Imperial yacht Standart (1893) by Alexey Baranov - FINISHED - Done - scale 1:48

• 3 weeks later...

How did you do the cowl-vents ? By vacuum-forming ?

I like the QF-gun, but would have constructed it from several pieces, given the technologies you have at your disposal. BTW, if you chemically tin the brass and polish it lightly, it quite looks like steel. Or are you going to plate it with e.g. nickel ?

Are there still commercial brass-founders in Russia, or was this done in a 'back-yard' foundry ? Which may be the same actually ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

On 21.03.2017 at 4:43 PM, wefalck said:

How did you do the fairing-vents? When vacuum molding?

I like the QF-gun, but would build it from several parts, taking into account the technology you have at your disposal. By the way, if you are chemically tin copper and polish it lightly, it looks quite like steel. Or are you going to lamellar it, for example, nickel?

Are there still commercial brass founders in Russia, or was it done in the "backyard" foundry? Which can be the same, in fact ...

This is an ordinary 3D engraving. I make parts by the method of lost wax.

All the details I do myself. Of course, I do not cast myself. For this, there is a caster in a handicraft workshop. I produce part models and this is the most difficult part of the process.
Of course, I will process brass parts with several chemical solutions to obtain an elegant and realistic appearance.

Very nice. I envy you for this technology (or rather combination of them).

I know, in Ukrainian there is no letter 'H', therefore, there are transcription problems: the correct name of the manufacturer/license-giver for the gun is Hotchkiss & Cie. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_Ordnance_Company).

The new version of the gun looks good, but somehow I have the feeling that you now erred on the large side for the barrel. Maybe this is due to distortions in the photograph, but the gun looks somewhat unbalanced. In theory, it should be more or less balanced by the trunnions.

wefalck

Hey.
I speak and I think in Russian. The Russian language is very expressive and diverse. You certainly will not believe, but all the languages of white people are basically based on Russian sources. On Earth, there are only four main languages (I do not consider two more separate languages (very few people speak these languages)). All other languages are dialects of Russian, Chinese, Swahili and Lakota.
The Ukrainian language (I do not use this language (but I know)) is also a dialect of the Russian language. It has all the basic characteristics of the Russian language, and the letters have more than a Latin. I use the GOOGLE translator to avoid making grammatical errors.

So, this time the trunks are made correctly. I found a mistake in making the first batch of guns. The whole reason is soft wax. I can not avoid deformation of the workpiece when clamping in the chuck of the machine with subsequent four-sided processing. The breech of the gun is closer to the attachment point, so here the deformations are within one hundredth of a millimeter. However, the end of the trunk deforms much more (1 tenth of a millimeter on each side). The only way to correct the mistake is to change the barrels on a lathe and replace, solder to silver.

I continue to remodel (not correct and spoiled wax models) and to make new details. In the near future I will manufacture the matrices based on the previously obtained master models. I will begin to reproduce mass identical parts (the method of lost wax).

IMG_9126.jpg

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9131.jpg

IMG_9132.jpg

IMG_9133.jpg

IMG_9134.jpg

IMG_9135.jpg

17813714_1327310747361715_977737291_n.jpg

17821054_1327347617358028_653416524_n.jpg

IMG_9121.jpg

IMG_9122.jpg

IMG_9123.jpg

IMG_9124.jpg

IMG_9125.jpg

beautiful wax modeling Alex, and the investment casting parts look great....

Love that 3D rendering of the ships structures to get an idea of the modeled parts and how they fit together. (real professional processing, I beleave!)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I, indeed, tend to think that parts that were turned on the prototype, such as gun barrels, are best reproduced as turned parts. Casting, 3D-printing, or milling will not reproduce the surface and geometry in sufficient quality.

I tried to be polite about the Ukrainian language, as I know from my experience in the UN that some people are quite touchy in this respect ;)

However, I would contest your classification of languages. The slavonic (of which Russian is one), romanic and germanic languages have a common root, an indo-european language. Have a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_languages. And beyond Europe here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family.

This reminds me of an old joke: Q: Which is the most widely spoken language in the World ? - A: Chinese ? - A: No, bad English !

But this is besides the topic. So, back to the topic: I love these CNC-milled wax masters and the cast parts made from them ! I should really look one day into this technique. The main difficulty is to find a brass-foundry that doesn't charge you an arm and a leg ...

wefalck

Oh! Yes ! How right you are!
The caster is really a godsend. I use the services of two casters. The first caster does the job flawlessly. However, his work costs 1 dollar for 1 gram of casting. This is very expensive, so here I'm only giving away relatively light parts and the master of the model (for further copying (multiplication)).
The second caster is not that good, but his prices are cheaper by almost half. Sometimes spoils my wax patterns. However, I managed quite well with the last job. There were large details with very thin (0.9) walls.
However, I can tell you about the general misconception about the origin of most languages. This topic (if you are interested) we will discuss in personal correspondence (not in this forum). I am ready to tell you very shocking facts.

If you do not mind, I'll sometimes take notes on the photo ... In my opinion, it's more informative than the general text. This forum is also viewed by my compatriots (Russian-speaking colleagues), so I will make notes in two languages. I met copied photos from this forum in other forums. Let. This will take into account the interests and conveniences of more of our colleagues and adherents of our hobby, art, sports of our way of thinking and living at last.

IMG_9137.jpg

IMG_9136.jpg

My matrix and my workplace. I began to multiply the mass details.
My injector, very old, many times remade and modernized. However, it works very well despite the age ...

Мои матрицы и мое рабочее место. Я начал размножать массовые детали.
Мой инжектор, очень старый, много раз переделанный и модернизированный. Однако работает весьма исправно не смотря на возраст...

IMG_9138.jpg

Looks more like the finish of the small boat production ;).  Some pictures of the construction would be nice !

I think you are a professional. In both senses of the word, in terms of the quality of the products, I gather also economically speaking ?

wefalck

Fascinating casting and the small boats look beautiful, Alex. It looks like you cast far more parts then you can use on your two models. Do you sell the rest or just keep them in case you mess one up?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

On 12.04.2017 at 5:35 AM, dvm27 said:

On 12.04.2017 at 5:35 AM, dvm27 said:

Fascinating casting and the small boats look beautiful, Alex. It looks like you cast far more parts then you can use on your two models. Do you sell the rest or just keep them in case you mess one up?

Hello Greg
I do the details for the two ships. But I always make a small margin (to compensate for possible marriage during casting). It happens to lose wax patterns.

On 11.04.2017 at 8:15 PM, wefalck said:

Looks more like the finish of the small boat production ;).  Some pictures of the construction would be nice !

I think you are a professional. In both senses of the word, in terms of the quality of the products, I gather also economically speaking ?

This time I do not make boats. For all my career I built several thousand boats. So now I can entrust this work to another person and control the fulfillment of my plan. In my opinion, this man copes well with my thoughts.