20 Gun Frigate - DSiemens - Bottle - Finished

Thanks Patrick.  Its all part of the process.  I have some plans that will make tgisbwork though. :)

Starting on the rebuild.

0803170009a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

found your project Daniel........amazing progress on her :)   very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks every one.  Work continues.  So far my idea is working  The masts are completely removable and the rigging goes right a long with them.  

received_10155253030863705.thumb.jpeg.1c4cdc63e4492fbbdd561fadfd34efa0.jpeg 

• 3 months later...

She's in!  Just a little more work to do. 

1212172134a_Film2.thumb.jpg.50caf7b0e1ca2ae68193580dacea13b2.jpg

IMG_20171213_125143_675.thumb.jpg.6daa4c9db9f1df3e2657a1cd869cc157.jpg 

hi there Daniel!........she sure looks good in the bottle :)   was that a fairly new idea you came up with?.....bet you'll be filing that one away for future reference ;) 

awesome job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Fantastic work Daniel, you're really becoming a master at SIBs.  Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks every one.  

Popeye.  The technique of putting the masts in one at a time has been around for a while.  I've only done it once before and that was on a more folkart style model.  With the way the ship broke up when I first tried to get her in I thought this approach would be better for this model.  It worked out nicely I may have to use it in the future.  

Daniel, were the lines run from the masts to the hull outside of the bottle (i.e., with long slack lines) so that all you had to do was tighten and tie off?  I'm thinking about that approach for my SIB build which is using an upright bottle.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike,  No long slack lines no.  While puting the masts in one at a time is not new I did take on a new technique as far as the rigging is concerned.  I used paint brush bristles which stay straight but still bend with out breaking and will spring back into place.  All of the rigging was made from paint brush bristles.  I cut the lines precisely so they would line up where they met the hull, masts, yard arms or bowsprit.  Once in I dabbed some glue and glued them down.  I didn't have to cut any lines in the bottle at all.  Just careful manuevering and glueing.  

Edited by DSiemens

Brilliant! just Brilliant.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I've been away for a while and you go and finish this on me. Always beautiful work Daniel. And I get to learn something with every post.

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Great work Daniel!  Thanks for sharing.  What’s next in the shipyard?

Mike

Thats a good question.  Right now my ship yeard is in flux.  We are expecting a little one in February so I need to get my workshop out what will be the baby's room.  I am getting a murphy desk so I'll move my workshop there.  

From there I have a few projects.  More sibs of coarse but I've also gotten into a miniature naval warfare I made up and now play with my 5 and 8 year old.  The rules are simple enough for them to play and I play as a sort of dungeon master making up ships and monsters that we fight.  I want to make more miniature ships for that game.  I'm doing 1:1200 scratch built ships like my Queen Anne's Revenge.  I might do a Xebec or bermuda sloop at this scale.  :)

0527171924.jpg

Congratulations on the upcoming arrival of the little one, that’s really great news!  I have three which cut into my time and energy to do hobbies like this one, but wouldn’t have it any other way.

Mike

she looks super Daniel.......glad to see were able to finish with n more trouble.   congratz on the little one....2018 is going to be full of surprises already !  ;) 

congratz on a job well done!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye and Mike.

Update on the workshop.  I got a murphy desk.  

1228172232.thumb.jpg.18395307a3283938512c841c8d53ffa9.jpg

1228172233.thumb.jpg.20793f2265360096cb3b4c50bd17292a.jpg

1228172233b.thumb.jpg.71af1f47ef3512872a36c6de19e55f95.jpg

1228172233a.thumb.jpg.ba7b889fdd0d8c513c862a0ab93d4d05.jpg

Now on to more fun.

0101182113.thumb.jpg.277659958be00724f9c695f018da4682.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

that is so cool.........and it's all in that cabinet?!?!?!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

Popeye - I have another cabinet for storage in another room but as far as day to day modeling its all in there.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah sorry.  The domain name didn't auto renew as it should have.  Its fixed now.  I'm glad you are enjoying the site.  :)