HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by Timmo - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Hey Wayne,

Hope all is well with you.  Just looking at your build for reference as I slowly plod along with my Granado.  Just wondering when you put the hatches on the deck, etc., I take it you just glued them down on top of the planking.  No one sets them "into" the deck planking do they?!?!  Also, I also really, really like the base with the dropped anchor.  You have a a good eye for visual presentation for sure, and that Granado display is just super.  Cheers!

Brian

• 1 year later...

Hey Wayne,

Hope all is well with you.  While I am working on installing the cannons with all their gun tackle I thought I would take the opportunity to ask a quick question on the Granado that has been bugging me for about a year now:  Where did you squirrel away the canopies to the mortars.  Did you just suspend the one (which looks so nice!), and the other 3 went back into the box?  It appears to me that there is little to no room for stowing them in any fashion that wouldn't look haphazard, and I don't think it would look much better having all 4 suspended.  I will look at Joe's and some of the other build logs to see how they worked this out, but I thought I would see if I could get your line of thinking on this...

Best regards,

Brian

9 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

Hey Wayne,

Best regards,

Brian

Hey Brian, I've just checked and although @Timmo is still active, he does not appear to be following his own build log, so might not have spotted your questions, maybe try PMing him, be a shame  for you to miss out on some valuable input from him.  Beautiful build and great presentation!

22 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Hey Brian, I've just checked and although @Timmo is still active, he does not appear to be following his own build log,

Thanks @AJohnson,

Words of wisdom that are most appreciated.  I will do it!  I've got a list of questions for Granado's master shipwrights. 😃

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2022 at 1:38 AM, HardeeHarHar said:

Hey Wayne,

Hope all is well with you.  While I am working on installing the cannons with all their gun tackle I thought I would take the opportunity to ask a quick question on the Granado that has been bugging me for about a year now:  Where did you squirrel away the canopies to the mortars.  Did you just suspend the one (which looks so nice!), and the other 3 went back into the box?  It appears to me that there is little to no room for stowing them in any fashion that wouldn't look haphazard, and I don't think it would look much better having all 4 suspended.  I will look at Joe's and some of the other build logs to see how they worked this out, but I thought I would see if I could get your line of thinking on this...

Best regards,

Brian

Hi Brian, 

Sorry about the delay in response. I've had the ship building on low-rotate for a while and don't get back here too often. I do intend to return to future builds though and love still looking at the fine work on this site.

In answer to your questions- I think I still have the canopies in a box somewhere. I harboured visions of using them along with a jolly boat and other miscellaneous bits incorporated into the display like the dropped anchor but never quite got there. I just wanted to show a mortar 'run out' and another more tidily stowed. Asthetics over realism there. 

Also I just glued them onto the deck.  Thanks for the kind words about the compsition on the display there. I'd bought the plans from NMM and then couldn't justify the expense of framing so came up with incorporating a colour scan of it into the ship modelling.

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the reply and the kind words on my build log.  As you are aware, I have unashamedly adopted several of your approaches in my ongoing Granado build.  While I cannot replicate them with as much skill as you possess, your ideas have been able to help make a difference in the quality of my efforts in a good way.  Now having looked back at the way you have displayed the mortars, I think this might be the way I proceed as well.  It seems to convey some action is happening with the 2nd mortar being put into commission....right?  I also can't say this enough:  your display is awesome.  

Edited by HardeeHarHar

9 hours ago, HardeeHarHar said:

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the reply and the kind words on my build log.  As you are aware, I have unashamedly adopted several of your approaches in my ongoing Granado build.  While I cannot replicate them with as much skill as you possess, your ideas have been able to help make a difference in the quality of my efforts in a good way.  Now having looked back at the way you have displayed the mortars, I think this might be the way I proceed as well.  It seems to convey some action is happening with the 2nd mortar being put into commission....right?  I also can't say this enough:  your display is awesome.  

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

There's very few untried ideas out there, just ones that are refined by further use after being taken from others. I got most of these ideas off the fine builds on this site so it's nice to hear they are again helping others here. Keep up the good work.

Also, if you dangle a mortar canopy as I did, you might want to put a weight of some sort on the underside to put a realistic strain on the hoist cables. I used some lead foil folded over a couple of times as it could be kept out of sight.

• The title was changed to HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by Timmo - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64