Bluenose by hamilton - 1:64 p.o.b. - from MS plans

Hello there:

This log will document my first attempt at a scratch built ship model. I've chosen to start with something more or less straightforward -- a 1:64 scale plank-on-bulkhead Bluenose based on Model Shipways' plans. 

I purchased the plans for the 1:64 MS Bluenose several years ago while I was working on the Amati 1:100 Bluenose. I wanted the plans as reference for the rigging, which on the smaller Amati kit had been quite radically simplified. Since then, the plans have been gathering dust in a drawer. But I always imagined that I might return to them once I felt ready to embark on a scratch build. 

The choice of Bluenose, then, was guided by the fact that I own the plans, which include reference drawings of all the laser cut parts, as well as by the fact that I've built the Bluenose before (though in a smaller scale). I also felt that, though clearly the principles are different, cutting my teeth on a p.o.b build would be a good way of getting into scratch building with an eye to a fully framed ship model. 

In any case, everyone knows the history of the Bluenose, so I won't repeat it here. This log will be more like a documentation of my clumsy entry into scratch building. Since I'm also working on the Mamoli America as a gift for a friend, the Bluenose build will no doubt be very slow. I also plan on continuing with kit builds alongside this project, which will also no doubt slow it down.

The need to acquire some tools (and save some money in order to get them) will also slow things down a bit - currently, I'm equipped with a bandsaw, which I'll use to cut the centre keel pieces and bulkheads, but I can already see the utility of a disc sander and mini drill press.....I think for this build I can wait on other things like a mini table saw, but I'm going to assume that the priority of tool acquisition will become clearer as I work through the build....

I know that there are a lot of Bluenose logs here on MSW, but I hope that this log will add something to the mix. For starters, here are a couple of photos - my tracings of the centre keel pieces and a practice-run at the bow piece using 1/4 basswood - it's pretty rough, as you can see. This was made to help me get a feel for the bandsaw and is out of scale thickness in addition to being kind of ratty. I'll be using 3/16 birch ply for centre keel, bulkheads, rudder, and sternpost. I bought some of this today at a local hobby shop, but it is not very good (lots of warping). I'll use this to do more bandsaw testing and try another source for the ply.

Well that is all for now....those who've looked in on my America (and perhaps other logs) will know that the frequency of my posting is quite idiosyncratic, so sorry about that....I'll try to be more diligent in the future!! 

hamilton

post-304-0-54533800-1460666679_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-87614000-1460666691_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-59514900-1460666702_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-05520700-1460666714_thumb.jpg

Edited by hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Nice start! I've got MS bluenose plans, so maybe I'll follow in your footsteps someday. I hope you don't mind if I follow!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Welcome John, Patrick and Elijah - thanks for the comments and likes! Of course I don't mind if you follow along - though you might mind at how slow I am.....The Bluenose is a beautiful subject - having built her at 1:100, I'm excited to see her come alive at a larger scale. I have a lot of learning to do through this process, especially around the fabrication of the structural elements. I'm not as accurate as a laser cutter, so I'm guessing there will be a lot of scrap ply generated through the early stages of this process.......bye for now!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

It's great to see over here on the "darkside", Hamilton.  If your kit bashes are any indication, you'll do great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark - nothing like your Licorne, but......

hamilton

Looking forward to seeing how she progresses!  I've just started the MS Bluenose build (from the kit).  Some day (many years from now) I might be brave/experienced enough to try a scratch build.

Just a quick note on technique - for comment, if anyone has better ideas.

To make the templates for the centre keel and bulkhead pieces, I use relatively heavy A4 paper, carbon paper and the patterns provided on the MS Bluenose plan sheets. Placing the A4 paper on my work surface (the dining room table), I tape the carbon paper atop it carbon-side down. I then lay the plans on that and trace the patters with a sharp pencil.

An alternative would be simply to photocopy the patterns from the plans and use cut-outs of those - this might increase the accuracy as less would depend on the steadiness of my hand.....the issue is that, after so much earlier consultation of the plans and so much unfolding and refolding, I'm worried that it would be difficult to get an undistorted image....so my by-hand technique will do for now - at least for cutting some test parts.

I've managed to make patterns for the centre keel (as noted above), and bulkheads A-L. I'll finish up the other 3/16" pieces (bulkheads M-O, rudder, sternpost and one deck beam) tomorrow.....photos when they're done

hamiton

If you can photocopy (and get exact copies -- sizewise) or scan and print out a copy, just cut out the part oversize on the paper and rubber cement it to the wood.  I hope that makes sense...    Seems that copiers and scanners sometimes distort things in one or sometimes both directions.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hamilton:

At this point, I would trust your hand more than the accuracy (or lack of it) of the copier. It is a very low tech way of doing it, but it sounds like you are on the right (accurate) path.

Russ

Thanks Mark and Russ

Great suggestions! I guess I can always test the scanned/photocopied patterns against the plans (which, from my experience, are also likely to be "off" a bit, since they themselves are copies!) and check for distortion. At the same time, there is something meditative about doing things by hand. Since I'm really in an experimental/tool-learning phase I feel like I can try both approaches and see what happens.....I have a lot of scrap wood lying around to use for testing, so I'm really just messing around before getting serious about making the parts that will frame the model.....hopefully there will be some time this weekend for finishing the 3/16 patterns and doing some test cutting on the crappy maple ply I have....

hamilton

So long as the patterns you use match the plans you working from, then all is well.

Russ

Thanks Russ - we'll see if that ends up being the case!

Anyways, I've finished making initial test patterns for the 3/16" keel pieces, bulkheads, sternpost and rudder. I've laid them out on the maple ply I bought to make billets, trying to be as sparing as possible with the wood, despite the fact that these will not likely be the pieces I actually use. Maybe I'm being overly cautious......but I think a bit of practice will help.

Here are the patterns laid out on the billets. I'll use rubber cement to fix them on the plywood and then get to cutting! Not sure if I'll be able to do this anytime soon, but.....looking forward to a rough assembly.

hamilton

post-304-0-26863500-1460869813_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-20613600-1460869824_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-44463300-1460869841_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-72141300-1460869852_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-50930000-1460869867_thumb.jpg

Looking good!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks Elijah!

hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there:

The Bluenose is not exactly "progressing" but my experiments with the bandsaw in cutting the basic framework elements continue......

I've discovered several things:

1. My hand is not as steady as I thought....the patterns will benefit from the use of a straight edge - I find that the curved areas are much easier to get right free hand, but a straight line confounds me!

2. The band saw is great, but I need a thinner blade. I'm using a 1/4" blade (factory supplied) but the operator's manual tells me I can get 3/16 and 1/8" blades....I'm planning on investing in the 1/8" blade - some of the curves, particularly on the aft bulkheads, are too sharp for the blade I'm using combined with my lack of experience.

3. I need much more practice with the bandsaw in terms of just basic operations. As you'll see from the photos below, my hand at cutting is just as unsteady as my hand at drawing. I think I will need to try harder at cutting just outside the lines of my drawings and then refining the pieces with a (yet to be acquired) disc sander.

4. While the outside edges need to be cut outside the lines, the bulkhead slots on both the centre keel and the bulkheads themselves need to be cut right at the line, otherwise they are far too thin. I ended up cutting the slots a bit inside the lines and this resulted in a rough fit of the bulkheads that was, if not perfect, close enough that with practice I'm confident I can achieve good results.

Anyway, there's not much in the way of pictures. I realise that I'm going to have to spend a bit of time making a building board once my experiments with cutting the keel and bulkheads is over and I get serious about the project. For now, here are a few shots of the keel pieces, given you an exact indication of how sloppy the work is right now.....again - some more experience and a new tool will hopefully go towards better looking results!

hamilton

post-304-0-16073800-1462141592_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-90898900-1462141603_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-91683800-1462141616_thumb.jpg

Hamilton:

I agree that practice with tools makes a lot of difference. Also, the right tool for the right job. So, a few different blades and some practice will be a great idea. I have to do this a lot. It is par for the course.

The joint in the profile former is something that many of us deal with. It just needs some fine tuning. The key is to not remove too much material at once. Go slow, measure a lot.

Russ

I was told to cut about 1/16" outside the line and sand/file down to the line.

This has worked for me.... with a finer blade on a jigsaw.

Possible you can use it with a finer blade on your saw.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Thanks Russ, Alan and Frank:

Yes, going slow is definitely in the cards! I think the band saw will work fine for the purpose I'm putting it to, but I can't expect that the parts I cut using it will be fully dimensioned....as I mentioned before, I can see the value of a disc/belt sander already - though I never considered a jigsaw for fine trimming of the parts......I still have to invest in a smaller blade and I'll see what kind of effect that has as well - I just invested in a bit more ply to do more experimenting - hopefully I'll have a bit of time this weekend to give it a whirl....

hamilton

Hamilton,

That looks great.

I have the Bluenose kit from MS that I intend to get going with someday.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks Per - she's a beautiful ship! I hope I can do her justice and I look forward to seeing your build when you get to her!

hamilton

Hi Hamilton

When you get the 1/8" bandsaw blade you'll have much better luck on the curves.  Any curves that are too tight for that blade can be cleaned up using a jewelers saw, or simply by sanding of filing.  I would recommend cutting everything slightly outside the lines and refining the shape by final sanding or filing.

I originally used rubber cement, but later switched to glue sticks (I use Elmer's school glue).  The paper can be removed by wetting it and then scraping it off with a razor blade.

Hi Frank:

Yes I'm hoping for this result! Can I ask why you switched to a glue stick? I find the rubber cement very easy to work with - and particularly easy just to peel the paper off the wood - it comes off smoothly and any residue can be removed with a light sanding. I used rubber cement in a tube before and it was a nightmare - very finicky and it got everywhere! But Elmer's rubber cement in a jar works great. Anyway, interested to know about your preference. Thanks again for stopping by

hamilton

I use rubber cement and remove it with an eraser.

At first I applied it incorrectly but was soon schooled in the proper use by Druxey.

1. Apply to both the wood and template sparingly. Or two pieces of wood (if one will be opposite hand) and one template much later.

2. Let dry until tacky

3. then apply the template to the wood and press them together (or wood to wood if there are two pieces then repeat for the template)

4. let dry completely

5. cut just outside the line

6. clean up to the line (checking mating fits regularly)

7. when satisfied separate the pieces and clean up

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for all these tips! And sorry for the late response - it's been a busy time at work and the I was out of town for a while. But now I'm back and at the front end of my summer "vacation" (meaning I'm just working from home on a more flexible schedule. In addition to some projects around the house and some work-related projects, I'm hoping to make some further progress on both my current builds - the Mamoli America and the scratch Bluenose.

It's clear to me now that I should just give up on trying to get super-accurate cuts on the bandsaw. So I've ordered a belt/disc sander from MicroMark (taking advantage of their summer sale) which hopefully will get to me here in the next 10 days or so. In writing this, I realised that I forgot to add to my order some of their birch ply sheets! That was dumb.....Finding 3/16" ply at the few hobby stores we have here is impossible - lots of 1/4" and 1/8"......but nothing in between. Anyways....I can see that scratching something even so "simple" as the BN is going to be a costly endeavour. Tools and wood are going to cost....and of course I'm not going to make my own rigging thread or blocks or cleats....the metalwork overall is an intimidating prospect - I wish some kind soul would post a detailed tutorial on soldering for those of us who only know how solder smells and nothing else.....

Anyway, the sun's going to be shining this coming week, the kids will be in school and I'll hopefully drag the saw out to continue with the messing around before the sander arrives and I get around to ordering wood. Bye for now

hamilton

Hamilton,

See if you can find Ken Foran's book on "Modeling With Brass".  He's a member here (xken) and his book is most informative.  Probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know.  Otherwise, I know there's been some mini-tutorials in some build logs, but I'm drawing a blank on which ones.....  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

<smacks head>  I'm glad you posted that Grant.  I forgot all about it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: