Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

Hi Bob, Thanks for that. I originally was going to use balsa until I found out the price. When I went to the lumber yard the smallest piece they had was approximately 3"x4"x4' and it would have been over $100.00, although I must say it was nicely wrapped in plastic ;) . I decided to go with a 1"x6"x4'(unplaned) basswood board instead which cost $20.00) . I found it very easy to work with and it will have a better glueing surface versus balsa, not only that but I now have enough for several more builds :)  :)

Might be worth your while in future ordering some Balsa in from here, even with the import duty it's a lot cheaper than $100 http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/balsa-block.html

Edited by Cobr@

Hi Don,

The trellis turned out well. Thanks for asking. I used a plan I've had kicking around for a long time. It's a pyramid freestanding trellis, technically call a "tuteur", but that seems a bit too lah-di-dah, so I'm just calling it a trellis.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Dave: Thanks, and David please do post picture I would like to see it too

Hi Don,

You'll be aware or my order of 3 kits from Zoran before I go for a larger kit, probably the Santa Maria.

I'm a complete rookie and hope to be able to meet the standards of your work at some point. Brilliant stuff.

Thanks for sharing "how to do this stuff". I find all of you guys are so skilful and inspiring. Please bear with me through loads of early mistakes but I know I'll improve as I go.

Kindest regards.

Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks for that, although, not so sure I would go as far as saying brilliant :P

You are going to enjoy your builds and this hobby, and what a great idea Marisstella has by setting up this "course".

It is said throughout this forum constantly to "sit back, enjoy and take your time" always remember this and you'll be fine. Mistakes we all make, myself it's daily, we learn by these and it's cool to do so and no one is going to torment you for it.

The other two important things are to start a build log here at MSW then ask questions lots of questions  in your log or by pm(private message) if you so wish. Certainly never forget about Zoran, he is amazing and has the answers.

Take Care

p.s. I just ordered the Barque Stefano and the Pasara :D  :D  :D  :D

Edited by donrobinson

Don, in my opinion you don't ever have to want for balsa if you are thinking of filler blocks at least at the bow or stern (no offence to those who use it successfully). I've used it on both builds but only for shaping in areas that will not require pins or separational torque (not sure how to put that). It cannot hold a pin or screw under that kind of tension. I use basswood anywhere near the bow and stern where there will be torque and it works fine. In fact the only reason I use balsa at all is that it is so easy to sand - the wood almost melts away. You have to put much more effort into shaping basswood but the effort is worth it IMHO.

Best, Ian

Edited by Seventynet

Good Morning Ian & Don

In regards to the Balsa i used it on my endeavour and it was too soft.

I pinned a lot of planks and where I used balsa the pins wouldn't hold.

It did its job otherwise, but won't use again. Besides over here it is not cheap.

My brother who is is a patternmaker says to use "Jelutong" or

to be more correct "Dyera costulata", according to google.

Cheers Chris

Nice blocks Don!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, well it is kind of embarrassing what I have to show as it is not much.

I have been busy with just about everything except ship building lately. The spring yard work on the acreage is almost done and it is finally raining so I hope to get more time in the workshop.

I took a little diversion from filler blocks and made the bits and started the mast tops.post-20628-0-41615800-1464108042_thumb.jpg

Using the lathe with sanding blocks and files I shaped the bits

post-20628-0-91896400-1464108064_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-16734900-1464108104_thumb.jpg

Here are the three finished bits, they still need poly

post-20628-0-17678200-1464108136_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-41958600-1464108160_thumb.jpg

Mast tops are carved from 8mm dowel

post-20628-0-32765000-1464108197_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-23691300-1464108227_thumb.jpg

Sanded taper using a shooting board

post-20628-0-76647900-1464108261_thumb.jpg

Then the finished product, well not finished but I'm done with it ...... as it is cut 1.5" too short :o  :angry:  :(  :P . Not a total waste as it works great as a swizzle stick :D .

Anyway I have since milled a piece of 8mm square walnut and will attempt to re-build to proper length today and possibly do some filler blocks.

Thanks for stopping in and have a good one. 

Looks like an interesting challenge getting those curves in Don, but no doubt a welcome diversion. Nice looking lathe and centering chuck.

Best, Ian

Thanks to all for stopping by and for all the likes.

Ian: Thanks, the curve was a little bit of a challenge but I think it will be a lot easier using square stock. I proclaimed yesterday a "day off" so I did not get the second one done. Energy level is much higher today and the weather is still too cool and wet for yard work so hopefully I 'll make some progress today and have some updates. The lathe is a Sherline which I bought last year along with a mill, really good tools.

Good Morning All, 

Well I finally sucked it up and got the filler blocks finished on the port side. This was a evil job :angry: but one that I decided had to be done as the hull is only single planked. I know by following the plans and installing only bow and stern blocks it would have been just fine as the planks are 1.5mm thick. So, yes, I am a whole bunch nuts

It was a total of 30 hours finishing this side, starboard side should go faster I hope. I used basswood(and wood filler and spackle :P ) which I think is going to give a real good base for the planking and proved to be fairly easy to work with.

Warning: the following pictures are not pretty and caution should be taken before viewing. This unorthodox method should not be tried in a normal home!!!

There was no alcohol consumed during any of this procedure, what happened after will remain private :D.  

post-20628-0-43437000-1464621949_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-55212600-1464622201_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-63895400-1464621971_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-15164100-1464622052_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-69179200-1464622074_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-65583300-1464622099_thumb.jpg

Yah I know, crazy looking stuff. After a lot of sanding it is actually real smooth and test planks lay nicely on it, hopefully all this helps with the planking. It is now on to the starboard side as now she has a terrible list to the port :o .

The lumber in the pictures is for some flower/garden boxes that I have been hired to build so I won't have any updates for a few days.

Take Care and Enjoy your builds

Edited by donrobinson

Wow, seeing those first few shots makes me want to get out the belt sander.

Don - your best guess, I can see where some of those blocks might be needed between a few of the wider bulkheads. Do you think they are necessary between all of them?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Wow, if I was from Newfoundland and saw only that first picture, I'd say "that's some shockin' b'y!" It looks good in the end though Don and that's what matters. Looks like it will be a terrific base for the planking.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

HaHaHa, told you it was just a little crazy, Thanks for all your comments and likes. Just a little different to say the least but it worked and will be covered up. Whether I needed blocks between all bulkheads I'm not sure, probably not, but now I am certain I will have a good base.

Thanks Again :)  :)   

Hey Don - I just noticed your signature. Didn't realize you have done the Amati version. Is it fair to compare?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Mike,

To answer your question.. No, the Amati version is a entry version kit and this one is by no means that. I built that one for my grandson as a present and it was a lot of fun to build, however, this one is even more fun to build and I am pretty sure it will be on my shelf when it is done ;)

:) That made me smile Skip, and you are certainly right. I really think it is a lot of overkill on my part as the plans only called for blocks on the bow and stern but when it is all said and done she should be real nice to plank

Edited by donrobinson

Wow!! ... that was something a little different... nice job Don...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Frank, it's always so good to hear from you

Don, a really great start on an interesting subject.  That's amazing too that there is such a long, detailed manual - wish more kits did this.  Very nice job!  The filler blocks was a bit of any ordeal I'm sure, but you have a fantastic planking surface.

Can I ask what woods are in the kit?  Also, I saw that the bulkheads are hollowed out.  I was curious as to why you think that might be, and whether you found that approach to weaken their structural integrity?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Dave, I also think it's worth the extra time(which I have lots of)

Hi Mike: It is good to see you back at your Pegasus again. Thanks for your comments. As for the wood there is lime, walnut and oak. The reason the bulkheads are hollowed is to allow the finishing off of the interior. As for the strength this model is incredibly strong there is all kinds of bracing to add to the strength and the interior planking adds even more. She is a very well thought out kit, the only problems I have encountered are ones I created myself.

Hello B.E.: Thanks ever so much for stopping by and checking out my build. She is really an interesting model and has been very enjoyable so far. I am looking forward to completing the filler blocks and starting the planking hopefully not to far in the future. The next couple of days I have some work to complete outside, that I brought on myself, then I`ll be devoting more time to shipbuilding.