Yes indeed.

Those batten strips need to be a "press-fit" into the grating.   Not too loose and not too tight.  In order to get it just right because the tolerences are so tight.  Just run the battens through some sand paper.  Just once or twice and try it again.  You will know when its right.  It will fit really nice. Dont ever force it because of impatience.  AND this is what holds the grates together although I would still apply a wash of diluted yellow glue.

these parts are made just a hair larger or within a close tolerance to what is needed.   It would have been far worse to make them even a hair smaller than needed and loose.   Even though this would make assembly easier,  it would not achieve the same result.  Pulling the battens through some fine sandpaper is a piece of cake.   The results are well worth the effort.  This would also be true if you were making them from scratch.

Chuck

post-2-0-92210800-1428636196_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-77055100-1428684164_thumb.jpg

Going thru this routine last night I completed a grate and the coaming to go with it. It looks quite nice! I have some pix of the result, but also wanted to show a few pix of the steps I took. Will be making another tonite so I'll take a few more pix and post in my build log.

I'm glad to get these grates working, as I have a number of holes to cover on Niagara's deck.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

My resupply of Syren grates arrived yesterday along with a couple extra jigs. Chuck even sent me a couple extra grates to replace the ones I busted up the first night. Everything is working well. A few pieces needed sanding but most dropped right in. I got the extra jigs so I can be making more than one grate at a time.

I'm glad everything is resolved, they look good and add a nice level of detail. And cudos to Chuck for standing behind his product and making things right!

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 5 years later...
On 4/6/2016 at 5:49 PM, mikiek said:

I did finally get a repeatable process for making the coaming pieces with a half lap joint. Sometimes I just struggle with the table saw.

Mike, I'm starting to make my hatch coamings and saw this.  Did you ever post what your repeatable process was?  Would appreciate any help on this.  Thanks.

.John

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

John,  Take a look at the June 1 post in the Charles Galley build log in scratch builds 1501-1750.   There are also detailed descriptions in Frolich's The Art of Ship Modeling.  One of the keys is to make the gratings close to the size you want, then make the coamings and head ledges to fit around the grating to assure a tight fight and not have to worry about open holes next to the head ledges or coamings.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Mike & Allan: Thanks for the info.  My issue is specifically about fabricating the lap joints for the coamings.  And I have the additional burden of the only power tool in my possession that could may be of assistance is a Dremel knockoff.  This topic here does not really come to a conclusion: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/7949-cutting-lap-joints-for-deck-furniture-etc/?tab=comments#comment-235440

I do have that Dremel Router attachment, but I could not figure out how to use it to notch out the edge of the coaming stock.

Also, forget about Googling hatch coamings; the predominate hit is about installing a hatch with coamings in a kayak, ugh.  I did find one hit that had a decent how-to description.  Unfortunately (well maybe not), it is found on a post from that 'other site'.   Here's the link:  https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/hatch-coamings.7491/page-2#post-171358 .  Not sure I will go for the outside beveling of each side because I will be placing them directly on the deck (plus I don't have a power table sander).  If you know of anything anywhere else, I'm all ears (and eyes).

Thanks...John

.John

You do not need any power tools to make the joints, after all, the beautiful contemporary models we see were made with hand tools.   A set of well honed chisels and back saw is about all you need to make the corner joints.   Lady Nelson was built in 1798 so she would not have lap joints per se.   The type of joint you need for this era can be seen in the following pics.   You can see more detail on this type of joint in the Euryalus books and the TFFM series.  The first pic with dimensions happens to be for the Euryalus, so you may need to adjust for Lady Nelson or other vessels.

Allan

481557420_Coamingsandheadledges.jpg.c1c695867fc929c0f9d3ddf83c4a9952.jpg1288671509_Coamingsandheadledges2.jpg.2397e250a4f262978f662347174a4756.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

You're welcome John

The post shows nice looking coamings but the joints are simple lap joints and not appropriate for that ship.  I say that because the head ledges and coamings are pretty high which indicates the era when the dovetail type lap joint was being used.   Still, they are very neat and look really good.

I don't recall   seeing that much beveling along the tops of the coamings but it may be appropriate for that ship and others.  You can easily add a slight and very even bevel with a home made sanding stick.  

You mentioned earlier about placing them on the deck.  Keep in mind they do not go on the deck planks, they rest on the beams and carlings which is why the corners are kept square until the planking is done.  At the point you can cut a small vertical bevel on each corner with a chisel or scalpel then round the bevel with sand paper.  Also, the pics at SOS do not show the shelves on which the gratings themselves rest.  Maybe he just did not get that far in his photos, but putting these in the proper place makes sure the gratings are at the proper level within the coamings.   

Looking forward to seeing your finished piece!!!

Allan

Spyglass, thanks, just what I was looking for; how to make the joints.  Similar to the SOS technique, but this looks easier.  Phot #3, with the file looks like a nice way to get them all lined up.  Fortunately my hatches are  square so I can use that technique on all four pieces at once.

Thanks...John

.John

• 9 months later...

Rereading some of my old posts - Joel, I miss ya man, I Miss Ya Man!