Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

INTRODUCTION

This is the build log for Hr. Ms. O 19, one of only two submarines in her class of the Koninklijke Marine (Royal Navy).  Please forgive me for making this introduction very personal because she was part of my life and therefore holds a very special interest for me.  My father, Opperschipper (Adjudant) Petrus W. van Warmerdam, was with her from about one year before her launch September 22, 1938 till his promotion to Opperschipper in January 1941.   post-1399-0-18889200-1363745036_thumb.jp

At the time he was placed on the build he had the rank of Schipper, with the added function of Quality Control and Assurance Inspector and liaison between the Navy and the ship builder Wilton-Fijenoord in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. post-1399-0-82171100-1363745022.jpg

His second tour of tropical duty started right after his marriage to my mother in October 7, 1931, and they started a family while in Surabaya, the former Dutch East Indies.  My sister and I were born there, November 14, 1932 and April 15, 1934.  When his second six-year tour of tropical duty ended in the end of 1937 he had to return to the Netherlands.  Of course his family, my mother, sister and I, followed shortly after on the passenger liner M. S. Christiaan Huygens of the Stoomvaart Maatschappij Nederland, Amsterdam. post-1399-0-19839900-1363745008.jpg

When we arrived in the Netherlands we first stayed in Den Helder, the Royal Navy Base, but after hearing about the new class of submarines being build he immediately requested to be placed on them.  Because of his expert technical knowledge of submarines the Royal Navy agreed and he and his family moved to Vlaardingen Ambacht, Narcisplein 3 to be exact, a small town near Schiedam, in March of 1938.  Sjors and Anja know this area quite well.

The shipyard was located in Schiedam, the Netherlands and the boat he was assigned to happened to be the furthest along of the two in that class, mine laying submarines. 

The original design concept for a mine lying submarine was completed in December, 1934 and assigned numbers O 17 and O 18. (Reference pictures can be found in the DRAWINGS section)   However, the design was altered to a more squarish form amidships for better loading and discharging of the mines by engineer G. de Rooy.  (Reference pictures can be found in the DRAWINGS section)  Rumors have it that it is based on the design of the Polish submarine Orzel but cannot be confirmed.  The Orzel was also a mine-laying sub but I believe that the mine tubes were carried inside the main hull and not on the side as the O 19 class subs.  post-1399-0-08549200-1363744993.jpg

The O 19 and O 20 were also the first subs equipped with “getrimd diesel system ,” where the boat could run on diesel power while submerged to charge the batteries and for ventilation.   This is commonly known as “Snorts,” or “Snorkels.”  post-1399-0-22248600-1363744977.jpg  Navigation was done via the navigation periscope.

The KM (short for Royal Navy in Dutch) used to classify submarines for domestic waters with O and those for the colonies with K (K stands for “Koloniën ” which means colonies).  They were originally assigned the numbers K XIX and K XX, which was changed to O 19 and O 20 sometime during their fabrication.  All subsequence submarines received the O designation till the end of WW II.  After the war all subs received names instead of numbers.

The O 19 was launched September 22, 1938 with my father onboard of course  post-1399-0-74576000-1363744954_thumb.jp and officially commissioned on July 3, 1939, my mother, sister and I were present for that event. post-1399-0-34719000-1363744938_thumb.jp I was standing on extreme left of the photo, hidden behind the bow flag, next to my mother.  The ensuing trial runs were successfully conducted near de Scandinavian coast and the fiords where proof diving could be done more successfully.  Although the boat was designed for a maximum depth of 100 meters these proof dives were limited to 60 meters.

Special tests were to be conducted on the voyage to the Netherland’s East Indies to measure geological differences in the Earth’s crust when sailing over the continuation of a mountain range underwater as well as wave action while submerged.  She and her crew arrived safely and without any technical difficulties at the Navy Base in Soerabaja (old Dutch spelling) in September 1939.

My mother, sister and I followed in December of 1939 on the passenger liner M. S. “Johan van Oldenbarnevelt,” of the Stoomvaart Maatschappy Nederland. post-1399-0-14878500-1363744912.jpg  Both the Christiaan Huygens and JVO served as troop transports during WW II.

On January 1, 1941, my father was promoted to Opperschipper (Adjudant) and had to be transferred to a surface ship of the KM, which was the light cruiser Hr. Ms. Java. post-1399-0-45288800-1363744889_thumb.jp  The reason for the transfer was dat that rank was not maintained on submarines.  That was the second time in my short life that I saw my father shed a tear.  He loved the submarine service that particular boat and the crew.   As all submariners know these small crews on the subs become like a family.  He hated the Java, that “old rust bucket,” as he called it and he was subsequently killed in action on that ship during the “Battle of the Java Sea,” 5 minutes before midnight on February 27, 1942.  A long-range Japanese torpedo hit the Java in the rear port side just where his battle station is.  Fortunately he never knew what hit him when the powder room exploded and 20 meters of that part of the ship just evaporated.

I have photographs of the wrecked stern section that lies 70 meters down on the sea floor and now have closure and sort of a “grave marker.”

Our lives changed dramatically shortly afterward when the Japanese successfully invaded the Dutch controlled Indonesian islands and made us “guests of the Emperor” of Japan, i.e. prisoners of war, and placed us into concentration camps for the duration of the war.  Yes, even women, and children, all non military people were classified as combatants and came under military rule and in charge of the Kempeitai.

Fellow ship model builders, something you may not know but the Japanese High Command gave orders in the beginning of 1945 to exterminate all POWs in September of 1945.  As terrible as the two atom bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki are, it saved millions of lives and is the reason I am alive today with two beautiful daughters and a grandson.  My wife too was a “guest of the Emperor” in a concentration camp in Semarang, Java.  It is also giving me the great pleasure counting all of you as my friends.

The O 19 served with distinction during the entire war and I am sure that my father would be proud of her and the crew.

Well then, this model is in memory of my father and I dedicate it to him and the crew he loved.  The boat is still with us today, albeit as a wreck on Ladd Reef in the South China Sea (19.93 Lat, 174.57 Long).  Due to a navigational error she ran right smack in the middle of that reef at low tide.  And yes, the crew survived and was rescued by the USS sub “ Cod,” which is moored permanently in Cleveland, Ohio, as a museum.   There are some interesting films on “YouTube” of the rescue post-1399-0-56327900-1363744870.jpg

My model will be at a scale of 1:50 which translates to 1.6 meter and only shows the exterior of the boat, except for the side-launch torpedo tube assembly.  This unit is mounted outside the main pressure hull, between the hull and the deck structure forward of the deck gun location. 

It will be plank on bulkhead, using poplar wood for the majority of the build.  For the deck structure I may use 1/32 inch plywood over a frame of poplar, covered with epoxy resin.  The simulated hull plating will be 150 lb hot pressed watercolor paper over 1.5 mm poplar planking and epoxy resin.   Other materials will be brass rod, brass and copper wire, plastics, cardboard material and whatever comes to mind to achieve the desired effect.

I’ll be using red Titebond glue, Elmer’s Carpenter’s WoodGlue Max, which is an interior/exterior glue and waterproof.  Of course CA will also be used when appropriate.

I am still doing research on the original paint scheme at the time of the commissioning but that point is still in the future.

The drawing section is to follow.

Cheers, 

post-1399-0-56327900-1363744870.jpg

post-1399-0-45288800-1363744889_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-14878500-1363744912.jpg

post-1399-0-34719000-1363744938_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-74576000-1363744954_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-22248600-1363744977.jpg

post-1399-0-08549200-1363744993.jpg

post-1399-0-19839900-1363745008.jpg

post-1399-0-82171100-1363745022.jpg

post-1399-0-18889200-1363745036_thumb.jpg

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Piet, great to see you've started the log of you fathers O19. Your family has been part of a sad chapter of our history, I'm glad you are still her here to share it with us and that you're now able to make this special tribute to your father.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hey Remco,

Thanks for your kind words.  And of course also thanks for your help in obtaining the needed drawings!

Yes, they were tough times for us but I have many good memories from the times before WW II with my hero dad.

I hope that this log may add a little more knowledge of seemingly insignificant events in world history.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Thank you for your description of your father's career in the Royal Dutch Navy and of his sad loss.  Our own HMAS Perth fought in that same battle and survived, but was sunk very soon afterwards in the battle of the Sunda Strait.  Australia were proud to have the Dutch submarine fleet based at Fremantle in Western Australia during the war.

I'll be looking forward to your build log of this interesting ship.

John

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words.  And John, I am corresponding with two fellows in Australia and received a few pics of the memorial in Fremantle.  Another fellow is the diver/photographer who took pictures of the wreck of Hr. Ms. Java and have now a "grave marker."  

This build has been a long time desire and at last I have the opportunity to build my dad's beloved boat.

By the way, the picture of my father in my previous post is when he was a boatswain, way before he got married to my mother.  This must have been in the late twenties. It's only one of the three pics I have of him. 

More stuff coming soon.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

DRAWINGS

In my search for drawings I learned that none were available for the O 19.  First I contacted Wilton Fijenoord, the builder of the O 19 and O 20, via e-mail who told me that all their build drawings went to the Royal Navy Archives in Den Helder, the KM Navy base.  I tried several times to get in touch with them and the Museum but received no answers.  I mentioned my dilemma in my VOC build log and Remco contacted me via PM with a URL that had model builder drawings for the O 21 and also for the cruiser HR. Ms. Java, the ship my father was killed on.  Great, so I went to the URL and I tried to place my order for these drawings but their invoicing did not accept my order.  Hmmm, perhaps they don’t like Dollars, I thought and I can’t blame them. 

Now what.  I wrote my wife’s brother in law who lives in The Hague and asked him if he could buy these drawings for me and I would reimburse him for the costs.  He informed me that these drawings were no longer available because they were in the process of digitizing them and would take a few years.

I mentioned this to Remco and he offered to try from his end to purchase the O 21 drawings for me on a PayPal transaction.  Well, he hit pay dirt and snail mailed the drawings to me.  I figured that the O 21 may have been build along the same lines as the O 19 with the exception of the external mine compartments.  I could kinds, sorta, figure out the shape of the hull by looking at photographs and use the dimensions of the mines to get the approximate shape.  Well, later on I learned that there were more differences that would make my attempt not really look exactly like the O 19.  For one, the O 21 is a little shorter.

I didn’t know that yet so I continued my research in what mines the O 19 could carry, what the dimensions are and how many and where exactly on the hull.

In the meantime Remco did a lot of research himself and found that the original plans were archived in the KM Archive in The Hague.   One could order any amount of drawings and they would print them out for € 10 each!  Ouch!  But - - - they could not do that for the foreseeable future because they were in the process of digitizing the microfilm records.  Remco didn’t give up and “sweet talked” them into allowing him to come to the archive and make his own copies.  I have a sneaking hunch that by mentioning my father may have softened their hearts.

So, Remco went to the archive and was able to find the drawer of the microfilm for the O 19 and copied the most essential drawings for me, three versions of the body plan, the sheer, waterlines and half breadth plan, deck plans, interior layout, and mine compartment structure.

In addition to finding the drawings for me he also found a URL that had many actual photographs of the construction of the O 19!  I could download many and these too will be a great help in visualizing the shape in many areas, specially the bow and stern. 

Hurray!  With these drawings and the O 21 drawings and photographs I could now build a model with a high level of confidence that it would look as my father saw it and sailed on it.

I only had to change the scale of the drawings and redrew them to my 1:50 scale.  Well, actually the final version of the body plan, archive number 2960, I could manipulate on my HP printer to the size I needed.  All the others I had loft by hand on the floor in my studio.  She’ll be a big model and the Admiral asked me “where are you going to put it?”  “I’ll find a place my sweets,” I responded.  End of conversation, she knows how close this is to my heart.  We both have seafaring fathers and Navy men.

“Oh, buy the way”, she asked, “when are you going to make a model of my dad’s ship”?  “Which one, the one he made captain on in 1953 (M. S. Musi) or the one he was on when the JIN took it in March of 1942 (SS Duijmaer van Twist 3)?”  I asked.  He was at that time of the war a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy Reserve with the MLD (Navy Air Arm) and was ordered to report at the MLD base Kamayoran but subsequently ordered to report to Cilicap  (formally spelled Tjilitjap), the southern Navy base.  Kamayoran no longer exist and that section is now called Kecamatan Krembangan, in case any one wants to look it up on Coogle Earth.  He was to join 300 or so military personnel as well as civilians and take them to Australia on the KPM ship “SS Duijmaer van Twist.”   On the way south the JIN took this ship on 3 March of 1942.  All personnel on board were taken off and made POW’s.  The crew remained on board to work the ship for the Japanese who renamed her Dai Maru.  She was sunk by a US bomber attack on 14 May, 1945 . 

“One of these days dear.” ;-)

All the drawings are now made and I drew up the necessary bulkheads, keel and center vertical keel frame.  It’s now just a matter of transferring it to wood, but first I have to build the build dock.  This will be a piece of ¾ inch plywood 65 inches long by 12 inches wide, which should give me enough space for jigging and measuring equipment.  It also needs to be primed and painted.

I’ll glue the keel and bulkhead layout drawing on top of this nicely white painted board.  I checked the workbench again for level and confirmed that it was still level both ways. 

(pics of the drawings with explanatory text)

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR SUBMARINES O 19 AND O 20

Boat                            O 19                                                                                        O 20

Pennant #                   P 19, N 54           

Type                           Submarine minelayer for operations in home waters

as well as in the colonies.

Class name                O 19. Named after first of class.

"O" stands for "Onderzeeboot" (submarine)

Laid down                  15 June 1936                                                                             15 June 1936

Launched                   22 Sep 1938                                                                               31 Jan 1939

Commissioned           3 July 1939                                                                                  28 Aug 1939

Refit                           Feb 1943 - Feb 1944                                                                                                                                                            -

Fate                          10 July 1945 scuttled                                                            19 Dec 1941 sunk/scuttled

Other names             K XIX                                                                                                K XX (hit by mine)

Design                       Dutch design by ir. G. de Rooy. Possibly (but not confirmed) based upon the Orzel   class which was designed for the Polish Navy.

Shipyard                    Wilton-Fijenoord, Rotterdam

Le x Be x Dr               80.70 m x 7.41 m x 3.87 m

*Le: W-line 80.700 m

*Le: Max. 80.870 m                                                              80.70 m x 7.41 m x 3.87 m

*Be: Max. 7.411 m

*Dr: Trimmed: Fw. = 3.620 m, Mid. = 3.870 m, Aft = 4.120

*Keel to: Scope wavebraker = 10.75 m, to RDF mast = 15.3 m           

Displacement

Stnd/Surf/Subm            ex K XIX / K XX : 1015 t / 1145 t / 1561 t

O 19: 982 t / 1109 t / / 1491 t

Displacement                        *Norm: 1116.464 m3 (1145.492 t )

*Subm: / 1561.083 t

*Stnd:  / 998.542 t (1016 Kg)

*CM:  / 3850 m3  (3950 t)           

Volume                        *Net: 1302.598 M3 (460.282 t)

*Gross:  308.550 M3 (109.028 t)           

Engines                        Two 7-cylinder Sulzer diesel engines, 2-stroke, 2 x 2650 apk (shaft horse power)

Motor                           Two 500 apk motors

Batteries                        2 x 96 cells. 5300 Ah during 5 hours. 6000 Ah total

*Power grid: 175 - 260 V

*Light grid: 175 V           

Snort                            'First' class in the world equipped with a snort system, see notes

Shafts                           2

Speed surf/subm         19.5 kts / 9 kts

Range surf/subm        10000 nm at 12 kts / 27 nm at 8.5 kts

Depths                        *Diving: 100 m

*Periscope (flush):  15.5 m (15.2 m)

*Launch: 25 m            Diving: 100 m

Water                           *Drinking: 8567 ltr.

*Washing: 12350 ltr (6825 m3 in AHB tank)

*Distilled: 1400 ltr. not for battery and 1490 ltr. for battery           

Complement                40

Torpedo tubes            4 x 21" bow, 4 x 21" stern

Torpedo Type            O 19: Mk 8, V53, Mk IV*SD                                                            O 20: IV53, V53

Mine tubes                 2 x 10 external shafts amidships on each side.

Using the French Normand-Fenaux system. Each shaft contains two mines (above on                                     another).

Mine type                   Vickers (199 stocked in the N.E.I. in Feb. 1942).

On 13 Apr 1945 she laid a line of Vickers T III T mines.           

Armament                  14 torpedoes, incl. 6 reloads, and 40 mines

Guns                          1 x 8.8 cm / 45 AA. (*#3, Mar*#7) with *125 shells

2 x 40 mm Bofors in single 'disappearing' mounts, in watertight wells forward  and                                                 aft of the conning tower.

1 x 12.7 mm AA.

*Oerlikon 20 mm II

#S9195 OLK 126 IFF 47041

#S17707  OLK #16 5W 28620, OLK 8643 .116.'6  72455

*Forward watertight well and machine-gun possibly removed during the 1943-1944                                     refit.           

Small arms                  *Vickers 7.9 mm, 0.303"

GO #1, 1 type A, #3365, $33529, #34692

*Sub machine gun

Thompson  aka Tommygun 45 c 8.8 mm, 296305, 105333, 14491 mod u.o. 1941

*Automatic rifles

B3896, B5329,  B5470

*Pistols

#1 Automatic 2B66, 3B67, 2B68, 2b69, 2B89

#3 Automatic

Colt Automatic

Weble & Scott Ltd #2 Mk1 7041 and #1 Mk1 28620

Semi Gogswell & Harrison Ltd. 72455

Sonar                               Equipped with a geruispeiler (listening device) from Atlas Werke (Bremen). In those                                     days 'Atlas' was the best on the market.

ASDIC                           *120B           

RDF                              *Type 291

* SPEZ.1000N II (2)

# V/38033. TEL. E305N NO 67006 - 36

Fr: 1666 kc (180 m) - 75 kc (4000 m)

33.3 kc (9000 m) - 15 kc (22000 m)           

IFF                                  *Possibly type 251W           

Echo sounder                *Hughes & Son, ADM Pattern, universal type           

Log                                *SALSEL SYNLOG #4364           

Radio                                    *Transmitter: NSF svc 800 L /20, #4353/2

Fr: 15000 kc (20m) - 2500 (120m)

Pw:  800 W A13, 240 W A2 and A3

Seinw: A1, A2, A3

Supply: 175, 260, 3000

*Transmitter: NSF svc 200 L /30, #4353/1

Fr: 750 kc (400) - 250 (1200)

Pw:  200 W A13, 60 W A2 and A3

*Receiver: NSF MO 11/12 L/354

Fr: 14.27m = 20700 kc, 66.7 kc = 4497 m

Fr: 9000 m = 33 kc, 15 kc = 22000 m

Supply: AC 220 V ~ (kva), DC

*Receiver: Nat. comp. USA, HRO (standard) #94B

Fr: 10 m (30000 kc), 177 m (1708 kc)

*Receiver: AR88

Fr: 32 - 0.535 mH

Supply:  AC 100 - 260 v ~, DC

*Receiver: 13.29

Fr:  15 - 550 kc

Supply: AC 220 v ~, DC

*Receiver Amusement: 296A, Philips #3824           

Notes            - Often regarded as the first submarine class in the world equipped with the "getrimd diesel                            systeem" or "snort system". Also check the O 2, K II and O 16 class details for info on

even earlier Dutch snort systems.

- First Dutch class for use in home waters as well as in the colonies.

After this class the distinction between 'O' boats (for home waters) and 'K' boat (for the

colonies) was not used anymore.

- ?Partially double hull?

* = Source for this data is a WWII (possibly post 1943) personal notebook from an O 19 officer.

post-1399-0-63172800-1364092419_thumb.jpg

Hr. Ms. O21 model builder plans for O 21

post-1399-0-68236400-1364092396.jpg

Model of Hr. Ms. O21

post-1399-0-31089100-1364092389_thumb.jpg

Navy Project O 17 to build a mine lying submarine, 1934.

post-1399-0-01678600-1364092360_thumb.jpg

Final version design by ir. G. de Rooy in 1935.  If you squint real hard you can see the dashed lines of the original Navy plan.

post-1399-0-76485600-1364092347_thumb.jpg

Sheer, half breadth and deck plan for K XIX and K XX

post-1399-0-40231000-1364092333_thumb.jpg

My resized body plan to scale 1:50

post-1399-0-92279000-1364092312_thumb.jpg

My lofted keel layout to the scale of 1:50

post-1399-0-97153600-1364092290_thumb.jpg

Build board keel and bulkhead layout to be glued to the build board.

Cheers

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

You've done some great lofting there Piet. She'll be a very impressive model at this scale.

I'm glad I could help you out with a small part of the research, I now how much it means to you to build the O19.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

THE BUILD DOCK

Well, now’s the time to start the preparation for the build dock and it’s fabrication.

First I needed to make space on my home made workbench on the North wall in my garage.   I moved my DB200 Unimat lathe, Proxxon drill press and solder station towards the east end and then double-checked the workbench for level.  It still is! (pic 1)

I cut a ¾ inch thick piece of plywood to 12 X 65 inches for the keel dock.  Sanded, primed and painted it.  I even screwed some nice edging to the sides. (pic 2)

Then glued the keel/bulkhead layout on top. (pic 3)

As can be seen in the keel layout drawing only a small portion is parallel to the waterline. (see previous post, Drawings).  This is called the “dock keel,” which is a rather complicated and heavy box structure.  This keel box consists of three compartments where the two outboard ones are filled with lead ingots for ballast. (See future pics)

The forward part of the keel has a nice curve upwards that runs into the rounded bow. (see previous post, Drawings)

The aft keel starts with a flat keel structure similar to the dock keel but angled up then going over into a smooth upward curve towards the stern end. (see previous post, Drawings)

I made the keel supports forward and aft of the “dock keel” from MFD cut to the drawing curves and screwed to the plywood build board. (see pic 4)

I have added the actual photographs from the boatbuilder to show how it was done for real

I intend to install two dowels in the plywood build board that’ll secure the “dock keel” in place so I can remove and reinstall the hull later when needed always being sure that it’ll go back in it’s place. (see next post).

post-1399-0-90733900-1364178980_thumb.jpg

Workbench for O 19 model build.

post-1399-0-38707000-1364179023_thumb.jpg

Build board being prepped

post-1399-0-01250200-1364179045_thumb.jpg

Build board with keel/bulkhead layout

post-1399-0-07057700-1364179067_thumb.jpg

Completed model build dock.

post-1399-0-07824500-1364179100.jpg

Buildup of keel dock for Hr. Ms. O 19 in 1936

post-1399-0-67526700-1364179251.jpg

Keel dock nearly completed for Hr. Ms. O 19, 1936

post-1399-0-22019600-1364179270.jpg

Keel dock completed for Hr. Ms. O 19 in 1936

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you for the narrative, Piet.  Your father, and all who served with him, have my sincerest gratitude.

That said, I am looking forward to this memorial build with great anticipation.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hello Jan and Carl,

Thanks for finding this build and yes, please follow along, it's different.

Yup, I have finally started with my father's sub.  Had to get all my ducks in line first and thanks to Remco he has been able to obtain copies from the original drawings.

Challenging?  Yes, in a way but more emotional, knowing that he was involved with the final six months of the build.  He didn't endear himself with the boatbuilder though because he wanted inferior work redone.  But that's another story.

It'll be slow going though because I still want to devout some time on the VOC ship.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

LAYING DOWN THE KEEL.

I cut the separate sections of the keel from a ¼ inch poplar plank per the dimensions from my drawings.

The so-called “dock keel” and the first aft part next to it are chamfered 10 degrees with the narrow part facing down.  All others will be flared as necessary when the bulkheads are installed.  At least I have enough photographs from Wilton Feyenoord, the builder, to come to a close approximation.

The narrow and curved bow and stern keel pieces I have soaked in water and then bend to shape in the build dock.  This worked great and eliminates a lot of strain.

As mentioned in a previous post, the dock keel and forward and rear sections are heavy assemblies of several parts that not only house the lead ballast but also the water ballast and trim tanks.  I will add a few of the original photos for clarification.

In order for me to fasten the vertical keel frame centered to the dock keel I glued ½ by ¾ inch pine blocks to the keel, making double sure that they are parallel to the centerline with a ¼ inch space between. 

I also drilled 3/8 inch (9 mm) holes through the dock keel and into the build board for 3/8 inch dowel pieces.  This is so I can remove the model any time and it will always come back in the same spot on the build board. 

post-1399-0-43864300-1364524306_thumb.jpg

Dock keel laid down loosely and pinned. Stiffener blocks are at the ready for the vertical keel frame and doubling as fastening support for the bulkheads.

post-1399-0-80004700-1364524317_thumb.jpg

All keel pieces are loosely laid down on the keel dock. This allows me to transfer the shape to the vertical keel frame for cutting.

post-1399-0-58646800-1364524528_thumb.jpg

Keel assembly made by Wilton Feyenoord.

post-1399-0-12153600-1364524620_thumb.jpg

Part of the keel assembly by Wilton Feyenoord.

post-1399-0-61051700-1364524715_thumb.jpg

Part of keel assembly by Wilton Feyenoord and overall picture of laying down the keel assemblies.

post-1399-0-62004900-1364524810_thumb.jpg

This pictures the laying down of the keel assemblies for the O 19 and her sister the O 20.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Yambo and welcome to my build of my father's submarine.  A little bit of living history.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hallo Piet and thank you for the fascinating thread you have begun regarding the submarine on which you father served. Such an interesting story and one even I can relate to. My mother was in Indonesia with her father and mother, brothers and sisters when the Japanese invaded. Five years of total hell.

You have chosen a subject vessel with which you have some personal history and there are none finer.

I will follow your log closely as there are not many of this type of vessel featured on this site. When I was younger, I read many books of fiction regarding the submarines of WWII. I enjoyed them very much.

Good luck with your build. I'm sure it will be very satisfying.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Center keel frame splice and build up with reinforcing blocks.

The center/vertical keel frame is from ¼ X 4X 36 inches.  This was not quite long enough for the ¼ inch thick part so I needed to spice in a piece, he figured  ;)

So, I first trimmed this plank to 79 mm wide and then cut it in half.  Great so far.  Next I cut a small piece to splice in and spice plates from ¼ plywood.

I glued and clamped everything to together with TiteBond and put the whole assembly in the dock keel.  Fit great!

Next I cut and glued ½ X ¾ inch blocks of pine to the vertical keel frame to prevent it from warping and to glue the bulkheads to for additional stiffness and for a true vertical guide.

The following morning I removed all clamps and checked how it all looks.  To my great dismay the center keel frame has a bow in it at the rear spice.  Not a good thing. :(

I tried everything possible to straighten it out but nothing doing.  What happened was that the splice plates warped and bend the center keel frame.  First I removed these splice plates and replaced them with oak, thinking that’ll help, but no dice, same thing.  I was one ticked off dude. :angry:

So, I ripped everything apart again and threw it on the scrap heap.  Well actually I can still use a lot of the wood for small stuff and possible planking.

Off to the store and bought a new piece of poplar.  Fortunately it’s not expensive wood so I don’t really loose that much.  It’s nice wood but very prone to warping and I have to constantly wet it down and put weights on it.

This time though I am not going through that experience again and will splice in the thinner pieces for the bow and stern.   Don’t know yet from what wood, if I have enough boxwood of the proper dimensions then that’s going to be it.  It needs to taper from ¼ inch thickness to 1/16 and needs to be rather sturdy.

If I can’t find what I need then a message to Jeff Hayes.

I also copied the bulkheads on a few sheets of paper, cut them out and pasted them to ¼ X 4 X 36 inch poplar wood planks.

Well, that’s it for now.

post-1399-0-56226400-1364690901_thumb.jpg

The center/vertical keel frame splice being glued up with the bulkhead support blocks. Looking great, so far. I didn't make a picture of the disaster but onward we go and try to prevent it from happening again.  Kinda hard to tell how long this model actually is.  The shelf openings of the workbench are 21 inches.

post-1399-0-50996200-1364690926_thumb.jpg

Bulkhead templates glued to the 1/4 inch plank, ready for sawing them out.  I may have to add e few frames where the space between them is too large.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks for dropping in Jim.  Yes, it's coming along except for the minor setback with the center keel frame.  There are a few things I need to take care of though, the warping problem with the poplar wood, but I have figured out a method to prevent it from happening on the actual build.  More info coming soon.

@ Peter, Yes indeed, they were trying times for us. Being a "guest" of the Emperor of japan was no pleasure. What camps did your parents have "the pleasure" to be in?  I spend the first 9 months in Darmo Wijk, Surabaya, then most of the duration in Muntilan, formerly known as Moentilan, Central Java, then Banjubiru (Banjoebiroe), then Ambarawa camp 6 and Machalang.

But here I am enjoying life and retirement in sunny Florida being part of a tremendous group of friends from all over the world.  Priceless!

I'm following your Zeeschouw build, looks very nice.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

If there is one thing I love about this hobby, its the history and the stories behind these great sea going vessels we get to see reproduced here. To hear this story first hand makes this build one to watch. Looking forward to seeing you follow in your honorable fathers footsteps in building this vessel as he did.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Hey Jeff,

Thank you very much for your kind words re my father. Yes, I know he served with honor.  I'm sure he'll like this model and it means much more to me then any other ship model I could build.

Stop by again, please.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

New center keel frame.

Well, I bought a new poplar plank for the center keel frame and ripped it to 79 mm wide and cut the bottom curves to match the keel dock.

It fits just great and without further ado I now also glued the dock keel sections to it.  Instead of clamping I used brass brads and placed the assembly back on the build board for the TiteBond to cure.

In the meantime while the glue is setting I started to gut out the bulkheads.  A slow painstaking procedure but rather easy on my band saw.  I have a very narrow blade in it that allows me to follow the tight curves.

The final shaping is done on my Sears sanding machine.  A very indispensible tool!

I could not resist trying the bulkheads for fit, even though the keel is still not secured to the build board.  It looks like that the bulkheads will trammel out just great.

The line I am using is waterline #7, which just happen to be also the widest part of the hull and where the one and only “wale” or docking bumper is located.

As long as I can get all these lines at the same level I’ll have a true hull.  I’ll check it on each side of course and may have to file the groove a little to ensure also a crosswise level.

Remco mentioned that it was difficult to see how long this boat will be without a known reference.  So, I made the bow and stern keel pieces from a file folder and had the admiral, Gwen, take a picture with me holding it up.

I am now 5 feet 7 inches tall, or short, or 1,7 meter.  Yeah, I shrunk one inch.  Yeah, laugh all you young whippersnappers, you’ll shrink too when you are 79 years young.

Sorry for my grungy look in my work duds but it was a nice day and I’d rather wear shorts and shorts leave shirts.  Wait till summer, than it’s only a short and bare feet.

post-1399-0-16621100-1364785085_thumb.jpg

New Center keel frame. 

post-1399-0-47867400-1364785108_thumb.jpg

Piet cutting out a bulkhead.

post-1399-0-29481300-1364785135_thumb.jpg

Here I am checking the alignment of the bulkheads.  Everything is still loose but could not resist a trial run.

The admiral took the pic with my Canon and the auto-focus ring startled her, ergo the movement.

post-1399-0-70268300-1364785148_thumb.jpg

Just to show that we are pretty close to the mark.

post-1399-0-90585200-1364785161_thumb.jpg

Here I'm holding the center keel to give all Y'all an idea how long this model is going to be.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Looks like you're off to a great start towards a great finish.  I know you'll do her well and have a fitting memorial to your father.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)