Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Making Shackles my way…

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPrince Albert Saskatchewan Canada

Great idea, thanks so much

• mtaylor and Thanasis like this

wefalck

wefalck
  • Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Thanasis, I don't want to accuse you of being a 'copy-cat' as you probably don't read German - and therefore didn't see the article I published in 1980 in a modelling magazine that describes exactly the same technique ;)

http://www.maritima-...LCK-SM-5-80.pdf

• mtaylor, kees de mol and slow2cool like this

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

J.P.

J.P.
  • Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB Canada

Thanasis....Thanks for taking the time on a wonderful tutorial.......and I'm guessing mere coincidence on  technique duplication from days gone by....

JP

• mtaylor likes this

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel),

Current WIP:Le Renommee (Euromodel)

On Shelf: Berlin (Corel), HMS Bounty (Billings),

Le Renommee - Euromodel

kees de mol

kees de mol
  • Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationKatwijk (Holland)

Thank you for your very goog instructions. Not all builders are willing to share their secrets so I thank you. I will keep this topic in mind for later.

Regards, Kees

• mtaylor and robin b like this

homer

homer
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Thank you for the great tutorial! Great minds think alike ... Wefalck! 

• mtaylor likes this

Current Build:

Charles W. Morgan - 1:64 - Model Shipwayshttp://modelshipworl...64/#entry282430

Past Builds:

HMS Greyhound - 1:100 Scale by Corel - http://modelshipworl...20/#entry264094

Corsair - 1:80 Scale by Occre  http://modelshipworl...e-180/?p=259481

HMS Bounty - 1:48 Scale by Artesania Latina - http://modelshipworl...ge/9554-bounty/

Thanasis

Thanasis
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGreece-Volos
Thank you all for your comments mates.

wefalck . Thank you also for your notice.
Well, believe it or not I wasn't even thinking to involved with ship modeling back in 1980 (at my 18) therefore at that time I wasn't following any ship modeling magazine and especially in German language, which I don't speak or write.
Wanting or not to accuse me, and being (me) a bad user of the English language, what really bothers me in your notice, is your words "probably" (I don't read German) and the "exactly" (same technique).
By those words what I get, is that you have doubts whether this technique is not a copy and you decided to share it with the forum.
I really can't read the text in the pdf of your link, so apart from what I can see (a drawing which shows a piece of wire being flattened at its edges - what else someone could think at first making shackles), I would like to translate the text and point me out the "exact" same procedure.
Many thanks

Edited by Thanasis, 15 June 2016 - 11:51 AM.

• cog, mtaylor, kees de mol and 1 other like this

There are no bad or good model makers. There are only less or more experienced.

www.naftomodelismos.gr/English.html

In gallery

Tsernikoperama -  Trechantiri Brachera Bombarda Sabatiera -Tserniki vessel rigged as Penna - NE Aegean Sea Tserniki -Tserniki of Mykonos Island

ndeconte

ndeconte
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Thanks for taking the time on the tutorial for the shackles and the info on the thimbles, BOTH very helpful and informative!?

• mtaylor and donrobinson like this

Neal DeConte

Rhode Island

COMPLETED: 35" Orca Boat movie replica, first wooden/scratch built boat

wefalck

wefalck
  • Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Thanasis, I tried to be 'tongue-in-the-cheek'. Quite busy at the moment, but will take the time a bit later to put a translation of the PDF onto my Web-site ... have to go and catch a plane now ...

• mtaylor and kees de mol like this

wefalck

kees de mol

kees de mol
  • Members
  • 509 posts

Wefalcl also thanks for your contribution. old or new technique, I am always happy with them.

Cheers, Kees

• mtaylor, robin b and slow2cool like this

cog

cog
  • Members
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationGelderland, Netherlands

I tried to be 'tongue-in-the-cheek'

I often found that it is very hard to get across the intention of how you say something. The message is written and body language is not readable, the lack of intonation is a definite problem too. Besides these factors, at MSW we deal with quite a few people whom do not have English as a native language, some of which even use a translation site to be able to communicate here with us all, which I find very commendable, and which amongst other things makes this site such a great place to "hang out"

Edited by cog, 16 June 2016 - 06:39 AM.

• mtaylor, robin b, Jack12477 and 2 others like this

Carl

Builds
Kit Wood
Dolphyn [Corel] 1:68, Higaki Kaisen [Woody Joe] 1:72
Kit Plastic

IJN Musashi [Tamiya] 1:350

Finished builds

Scratch: Sea Witch 1:109

Thanasis

Thanasis
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGreece-Volos

Thank you all for your comments mates.

Wefalck. I accept you explanation, although I would prefer this 'tongue-in-the-cheek' expression been placed at the beginning of your sentence, or with a more relevant emoticon... :P 

To set you free from the translation (you may write it if you like) just tell me whether in the text is there any reference on haemostatic pliers with hole to make scratch marks, or small hinge to shape the shackles over. I won’t expect to find any reference on PC processor though.

In case of not, then the word “exactly” (the same), should be used with care.

Thanks

• mtaylor likes this

In gallery

Tsernikoperama -  Trechantiri Brachera Bombarda Sabatiera -Tserniki vessel rigged as Penna - NE Aegean Sea Tserniki -Tserniki of Mykonos Island

EJ_L

EJ_L
  • Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWichita, Ks

Great tutorial Thanasis. Very well done and extremely useful! Genius idea using that old processor for pins. I have a few of those laying around that I now have a use for! :D

• mtaylor and kees de mol like this

"Anchors Aweigh"

-E.J.

Current Builds - La Couronne - Corel &  Le Soleil Royal - Sergal

Completed - Wood - Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

wefalck

wefalck
  • Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Thanasis, my post was made in a hurry before going off to work and should have been worded more carefully. My apologies.

As a matter of fact, when I used the word 'exactly' I was referring to creating a flat, to drill it and then to shape it. I used a flat-nosed punch to flatten the wire, a sharp punch to mark the hole and to prevent the drill from slipping. I did not use a haemostat or similar to guide the drill.

It is always interesting to see that other people come up with the same or similar ideas for solving certain manufacturing problems.

The smallest shackles I produced this way were about 1.5 mm long. The size was also limited downwards by the fact that the smallest drill I had was 0.3 mm, so the wire had to be at least 0.3 mm diameter to stay within the proportions.

• cog, mtaylor, Altduck and 1 other like this

wefalck

Thanasis

Thanasis
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGreece-Volos
EJ_L. Many thanks for your comment but it isn’t my idea. As I mentioned before, I just recall it from the past, having seen it as another member’s tip. I wish I could remember his name to give him the deserved praise.

Wefalck, say that nothing happened. Really no hard feelings at all.
Just to mention, that being ship modeler from almost 20 years, I faced twice that an idea of mine was "stolen" and was presented in forums as their ideas.  I won't tell you the tips nor the nationality to protect them just only it was in the days of DryDock models forum.
In one case, he probably didn't manage to come in a result and in addition, he had used one of the photos of my own presentation.
They were run out of luck and I found them.... Through the messages we exchanged, I felt the embarrassment and their shame when I demanded to delete the posts and forget the issue.
So, having this experience, I couldn't even think to copy another's tip and present it as mine. It wouldn't make me richer.
occasion14.gif
Thx

Edited by Thanasis, 17 June 2016 - 09:45 PM.

• wefalck, mtaylor, BANYAN and 3 others like this

In gallery

wefalck

wefalck
  • Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Actually, I don't mind people adopting ideas - but as you said, it's nasty to take someone elses pictures etc. and then post them at another place without due credit. I have whole pages from my own Web-site being 'mirrored' on Web-sites of certain Eastern European individuals and Russian fora - and they just don't care when you just ask for proper credit to be given.

Still, I like to share ideas, tips, information, because somehow it will be repaid by others sharing their ideas, tips, and information ... give and you will be given, as the Romans said.

• mtaylor, BANYAN, Thanasis and 1 other like this

wefalck

kees de mol

kees de mol
  • Members
  • 509 posts

Forgot to say. The hint about the processorpins is great.

• cog, mtaylor, Thanasis and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.