Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Heller Le Glorieux, what to do about rigging?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

modlerbob

modlerbob
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

I just acquired the 1/150th Heller Le Glorieux in a model swap involving several other kits.  Upon opening the box I discovered what looks like a fairly well detailed kit, at least from the keel to the main deck.  But while the masts and spars liik adequate the kit doesn't include any rigging blocks.  To my mind it is just too big to tie thread to the appropriate locations like one would for a smaller scale sailing ship.  Plus the rigging instructions are abysmal. So I am thinking of building it as an admiralty model with no masts, spars or rigging.  A couple of things I'm wondering about is that if I build it as an admiralty model should I paint it to look like natural unpainted wood and should I include the armament.  Also, should I leave off the masts entirely or install short stubs?  Any comments will be appreciated.

• tasmanian and Ray1981 like this

Bob DeWoody

ScottRC

ScottRC
  • Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationThe land of Sunflowers, Tornados, and Oz.

We have a couple of build logs on both the Le Superb and Le GLorieux since both are generally the same kit.  I have the Le Superb.  Having built a number of these kits, I have learned to use aftermarket threads, blocks, and to scratchbuild the upper masts and spars.  Making it an admiralty model is a great idea.  Again, there are a number of build logs where we simulate the plastic to look like wood.  There is a Heller Victory build by Daffy who is doing a lot of what you are asking about,  Look through the section on admiralty models to get a feel as to how they are fitted out.  Good luck.  Scott

• docidle, Canute and Ray1981 like this

“I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,”

Current Builds: Revell 1:96 Constitution

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Something that will be POB

Ray1981

Ray1981
  • Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationItatiba, SP, Brazil

Hey Modlerbob,

Cool you bought this kit. I think the rigging will be difficult yes and if you do this you would have to buy the rigging accesoires from a third company. There are a couple of companies that sell thread and rigging blocks that can be used.

http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

http://www.shipwrigh...p-Fittings.html

I bought from both companies some materials and both deliver quite fast and deliver good quality. Im new to this hobby so take this in acount when I give an opinion. 

Enjoy your kit and share your result with us I'd love to see how others progress with this kit and im sure the rest of the forum would enjoy too.

Grtz Ray

• docidle and Canute like this

Thunder

Thunder
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire - England

Hi,

I did the superbe kit and made my own rigging plan. Any blocks above 2.5mm I brought but most I made from Styrene plastic lengths.

superbe exp norm fls 1.jpg

It is easy to make blocks down to about 1mm square. All masts are those provided with the kit.

• mtaylor, docidle, tasmanian and 2 others like this

Bill Morrison

Bill Morrison
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

There is a fairly new company out of Czechoslovakia called HISModel that sells aftermarket products such as wood decks, sewn cloth sails, cloth flags,  blocks and tackle, and turned brass cannons for many sailing ship kits, including the Heller Le Glorieux and Le Superbe.  I have tried some of their products and they are outstanding.  The company operates an eBay store, so check them out. You won't regret it!

• mtaylor, docidle and Canute like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.