Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Copyright - beware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Jack12477

Jack12477
  • Members
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

Now here is another layman's take on it...if the original artist or owner does not take action to stop illegal use of their copyright material, they can actually lose their rights to it. At least that's what I've been given to understand when asking why it's so hard these days to find some of the original company logo decals for particular types of scale models. The mfg. must get permission from the company who owns the rights to whatever it is. Ford, Chevrolet, etc.

That applies very heavily to Trademarks and company logos are generally Trademarks which is a different protection under Copyright. And yes they must be vigorously defended. Famous case is Refrigerator - lost it Trademark protection. That's why Xerox keeps publishing ads telling people not to say I'm going to xerox something but rather say make a Xerox copy or photocopy something.

I'm not sure if mere Copyright is that vigorous but I'm way out of my league on that nuance.

• mtaylor, avsjerome2003, GLakie and 1 other like this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

Jack12477

Jack12477
  • Members
  • 1,338 posts

Shiloh, see this link on length of Copyright Protection

Edited by Jack12477, 23 January 2016 - 09:44 PM.

• mtaylor and Canute like this

Jack

Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire, England

K, tidied up the digression into the 'copier return' as it was not on topic and the op removed their original post (perhaps for obvious reasons).

• Chuck, mtaylor, GLakie and 1 other like this

Ours is a life of constant reruns. We're always circling back to where we'd we started, then starting all over again. Even if we don't run extra laps that day, we surely will come back for more of the same another day soon. - Joe Henderson

daves

daves
  • Members
  • 1,299 posts

i have been at both ends of the copyright issue and after dealing with lawyers it came down to "this is a grey area and fuzzy" the cost of lawyers and fighting back and forth the advice is drop it. no one is going to make a big issue unless you are talking big big bucks. if i started making a soft drink and called it Koco Kola and raking in millions then yes it will end up a big fight. to make a copy out of a book or use a picture you found on the web no big deal. A lot of hot air and pounding chests and stamping on the ground, in the end all parties just walk away.

as i was told the issue of copyright is a free for all

i do not condone it, i do not copy others work, all i am saying is it is way more hype than reality

do you think chuck or i can fight ZHL models for ripping off our ideas and kits? we could try but the cost is not worth it  and that is the bottom line. I even had someone here in the states who tried to copy my work and i could really do nothing unless i spent a lot of money and the outcome would be iffy. 

it is not about right or wrong it is about who has more money to spend.

Edited by daves, 25 January 2016 - 05:44 PM.

• trippwj, cog, riverboat and 7 others like this

Jack12477

Jack12477
  • Members
  • 1,338 posts

Per, in an earlier post [now deleted] you described an issue you had with a photo processing lab's clerk refusing to print digital images from a memory card you had, even tho the photos were your own.

My Pentax DSLR has a feature that will store a Copyright in the Properties section of the digital image, it clearly shows the word COPYRIGHT followed by my name.  See if your digital camera has that feature; some of the smaller point-and-shoot digital cameras do not have it {my Canon Powershot is one]. It will prevent a similar issue in the future. The information stays with the digital image even when transferred from camera to computer or Thumb-drive.

• mtaylor, dgbot, avsjerome2003 and 4 others like this

Jack

shiloh

shiloh
  • Members
  • 286 posts

Don't care who you are, copyright protection should never exceed the effort and expense that the holder has placed into making a claim of protection. Really think the word copyright, will have any meaning more than ego when everyone has those words or a symbol automatically placed on everything they do. Reaches a point where it becomes graffiti. Making the effort required to obtain a patent, the same for obtaining a copyright that is in recorded in the public record, should provide defensible protection for a period of 20 years, no longer. Does not take long for anything that is overdone to become useless, so change the laws so copyrighting is more than just hoping for a windfall or a method of saying hooray for me. Been shot at and had rocks thrown at me, 'let the games begin', my opinion on this matter is embedded.

jud

• mtdoramike likes this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,214 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Jud,

Given the way things are, laws trump opinion.   So we gotta' deal with the laws.   

• GLakie, mtdoramike, Jack12477 and 4 others like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,304 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

If you didnt create it....you have no claim to it .....and you shouldnt profit from it.  If you want to use it...you must pay the person who created it or ask their permission to use it...simple rules in society.   Period

Unless you reach out to the creator, and make amends for not having the skills or creativity to think it up yourself.  Otherwise its no different than you breaking into my home and stealing from me.    Those people are called parasites and thieves with small brains unable to innovate on their own.   I personally loathe these self-serving, greedy individuals...

...and anyone who thinks otherwise because they might be too cheap to pay for the original or two lazy to ask permission....the willingness to support these parasites is just as bad.....and the law is not on their side thank heavens...at least not in this country...you could however move to China.

Locking this because its just going round and round.....and remember, even though we do have international members on this forum, it is based in the good ole U. S. of A.    

This topic was not created to open a discussion on copyrights.  It was created to define the NRG Policy.  The NRG will always protect the rights of the creator  and their wishes and not those of the profiteer. Members can have a different opinion but understand that all members not adhering to the policy and choosing to post or use copyrighted material obtained without proper compensation or permission from the authors...... will be warned and then finally banned if repeatedly in violation.

Chuck

• Jim L, mtaylor, michael mott and 19 others like this

Chuck Passaro - MSW Admin 

Current build - HMS Winchelsea - POB scratch build

HM Cutter Cheerful - POB scratch build

Royal Barge - POF scratch

www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.