Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Marie Jeanne by Jack12477 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina 1:50 scale

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

Guess it is time to stop procrastinating and get into the shipyard for some serious ship building. I was debating all summer which of my Artesania Latina kits I would build next, Marie Jeanne or Constellation. I decided on the Marie Jeanne for a couple of reasons, first, it is the kit that I have had the longest, and second, its overall size of approximately 22 inches would allow me to display it alongside my other completed Artesania Latina kits, Swift, Armed Virginia Pilot, Morgan Whale Boat and the Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch. The Constellation will be done at a later date.

Some background on the Marie Jeanne:  She is a tuna boat from the French harbor of Concarneau, was part of the fishing fleet which sailed from 1900 till 1950.. She fished for tuna between June and October sailing as far as the coasts of Mauritania.. The outings could take two months, as tuna is found in the high seas far from any coasts. The general trend towards engine propulsion contributed to the disappearance of these elegant fishing boats, which often sported colorful sails.

So we will begin with the traditional views of the kit box and contents.

IMG_4326.JPG IMG_4327.JPG IMG_4328.JPG IMG_4329.JPG

After cutting the backbone/false keel and bulkheads from their laser cut sheets, I have dry fit them in place for now, so I can check the fit and placement of the false deck, which according to the instructions is planked and installed before the hull planking. I also have to determine whether the open hatch floor(s) (lower decking) is visible once the deck hatches are installed.  So once I get that all figured out I will start gluing things in place.  Since the bulkheads extend to the keel itself I could not use my normal keel clamp, otherwise the bulkheads won't seat properly.

IMG_4353.JPG IMG_4355.JPG

As an aside: I'm a little disappointed with the instructions in this kit compared with the instructions AL provided with all of my previous AL kits.  The instructions are pretty skimpy - 2 sides of a single page and a rather large souvenir-postcard-style color fold-out with lots of pictures and part #s but no text.  However, the rest of the kit is high quality like I've seen in all my previous AL kits. The plans are large and very detailed.  So a lot of "read-ahead"  and dry fitting is in order on this build.

So pull up a chair/barrel/bench !

Edited by Jack12477, 09 July 2016 - 02:33 PM.

• Ryland Craze, riverboat, mtaylor and 14 others like this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

Cabbie

Cabbie
  • Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationCastlemaine Victoria Australia

I am actually in the recliner with the footrest up. Is that ok?

• mtaylor, Burroak, GLakie and 2 others like this

HM Cutter Mermaid 1817

HMS Endeavour by Cabbie

Every action has a consequence

GLakie

GLakie

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

• Gone, but not forgotten
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI--USA

Got a ring-side seat Jack.  :dancetl6: It certainly seems like a different approach by AL, with no keel for the rabbit,and mounted on the former before the bulkheads. Curious!  post-76-0-23601800-1430523501.gif

Cheers

• mtaylor, Burroak, Jack12477 and 1 other like this
GEORGE

Posted Image

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Yes, George, you plank the hull first then add the keel, stem, and stern posts. My other 4 AL kits had the same construction technique. Personally I find this a little harder to do than if I had to cut a rabbet and install the keel first.  Also this kit is double planked, there is some very nice walnut/mahogany colored super thin veneer wood in the kit for the 2nd planking, as was the case in the other 4 kits..

• mtaylor, Burroak, GLakie and 2 others like this

Jack

Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

Mirabell61

Mirabell61
  • Members
  • 4,146 posts
  • LocationGlinde, state Schleswig-Holstein, Germany

Hi Jack,

that is a nice kit and boat model.......,

I remember The "Marie Jeanne" in scale 1:50 of Billing Boats with it`s two huge poles for thunny fishing was my very first kit, many years ago..

I wish you much fun and enjoyable hours with the build of the model. I loved the lines so much, that I built a second boat after the overview plans (21/2 times larger and for RC controled sailing with removeable 3 KG Ballast. The large model needs restoration for it`s rigging, the small one is in it`s own glass case

Nils

• mtaylor, Burroak, GLakie and 3 others like this

My build logs for scratch built ships

Current builds

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...ne/#entry319621

Completed builds
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan  (scratchbuild)
http://modelshipworl...ge-1#entry79523

"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96

http://modelshipworl...ed/#entry159607

"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...pleted-to-d/page-1#entry168883

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...to-date/#entry16246

"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50

http://modelshipworl...er/#entry182678

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...ed/#entry280917

GLakie

GLakie

• 3,207 posts

Thanks Jack. Obviously I'm not familiar with AL and their methods.  :rolleyes:

• mtaylor, Burroak, Jack12477 and 1 other like this
GEORGE

Posted Image

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

michael mott

michael mott
  • Members
  • 3,570 posts
  • LocationLake Wabumun, Alberta, Canada

I will be following along too Jack, I must say I am partial to peaceful work and recreational boats..

Michael

• mtaylor, Burroak, GLakie and 3 others like this

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8

Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500

Maria, Sloop 1:2

Restoration      A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Cabbie, George, Nils, Michael, and those who clicked the LIKE button, welcome to my build log.

• mtaylor, Mirabell61, Burroak and 3 others like this

Jack

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

A brief update:

All of the bulkheads are now glued in place. I use small 1" square machinist squares I got from MicroMark to get the bulkheads square with the backbone.

IMG_4359.JPG IMG_4360.JPG IMG_4361.JPG IMG_4362.JPG IMG_4365.JPG

Next step is glue the planking to the false deck - the decking material is 0.6 mm thick x 5 mm wide ramin veneer. Too thin to edge bend so I plank in a straight line and trim the excess. I have not been successful using  a pencil along the edge to simulate the between planks caulking so instead I use Elmers glue for dark woods (shown below) which seeps up thru the joints, it also has a tendency to randomly darken the planks for a somewhat weathered look. I put the glue down with a small stir stick in very thin coats.

IMG_4363.JPG IMG_4367.JPG IMG_4366.JPG

Once the false deck is planked it is then glued to the bulkheads. I think while I have the deck flat on the workbench I will jump ahead and add the walnut coaming around the open hatches as well. After the false deck is glued to the bulkheads I can start fairing the edges to accept the hull planking.

• riverboat, mtaylor, Salty Sea Dog and 10 others like this

Jack

Burroak

Burroak
  • Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationTexas
Jack your doing a great job. Looking forward to your future posts.

Greg
  • mtaylor, GLakie, Jack12477 and 1 other like this
GREG H.

GLakie

GLakie

• 3,207 posts

Looks good Jack!!  :dancetl6:

• mtaylor, Jack12477 and Canute like this
GEORGE

Posted Image

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

A brief update:

Planking of the false deck is now completed. However, when I went to install the false deck to the former and bulkheads the design of the stern piece (see post #9 photos 3 and 5 above) prevents the deck from sitting flush to the former and engaging the slot in the stern deck with the post on the former. The deck has a concave curve bow to stern and convex curve port to starboard; with this stern piece in place (triple checked for fit before gluing) the deck would not align correctly - so out came the isopropyl, Q-tip, knife and some deconstruction took place. See the last two photos below for the stern re-do.

Second issue was the lack of clamping ability due to the shape and curvature of the bulkheads.  More improvisation needed. Took a long piece of 1/4 inch sq basswood, cut it into short blocks, then glued the blocks to the top of each bulkhead, flush to the top edge and back from the outer edge.  Let them set up for about 36 hours.  My usual spring clamps didn't have enough clamping power to pull the deck down tight to the bulkhead outer edges, so the black machinists parallel screw clamps were used to pull the deck down tight.

You'll notice the already "weathered" look to the deck planking (this is a working tuna fishing boat) !  That's my new "innovative design" ;) ;) ;) 

The deck is now secured to the former and bulkheads. The stern piece is temporarily attached with a clamp, when the glue cures I will re-glue it in place.

IMG_4372.JPG IMG_4374.JPG IMG_4375.JPG IMG_4378.JPG IMG_4385.JPG IMG_4382.JPG IMG_4383.JPG

• Ryland Craze, riverboat, mtaylor and 10 others like this

Jack

GLakie

GLakie

• 3,207 posts

Nice job weathering the deck!  Where did you find those cute little "Jorgenson"-style clamps Jack? 

• Jack12477 and Canute like this
GEORGE

Posted Image

Seventynet

Seventynet
  • Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalgary

I like your clamping solutions. Nice job!

Ian

• mtaylor, GLakie, Jack12477 and 1 other like this
Builds in progress - HMS Victory - by Caldercraft - Brazzera - by MarisStella
Builds completed - Cape Cod Catboat - by Bluejacket - Gokstad - by Dusek - Ship's Boat - by Dusek
<p>
Build to start next - Revenue Cutter Cheerful - by Syren Ship Model Company

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Nice job weathering the deck!  Where did you find those cute little "Jorgenson"-style clamps Jack? 

Thanks George.  The weathering was an "OOPS" - the machinist squares I was using to weight the planks down had rust forming on them which I did not see. Took me a while to figure it out.  Saves me getting out the paints and chalk tho.

The clamps are Lee Valley  - they work well.

• mtaylor, GLakie, Bobstrake and 1 other like this

Jack

GLakie

GLakie

• 3,207 posts

Ah! - A "happy accident".  Thanks for the link.  :)

• Jack12477 and Canute like this
GEORGE

Posted Image

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Late to the party, I guess which is better than never.  Looking good, Jack.

• GLakie, Jack12477 and Canute like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Hi Mark, welcome to the party, pull up a barrel.  We're taking a brief intermission while I fair the bulkheads and figure out a few other things

Edited by Jack12477, 18 November 2015 - 02:07 PM.

• mtaylor, GLakie and Canute like this

Jack

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Brief Update:

Planking this model is a real challenge. The plans do not show much detail regarding the planking other than the small pictures below;  The instructions call for the planking to start 3 mm below the top of each bulkhead bow to stern with each succeeding plank tight against the previous. Installation of the gar plank is somewhat obscure but it would appear from the written instructions (very sparse I might add) and the small picture that it is installed straight across bow to stern with no curvature.  At any rate the first two planks have been installed on both sides.  I've been using Chuck's method of edge  bending using a hair dryer bending it edgewise and length wise.  Slow and tedious but so far so good.

The plans:

IMG_4399.JPG
IMG_4390.JPG IMG_4391.JPG IMG_4392.JPG IMG_4393.JPG IMG_4394.JPG

Planking the first two planks:

IMG_4395.JPG IMG_4396.JPG IMG_4398.JPG

There are some light refreshments over on the side bar for those in need of nourishment during the intermission.

wine_popcorn.jpg

Stay tuned :cheers:

Edited by Jack12477, 20 November 2015 - 03:38 PM.

• Ryland Craze, Sjors, riverboat and 13 others like this

Jack

Canute

Canute

Engine Stoker 3rd Class

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Better late than never, Jack. :P

Pulling up a stool to watch all this. The sparse instructions have to be disheartening, but superior skill and cunning will overcome. And an adult beverage for when you run out of ideas. I like it! :cheers:

• mtaylor, GLakie and Jack12477 like this

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.