Rockwell Bladerunner

No, but I want one. I have seen them used for several applications, but not as a hobby tool per-say. I would think it would work as well as a scroll saw or band saw. By the way, they have another version of this called Blade Runner that has a metal Offset blade arm that I think might be a better built unit and the price is usually $30.00 or so more than the X2 version.

Try one out and report back to us whether you like it or not.

You need to check tooth count on the available blades.  For thickness of the wood we use, I'm not sure it will work.  There's also a matter of the blade only being supported on one end.  I looked at them a long time ago at Lowe's and was very hesitant about it.  There might be more available now, but when I looked at it, the tooth count wouldn't work on any wood less than 1/4".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks like a jig saw to me, mounted upside down under a table. Make a table for your jigsaw; make it so you can have zero clearance inserts when using different blades. Most jig saws can be set at an angle or even rotated so the blade direction can be changed, looks like more options than the blade runner has. Have made tables to mount my upside down routers under before the commercial tables came out, worked well, see no reason preventing anyone from doing the same thing using a saw you probably already own and seldom use, probably have a bunch of blades sitting around already. Wonder how many of their existing jigsaw parts they might be using in this new saw.

jud

Edited by shiloh

Jud,

I used to have a commercially made table (Skil maybe?) that mounted a jigsaw or router upside-down.  Even had a shutoff bar on front so you could bump it with your hip and kill power to the tool.   I haven't seen those in decades though.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thought about getting that one myself, but didn't like the Jig-saw layout either, beside the fact it doesn't have the depth of cut as most scroll-saws.  I'll just go with the Rikon Scroll Saw and the 5-year warranty. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 4 years later...

Sorry for reviving an ancient thread, but I’m thinking about buying this model because it’s inexpensive and also works as a mini table saw. It looks like it takes any standard jigsaw blade so I don’t think the tooth count of the blades that come with it should be an issue. I figure it’s got to be better than the coping saw I suck at using.

Has anyone used this saw and if so would you recommend it for someone on a modest budget who doesn’t already have a scroll saw?

On 11/25/2015 at 7:10 PM, shiloh said:

Looks like a jig saw to me, mounted upside down under a table. Make a table for your jigsaw; make it so you can have zero clearance inserts when using different blades. Most jig saws can be set at an angle or even rotated so the blade direction can be changed, looks like more options than the blade runner has. Have made tables to mount my upside down routers under before the commercial tables came out, worked well, see no reason preventing anyone from doing the same thing using a saw you probably already own and seldom use, probably have a bunch of blades sitting around already. Wonder how many of their existing jigsaw parts they might be using in this new saw.

jud

Yep, it's basically a sabersaw mounted upsided down.  It does have a few nice touches such as the blade replacement feature and dust extraction, but without an upper guide bearing I think the quality of cut won't be very fine.  For modelers, I think a scrollsaw would be a better choice.

Kris,

I'm not sure where you are located but here in the States, the big box hardware stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) and even some of the smaller places sell scroll saws for around what that saw would cost.  A scroll saw would be a lot more accurate (no blade wobble) than the one mentioned in the first post.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A true scroll saw or what I call a jig saw stretches the blade between upper and lower attachment points.  It is therefore possible to load the blade with considerable tension keeping it rigid during the up and down cutting strokes.  This allows the use of very fine, thin blades.  With inadequate tension the blade buckles on the down stroke and soon breaks.

If this saw is built like an upside down Sabre saw without an upper attachment there is no way to tension the blade and rigidity must be provided by the blade itself.  This means that you will be limited to thick blades with sufficient depth to withstand the cantelever bending loads as they do their work.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

It should also be pointed out that there's more of a selection in blade tooth count and types than with a jig saw.  The thinner the wood be cut, the higher the tooth count needs to be.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking at this, as a means to rip wood I milled for deck planking.  When I saw it was an upside down jig saw, I abandoned the idea.  The Byrnes is simply too expensive for what will most likely be a one-time build.  Thus the search for something that will rip wood to acceptably consistent widths.  My Porta Band setup couldn't do that because the blade moves side-to-side just enough to create inconsistencies.

I found plans on the Indestructibles website for a table saw for a Dremel.  I already own the Dremel and the circular saw attachment.  The plans are free and I've already downloaded them so this should be a fairly inexpensive venture.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35