Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Keel Drawing - first drawing for Trition Full-Build And Access Request

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

pigwar

pigwar
  • Members
  • 2 posts

I am a model sailboat enthusiasts from China, hoping to join the project, and everyone can learn communication. But how do I start my own journey it? :huh:

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire, England

Please read the first post inside this topic

Ours is a life of constant reruns. We're always circling back to where we'd we started, then starting all over again. Even if we don't run extra laps that day, we surely will come back for more of the same another day soon. - Joe Henderson

Tallshiptragic

Tallshiptragic
  • Members
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia
Hi there, for the POB version, is the keel the same as this plan? As I haven't stated the build and don't have access to the downloads I wanted to check before any work or wood was obtained.

Thanks
Anton T

Current build
STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built

Previous builds - completed
1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed
1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed
1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed
1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed
1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

Planned builds
VOC Batavia 1629
De Zeven Provinciƫn 1660
HRNLS De Ruyter 1941 -1/72 RC

the learner

the learner
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationCypress CA US

Tallshiptragic...welcome to the build

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

mike0879

mike0879
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMountlake Terrace, wa

I'm new to scratch building. I downloaded the plan and plan on doing this in 1/4 scale. The one thing that I am not sure of is the thickness of the wood for the keel. Can someone help me with that??

Michael

Current build Mare Nostrum
W. Churchill

Starting Projects Triton full build and creating a build log.
Triton sectional build with build log.

Future builds Cutty Sark, Sea Witch, Virginia pilot boat 1805, Sultana Colonial Schooner 1767.

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,041 posts

The plan has all the info you need. The 'wide' section shows the overal length and the height and to the left of the 'wide' section marked keel is a cross section (with two notched high up on the left and right). This shows you the width as well.

With those two diagrams you have all the measurements you need.

Here the blue line is length the green height and the red the width

Attached File  keel.png   3.36KB   0 downloads

• aviaamator likes this

Ours is a life of constant reruns. We're always circling back to where we'd we started, then starting all over again. Even if we don't run extra laps that day, we surely will come back for more of the same another day soon. - Joe Henderson

mike0879

mike0879
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Moderators

I looked at the drawing again and all that I can find are the side view of the keel, no end view like you included in your post. Is the side view in your post for the 1/4 scale?

Michael

W. Churchill

Future builds Cutty Sark, Sea Witch, Virginia pilot boat 1805, Sultana Colonial Schooner 1767.

GuntherMT

GuntherMT
  • Members
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

Moderators

I looked at the drawing again and all that I can find are the side view of the keel, no end view like you included in your post. Is the side view in your post for the 1/4 scale?

Michael

Michael,

You are correct that there is no end view on the PDF in the original post, which means there is no way to see that rabbet (which seems odd, because it's sort of important I think), but if you look at that sheet there are two views.  At the top there is the side view, and then at the bottom there are three items - The Keelson, the Keel, and the False Keel (Items 1, 4, and 5) in a Plan View.  Plan View means as viewed from above, so you can get your thickness dimension from that part of the drawing.

mike0879

mike0879
  • Members
  • 25 posts

yes I down loaded the 1/4 scale pdf. That's what the title said

W. Churchill

riksgewijs

riksgewijs
  • Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Question?

Is this still open? I am thinking to make a new build. I only have Dutch ships now. And I like an other ship also. And looked at the Triton for many times.

Problem is, time. I think it will take lots of time in between the updates for me. I am a slow builder because I need to work also.

• Canute and aviaamator like this

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,041 posts

Yes though you have to build the keel and start a build log to get access to the full plans.

On the subject of the keel image my screenshot was from the cross section plans (which can be cross referenced). If doing a full build you should be aware that the rabbett will move and the thickness will decrease as it approaches bow and stern so a single cross section of the keel in the full plans could cause more damage than help.

• mtaylor and Canute like this

Chapman

Chapman
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Hello there,

is this interesting project even in 2016 still open to new members?

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,235 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

It is as others have just started on it.  You might as well join the party.  :)

• trippwj, Chapman and Canute like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

MRJG

MRJG
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI.
May I get a wood list please, I would like to figure out the wood I can use and get

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,041 posts

There is no wood list as the wood choice is entirely up to the builder. The best approach is to look at the other logs and see a wood combination that you like then copy it (if they mention what it is) and if they don't then add a post to an active log asking..

MRJG

MRJG
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI.
Thx for quick reply, I just wanted to know how much and the sizes is needed. I understand the the types of wood to use, I just don't know how much wood I need to order. šŸ˜Ž

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,041 posts

Pete pinned one of (original MSW) builders build logs in the cross section thread here

http://modelshipworl...on-timber-list/

the pdf listed all he used.

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationMoline, Illinois USA

I am assuming this build is still going? I want to draw the keel up in solidworks first as virtual since I have never built a model of this scale before only plank on bulkhead types.

Want to work on it virtual as I go so I understand how to build it before i start with wood and glue. need to see what size the complete model will be also as I want to make it radio control so I may want to enlarge it some

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.