Long Term Paint Storage

I could have sworn there was a thread here on storing mixed paint but I can't seem to find it. I'm a little ticked right now. I have been using those Testor's 1oz paint jars to store leftover acrylic colors that I have mixed. I went to take a look at a couple I had bottled up about 6 weeks ago and both lids were loose - paint was ruined. Sure, it's possible I might have not tightened one of the lids but not both. I wonder if those cardboard seals are really worth anything?

Which brings up the bigger question, how do you store your paints? Not the stuff that comes straight from the store but the stuff you have to mix to get a certain color or shade. I've bought 2 different brands of paint jars. One had a cardboard seal (as I mentioned) the other had a styrofoam seal which dissolved after a few weeks.

The jars that Tamiya paints come in seem to keep the paint intact. There doesn't seem to be any seal on those just the plastic lid. I'm definitely saving those as I empty them.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

After mixing and using acrylic paint in my airbrush, I store the surplus in syringes which I seal with the end of a nail. I have stored paint this way for many months. Syringes are available cheaply on eBay and I have made stands to store them. Being transparent makes it easy to determine the colour of the paint and being stored in a syringe makes it very easy and economical to reuse the paint.

post-1505-0-00198400-1453783173_thumb.jpg

In addition, also available on eBay, are plastic bottles designed for storing acrylic paint for use in an airbrush. These are also quite economical to buy. Search airbrush supplies on eBay if interested.

post-1505-0-88489600-1453783559_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

A trick recommended for storing Tung oil may work for paint:  add marbles, or in this case glass beads to reduce the volume of air in the jar.

Store the bottles in a Mason jar,  an open bottle of water in the sealed jar would saturate the environment with water vapor and greatly reduce any loss of water the paint bottles.  A similar setup with oil based paint with excess solvent in the jar environment should reduce any tendency for the paint solvent to evaporate.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I've used a product called Bloxogen before that works okay......and then I realized the argon bottle on my mig welder was a cheaper alternative, just set it to purge and a few trigger pulls into the container is all that's needed. I used to go through a lot of Alumilite plastic in a product I made but lost alot  of it on the shelf and the argon kept it alive for a very long time.

Giving more thought to the bottle seals -  cardboard does not seem likely to make that tight a long term complete closure, and plastic may potentially react with or to components in the paint - especially oil based paint.   Why not try to go Old School?   I am thinking that auto parts dealers may have cork veneer - thin sheets of cork used to make gaskets.  Plug disks could be cut and used to seal the paint bottles. 

The ultimate would be glass bottles with ground glass plugs.  In the Lab, we stored sensitive chemicals inside a large jar, with a wide lid - mating ground glass rims, coated with a silicon grease and a top port that could be connected to a vacuum line and then closed off.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I'm kind of mixed about the seals. My experience with the Testor's bottles (cardboard seal) If you get paint on them i.e. shaking the jar or turning upside down, the seals tend to absorb some of the pigment. So I'm hesitant to reuse the seal with another color.

Will look into the plastic squirt bottles or syringes.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

The small Humbrol pots of acrylic have good tight press on caps - you actually have to use a small screwdriver (best all purpose tool in the world) to prise them off. I put a couple of drops of acrylic thinners in the pot to replace that lost by evaporation, a final stir, lid on, shake and store. I've had one pot of a light brown for years (very little use) and it's still good.

Alan

it depends on what kind of mix you have, a mix of pure paint will keep for a while. but its not recommended to return thinned mixtures back into the bottle. you could get some gasket rubber from home depot and a circle cutter to make gaskets for the cap. other than that, reduce the amount of air in the jar and turn them every now and then.

Lionfish - I've never seen that at Home Depot. Where would that be located?

I have purchased cork gasket material at auto parts and farm supply stores. Might be hard to find today, I have several rolls in the shop but they were bought over 20 years ago. Needed some a while back and found that it had hardened up and became brittle, soaked it in warm water and the cork came back to life. You can get a paper type of gasket material and cut it to size, soak it in water before you use it, makes it soft so it will take the form it needs to make a seal. Might be able to find some "O" rings to fit inside bottle caps.

jud

Edited by shiloh

I've used pieces of the plastic wrap one uses for bowls, etc.   Cover the opening and press it into the threads on the bottle then put the cap on.  Seems to work but I don't use paint much so I'm not sure of the longevity.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I never seem to have problems with the jars that Tamiya paint comes in, no matter how long they have been open. I found a site that sells those jars. I've ordered some and will report back if they are identical to the paint filled jars. Would be a nice solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the Tamiya mixing jars I ordered. They are just like the paint jars - especially the tops - just a little bigger.  My Tamiya paints have stayed good opened for months, so I am hoping for the same with these jars.