interior. It is no problem with the acrylic in the case.

Marc

Outstanding job Marc.  Too bad I cannot be up close to eyeball it.  This might sound like a crazy question but why are you using spackle after using the wood filler?  Wouldn't that give you a smooth hull?

David B

Edited by dgbot

Marc, I'm still trying to figure out whatever it is you're doing in your avatar.  It looks vaguely repulsive.   :)

There is nothing better than raw, young, fresh, caught a few hours ago from the sea herring (Dutch - haring) with a touch of finely cut white onions. Every 2 years when I visit my mother in Amsterdam the first thing I do the next day is go to the local fish shop in her area and have a few of these.

Marcus

Outstanding job Marc.  Too bad I cannot be up close to eyeball it.  This might sound like a crazy question but why are you using spackle after using the wood filler?  Wouldn't that give you a smooth hull?

David B

David,

I used the wood filler which is more like Elmer's glue mixed with saw dust to get the large uneven areas. Once very dry the hull gets a good sanding. There still some small unevenness in between the planking and there I use the spackle. I have just sanded that and it is now very smooth (Pictures will follow). I used this method (sawdust/glue and spackle) on an RC boat years ago it I liked the way it looked. But then again maybe it is overkill.

Now I need to look at the paint list my sister gave me and see if I can get this in lesser volume compared to the amount for the real boat.

Marc

Hey Marcus, I don't mean to hijack your log but your avatar doesn't quite show how to eat a good new raw herring  (haring).  For the benefit of all your followers here is how it's done  ;)

post-1399-0-20412100-1449713699_thumb.jpg

Your's truly visiting Remco, who treated us with Holland's best, ready and with eager anticipation for the delicate tast of the fresh herring.  Notice the minced onions?

post-1399-0-04305100-1449713742_thumb.jpg

Your's truly ready to take a bite from the fresh herring.  All of us really enjoyed them, even our grandson!

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Okay Marcus, you asked how I put a few lights inside my VOC ship..  A few years ago when buying things at our local hardware store they had a Christmas display thingy they were going to trash.  So I asked to trash it my way and I became the happy owner of a few LED lamps.  

I just removed the LED's, stripped a few lengths of black and red telephone wires from a spare cable I had kicking around and installed them.  

You can buy LED's via Internet of any color you like.  Light amber seems nice.  Mine are just plain white but it'll do.  Just make sure about the voltage, polarity, how many batteries and would you need a resister.

There are a few builders on MSW who have a lot more knowledge about this then I do and hopefully somebody will jump in and give you much better info.  I havent tried mine yet and may not work, needing help myself.

This is what I brought home and used.  A true Dutchman can't let a FREE bargen go to waste  :P  ;)

post-1399-0-31998700-1449714805_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet;

Thanks for the instructions.  Only one problem.  I am planning to put the boat in a display case which means there will be wires and batteries.  There is another solution.

I am going to cut a piece of mirror to the dimensions so it fits towards the bow in the cabin.  I will leave the cabin door open.  Once the boat is in a case, you can use a flashlight and shine it in the cabin and the mirror will reflect the interior. 

I am going to use the lights setup for something else.

Marc

I'm enjoying the pics of your nice work !

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

I am a bit stuck as I cannot find the paint that looks similar to the real boat. I can do an undercoat but a top coat.....

I was mixing different acrylic colors, but that didn't look right ort I am not doing it correctly. I need to read up on "Painting modelships 101". I paint with a brush, no airbrushing.+

My sister sent me a list of the paints and a link to the site where they got the paint. I now have to look similar colors in smaller quantities.

http://stright-mackay.com/

Pettit Easypoxy paints on page 431.

The topsides are Semi-Gloss White

Deck is Sandtone

Sides of the cabin are Grand Banks Beige.

Bottom anti-fouling Aquagard - a qt of red would do it.

Cockpit deck and cabin sole are generic battleship gray.

The woodwork is Sikkens Cetol Marine ( Stright doesn't have it, but Home Depot might. If not, we could get it through Hamilton Marine in Searsport, Maine

Silica Sand should be added to paint on surfaces where people will walk, for grit - roughens the surface.

I will research this and if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks

Marcus

• 4 weeks later...

I re-did the cabin / combing with 1/32" birch ply (wonderful wood to work with)and put one window each instead of two according to the kit.

post-2705-0-88031200-1452519627_thumb.jpg

Bending the wood to fit the final shape

post-2705-0-30680200-1452519637_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-51398600-1452519469_thumb.jpg

This is the cabin wall that goes below deck. Same wood and thickness as the combing.

post-2705-0-83686100-1452519547_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-16467600-1452519577_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-01364800-1452519610_thumb.jpg

My sisters boat has no screw on the boat, they have a small outboard motor. So I am covering this part with balsa, spackle, sand and paint. I am redoing the rudder as well.

post-2705-0-53286000-1452520173_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-90209000-1452520190_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-74003200-1452520212_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-30375600-1452520483_thumb.jpg

I have sanded the final spackle coat on the boat and spray painted a very light coat of clear on the hull to protect the hull from scratches. In between the kitchen remodeling I am going to start with putting the cabin together and I found a weave thin mirror for the back part of the cabin. It came from a LCD display from an HP printer I scavenged for parts.

Will show that in the next installment.

Marcus

Looking good Marcus,  wish I could inspect it up close.  As for mixing colors have you tried a color wheel?

David B

Below is the LCD from an HP printer that died. I took it apart to see what it is made off and found the mirror. Very thin and it pretty much fits in the cabin. The mirror is on the far left.

post-2705-0-96059400-1452801786_thumb.jpg

Dry fitted everything.

post-2705-0-45529400-1452801796_thumb.jpg

This is what it would look like if you look into the cabin. One needs to use a flashlight for better viewing.

post-2705-0-86360100-1452801809_thumb.jpg

Marc