Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Glad Tidings Pinky by alde - Model Shipways

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationBremerton, WA USA

Here we go with ship number 2. I am almost done with the Bounty Launch but wanted to set it aside for now to start something new. I had the Glad Tidings and the Armed Virginia Sloop on the shelf and decided to go with this one. I love the lines of this little schooner. I got it started with no trouble so far. Cutting the rabbit went pretty well. All the bulkheads are in place and the supports are going in. I should have the 2 halves together very soon and will start to plan the planking.

I hope to learn as much from this build as I did the Bounty Launch. I will do my best to keep the log updated and take as many pictures as possible. Sometimes I get carried away and forget. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions. I sure wish I had the skill and nerve to jump into a bigger project but I want to take it slow and build my skills. I also need to learn to slow down and take my time.

Thanks for stopping by. Please don't hesitate to point out anything that looks out of place or to ask questions about the kit or what I am doing. 

Al

Attached Thumbnails

• Box.jpg
  • Box Close up.jpg
  • Inside Box.jpg
  • Construction 1.jpg

Edited by alde, 24 February 2016 - 07:56 AM.

• ccoyle, coxswain, hexnut and 4 others like this

Elijah

Elijah
  • Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationChicago Area
Looks nice! I will come aboard, if I may!
  • alde and donrobinson like this
-Elijah

Current build(s):
Model Shipways Phantom
http://modelshipworl...showtopic=12376

Member of:
The Nautical Research Guild
N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Tim I.

Tim I.
  • Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationFinger Lakes Region, New York

Al,

It is a great build. One a really enjoyed.

Pulling up a seat to follow your build!

- Tim

• alde, Elijah and donrobinson like this

In Process Builds: USF Essex 1:76.8 Scale / Kit Bash - Model Shipways : Prince de Neufchatel - 1:64 scale / Kit Bash - Model Shipways

On Hold Builds: USS Constitution 1:76.8 Scale / Kit Bash - Model Shipways

Completed Builds on MSW: Glad Tidings - Pinky Schooner - Snap Dragon - USN Picket Boat 1

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Tim,

I have read through your Pinky log. It's going to be a great help in my build.

• Elijah and donrobinson like this

gerty

gerty
  • Members
  • 297 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Look forward to following along - 

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop -BlueJacket

Emma C. Berry-Model Shipways.

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts
I'm making a wee little bit of progress but nothing worth pictures right now. I am getting the bulkhead supports in and will get them nice a faired next. I will get a couple of progress pictures before the halves go together and another after. I am looking forward to getting the planking started.

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts

I got the hull halves together. The fit was pretty good and it went well. I have started fairing and that is going slow but pretty good so far. I really like the lines of this little ship. After the fairing the supports for the cabin and cockpit. Some of my bulkhead supports might be in the way but they should be easy to shim. I am a real wood butcher compaired to some of you guys but it's getting better. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Hull 1.jpg
  • Hull2.jpg
  • Hull3.jpg

• coxswain, yvesvidal, gerty and 5 others like this

Tim I.

Tim I.
  • Members
  • 1,176 posts

It really is a fun ship to build. Your halves look like they went together well.

- Tim

In Process Builds: USF Essex 1:76.8 Scale / Kit Bash - Model Shipways : Prince de Neufchatel - 1:64 scale / Kit Bash - Model Shipways

Completed Builds on MSW: Glad Tidings - Pinky Schooner - Snap Dragon - USN Picket Boat 1

Jim Lad

Jim Lad

• Moderators
  • 5,238 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Looks like you've made a good start.

John

UpstateNY

UpstateNY
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationSaratoga Springs, NY

Hi Alde,

I'd like to follow along as well if you don't mind.  Nice job on pairing up the two halves of the hull...looks really good.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Thank you all for the likes and joining in. Please don't hesitate to point out errors or just point and laugh. ;)

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts

I can see that fairing the bulkheads is one of those things that's easy to do but difficult to do well. Slow and easy is the way to go for sure.

Elijah

Elijah
  • Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationChicago Area
The halves look good together Al!
  • donrobinson likes this
-Elijah

Current build(s):
Model Shipways Phantom
http://modelshipworl...showtopic=12376

Member of:
The Nautical Research Guild
N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

timo4352

timo4352
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Locationnortheast Ohio

Looking like a good start Alde. Maybe you can inspire me to start mine up again soon.

• Dee_Dee, alde, Elijah and 1 other like this

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts

The fairing is going pretty well. The bulkheads are pretty thick which is really nice. It makes it much easier to see the hull shape up. I don't want to take much more off so I am checking it often with a piece of planking. Please excuse the messy bench. Maybe I will get it straightened out before I go much further.

Attached Thumbnails

• fairing1.jpg
  • fairing2.jpg
  • fairing3.jpg
  • fairing4.jpg

• yvesvidal, hexnut, markjay and 4 others like this

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Well, I got all my deck beams in and that was easy enough but now it's time to plank the hull. I have read and re-read the instructions, read the Jim Roberts planking book and some on line information as well as some build logs. I'm still not sure I have a firm understanding of it.

I have sectioned off the 3 belts per the instructions and ran my battens. It looks to have a good flow and seems to match the plans pretty well. The plans have plank patterns and I may see how those fit but I want try spiling my own planks too. I have a proportional divider so I thought I could use it and tick strips. 

Am I going in the right direction? It seems that some of you guys pick this stuff right up and do a great job. I seem to be really planking challenged. Of course if I just did it and quite worrying about it I would be better off.

Attached Thumbnails

• deck frames.jpg
  • battens fwd.jpg
  • battens fwd high.jpg
  • battens aft.jpg
  • battens aft high.jpg

• steamschooner, coxswain, gerty and 6 others like this

UpstateNY

UpstateNY
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationSaratoga Springs, NY

Hi Alde,

I am no planking expert, but your runs look pretty good to me.  I'd just make sure the battens are symmetrical on each side and then see how things look once you done your tick strips! 

Cheers,

Nigel.

• markjay, alde, Elijah and 1 other like this

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Nigel, Thanks for putting a second set of eyes on it. it looks like if i use the plank patterns on the plans they will note close to fitting at least at the bow. they are way too wide. I am using my tick strip at each bulkhead and dividing it by the number of planks in the belt. I know this may seem elementary to some of you seasoned plankers but it's still voodoo science to me. :( It will be slow going but it looks like it will lay out according to the plans. 

Tim I.

Tim I.
  • Members
  • 1,176 posts

I should chime in as I used the plank patterns. They are larger than the planks, but that is good as you will want to shape and sand them into place, but they are not far off the mark.

If you decide to plank as you have mentioned above, if it was me I would spile the planks. You will be quite pleased with the result. 

I hope this helps.

- Tim

• alde, Elijah, UpstateNY and 1 other like this

alde

alde
  • Members
  • 430 posts
Tim, Maybe it's my fairing but at the plan width they would be way too wide. This will at least be a good lesson on laying out the planks. I will still use the patterns as a guide.

Edited by alde, 06 March 2016 - 01:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.