Fregatte Berlin by maggsl_01 - FINISHED - Corel - 1:40

Hello my friends and mates...

It is time to come back to the shipyard. I will start my 4th build log now. Actually I wanted to make a longer break after finishing the Endeavour. But I am forced to stay home for some stress-related health problems and my doctor said I should better do some things to get relaxed and come back to the normal life... Well: What could be better than to build a model ship?  :)

I decided to build the Fregatte Berlin, 1674, from Corel in the 1:40-scale. As you may know I am german - so I wanted to have a look into the german history. In matter of naval history there is not so much to report about: Most of german naval history is part of the so called Hanse in Hamburg and other cities around North and Baltic Sea. Well known is the model of Wappen von Hamburg. As Germany was devided in numerous small counties, shires etc there was no united state with a big army or navy.

Only Brandenburg, the region around Berlin up to the Baltic Sea, had a navy as it was situated in the north of Germany and had a entrance to the sea. And Brandenburg grew up to a important political entity, the later Prussia - and thus the very beginning of the German Empire. After the Thirty Years' War in 1648 Brandenburg became quite important. Passing the years the elector built up a Navy: There where some wellknown vessels incuded like Fleute Derfflinger, Große Yacht, Fregatte Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde and Fregatte Berlin.

I think you all know about the history of the Fregatte Berlin. The model from Corel is based on the historical research by Mr Hoeckel, an expert for historic ships in the late 1930's. There is no real evidence how the ship was built in real. There are no documents or drawings and thus the plans Mr Hoeckel made where a summary of the ship building tradition in the midth of the 17th century in Holland. The Berlin was build according to the dutch tradition.

The Corel kit is no longer state-of-the-art. The wooden parts are not precut with laser or water-jet but made with the saw. This means to all parts esp the frames and the keel that you have to be very cautious. All parts have to be worked with files and sanding paper. It's a lot of dust but it's more a building-feeling than the perfect prepared parts Occre or CalderCraft offer :)

So I did and will still have to do before I can only think about glueing. I also prepared the metal fitting for the decoration of the stern. I will paint the parts according to a contemporary description I found in Mr Hoeckels book. So I sanded the parts and used some primer. I just did the first parts, the rest will follow.

The plans are plans :) I love them :) I am looking forward but I am afraid as the model is only single planked with waltnut strips. Well, we will se. I estimate a building time of more than a year. Most of the parts have to be build and are not precut. Thats what I like :)

Cheerio my friends - I am not sure how regulary I will work on the Berlin. Depends on my health conditions.

I attached some pics - as usually

Max

post-7014-0-32356500-1459956505_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-02754700-1459956512_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-50380300-1459956514_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-06264100-1459956521_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-48099200-1459956523_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-75714800-1459956525_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-30967900-1459956535_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-35190700-1459956546_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-41128300-1459956553_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-56056300-1459956556_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-13822600-1459956594_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-25949300-1459956620_thumb.jpg

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Max, I'd like to be an early bird and follow along. Looks like this is a very heavily decorated ship. Best of luck with it.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Good start! This should be fun to follow :)!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hello Max,Best wishes for your health, modeling can be frustrating but also a little difficulty can transform to calmness ,a sense of acheivement brings relaxment ,with prayers of wellness and support from your many friends and followers,I will be one,the Admiral say's hello and is getting better from her fall,I like your choice of model, Edwin

Hello my freidns,

thx for your kind words. I think I will stay another three weeks at home before I will return to the office.

A word to the Corel kit: After I had an intense look at the supplied woods and parts I will adjust my estimation: The building time will be longer than a year. There is nothing prepared so far. All parts have to be sawed off by me, only some basic parts like the bulkheads, the keel an some smaller parts for the decoration, the chain wales, the galion and the decks are precut. But they all need detailed finishing - what will be possible as the plans are excellent.

I was surprised that the decks should not be planked but only carved with a knife. I will plank them and ordered some maple strips. Anmd I was much more surprised that the masts are NOT from dowels but from square bars and have to be done also by me. I will have to buy a planer to get along with this. I think a rasp and only a knife would not fit to that job. The Fregatte Berlin from Corel seem to be a very interesting model and a quite amazing and exciting build.

Keep on living...

Next time some pics will follow

Cheerio

Max

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

Max, take care of yourself. I enjoy your songs picks and look forward to seeing your new picks. :)

Your description of this kit sounds interesting. I await some pictures.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Hi Max - I recall the Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel also had square strips ti make the masts. They were already tapered so all that was needed was to round off the corners with a small plane & some sanding. Check your square bars for the masts - they may be pre-tapered also.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

@mark

yes the bars are already tapered so "only" the round shape has to be done :)

I see this as a challenge as it may lead deeper into the modelling tradition. And - some far day I will build the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde. All that I can learn before will be welcome to help with this major mission.

Max

Hello again - it's just me :)

I started with the first steps on my Berlin. All "pre-cut" parts have to be finished very carefully. Sanding, cutting, widen up the gaps etc has to be done. And I have to be very cautious as  I have to take care of all steps coming in the future. Doesn't make any sense to planbk the decks and to build them onto the frames as long as the gaps for the masts are not exactly cut off - e.g.. There are many other things to be thought of so I will not glue anything unless I am sure to have done all important things. 

On the pics you can see the most important tools at the moment - files, knifes and a rasp. And the pics show that the masts are not dowels but square bars - but they are already tapered. I am sure the build will be great :)

Cheerio

Max

post-7014-0-24165400-1460147655_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-28168500-1460147663_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-73701400-1460147665_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-68360000-1460147672_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-27344900-1460147675_thumb.jpg

Max,

You are completely right on your concern about Corel's Berlin kit. But plus, I think that the plans are not too exact on some sections.

What I remember is about whales, the plane of the gun ports between whales according to the plane of the main deck.

It will be well to strengthen the whole keel before planking to prevent the single planked keel from bending, no second chance to close errors.

You should use your imagination power on many stages. It is possible that you shall rebuild your own, new and appropriate parts rather than using unsuitable kit parts. But it brings the pleasure at the same time, as you said...

Best wishes for your pleasant struggle...

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Square masts! Interesting. Best of luck with this build I'm sure you will make a masterpiece of her.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hello my friends, just a little update

I was working on the frame the last days. All bulkheads are glued and additionally fixed with some wooden blocks. The whole frame is quite strong now.

There are some "filler blocks" delivered with the kit. But I think they are just worth for the rubbish... I got some balsawood and will make the filler blocks for the bow section by myself. As the Berlin is single planked it is indispensable to fill and shape at least the bow. I am thinking about to make also some fillers for the rest of the ship below the decks. Probalbly it would not absolutely be necessary, but I am convinced that this will strengthen the stability of the hull. I will test the procedure on the bow and then decide.

The next days will be full of wood dust and  sanding paper.

As always - some pics of the current status.

Cheerio

Max

post-7014-0-87842600-1460641944_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-06271600-1460641953_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-52635600-1460641955_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-48683300-1460641962_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-86293000-1460641964_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my friends

I haven't been here for a long time now, as my father got very sick and finally died a few days ago. So I am not in the mood for building - and btw even if I would not have any time as there is much to do now. I started with the balsawood filler blocks but I will have a break now.

CU - and dont forget to join time after time

Cheerio - a little bit sad one

Max

My condolences on your father's death, Max.   Losing a parent is never easy.  Take care of yourself and what you need to do.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Max, my deep condolences. Be strong. Hobbies can wait.

Ken

Sorry to hear about your father :(. You may take as much time as you need, we aren't going anywhere.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hello my friends,

I want to thank you all for your kind words.  It is good to see that compassion around. I will dedicate my Berlin to my Dad and thus I will always remember his passion for the Sea and the naval world.

CU soon when I go back to my shipyard regulary

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my friends

I am back again. Everything was good with my Dads funeral, we had much fun, were sad, had da drink or two in remeberance - and now it's good,

I started with the filler block, which I will use in the bow section and at the stern. Here the ship is quite rounded and a good fundament for the planking will be needed.Some pics will show the progress.

Cheerio

Max

post-7014-0-62881900-1463350594_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-05949900-1463350597_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-05115600-1463350625_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-98180400-1463350627_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-30643600-1463350630_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-53766000-1463350636_thumb.jpg

It's good to see you back, Max.  It's good when a funeral is all of that.   Good memories help displace the sad ones.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Ferit,

I am not quite sure what you exactly mean. Perhaps you can explain it to me? I am always interested in any modification that brings the model closer to reality 

;)

I know the pics of your log and I am deep impressed of the work you did with the windows. I will not go so far and substitute the metal applications. I hope I can word with some paint and a lot of sanding to reach a satisfying result.

A question to all now:

Please your opinion: The Berlin is meant to be single planked with walnut strips 2/4mm. I use some filler blocks on all parts that are rounded on the bow and the stern (perhaps I will fill up also the midth of the hull, not sure yet. Depends on the progress and the tests of the planking.)

Now... 4mm mean in a scale of 1:40 that the planks are just about 16 cm (6,5 Inch) in original size. All sources I found report about a minimum size of about 25 to 30 cm. So I would be better to use some 6 or 7mm tall strips. And as I use fillers the strips can be just 1 mm thick. So they are easier to bend and to glue.

What do you think? Pls tell me your opinion

Thanks

Cheerio

Max

When I started to build Corel Berlin kit, by ignorance I was supposing that which part Corel supplies is in the correct proportion :-(   

It was a mistake.

IMO, If the cost for the replacements doesn't matter, it's reasonable to follow accurate ratio...

To use some 6 or 7mm tall strips is a really good idea.

post-2145-0-31701100-1463672744.jpg

post-2145-0-55509900-1463672823_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Ferit

thx for the pictures... now I understand :) I will have a look and create a false deck on the false keel... so much false :) :)

And yes I am quite sure to buy some additional strips - the costs for all hull planking will be about 30 - 40 Euro. Thats ok. Only ... its a pity for the provided strips from Corel. They are a fantastic quality... look for some other projekt.

Thanx again

Max

• 1 month later...

Hi Max, I finished my Berlin a few months ago and I can tell you that this model offers a lot of fun. It is a very beautiful ship, and there are a lot of parts and details that can be improved from the kit. It took me two years to build it, including some breaks. And yes, it is a single plank hull, so you have to check and recheck your planking before glueing. If you need some advice or want to see some pics of my Berlin, I will be happy to help you to get the most out of your kit.

Regards,

Rodrigo

Santiago, Chile

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all my friends around

YES I am still alive :) But it is summertime, 30 degrees hot, bbq and garden - no time to sit in the shipyard.

I'll be back as soon as the season turns into grey fall - what we be sooner than thought.

Many fun and joy to all

Cheerio

Max