Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Solidworks Plans

solidworks plans

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationMoline, Illinois USA

Does anyone have a set of plans done in solidworks they would like to share? I am trying to learn how to draw boats so I can do some R/C Boats o play with my grandkids and having probs going from aircraft to boats and would like to look at some boat done in solidworks to reverse the drawing and see how it was done

thanks Joe

• fmartins and pergynt like this

Don9of11

Don9of11
  • Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationAkron, Ohio
You might try grabcad or try some free cad model resources. I have never done any boats in SW even though I use SW at work. I was modeling a 74 gun ship in SW but I have switched over to Onshape because I can work on my model at home, work or on my tablet. What experience do you have using SW?

https://grabcad.com/...tm_source=index
  • Tadeusz43 likes this

Current project: MS Mayflower

Developing plans for a 3rd rate 74 gun ship, circa 1780-1820.

Projects in waiting
MS Katy of Norfolk

www.howefamily.com

Don9of11

Don9of11
  • Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationAkron, Ohio

You might also want to check out youTube  I found several videos on boat building

https://www.youtube....OATS SOLIDWORKS

• fmartins likes this

Projects in waiting
MS Katy of Norfolk

www.howefamily.com

fmartins

fmartins
  • Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo - Brazil

You might try grabcad or try some free cad model resources. I have never done any boats in SW even though I use SW at work. I was modeling a 74 gun ship in SW but I have switched over to Onshape because I can work on my model at home, work or on my tablet. What experience do you have using SW?

https://grabcad.com/...tm_source=index

Is onshape easy to learn?

• mtaylor and Don9of11 like this

----

Currently scratch  building (wood, plastic and lots of other materials) a Royal Louis... let's see if it survives my poor hands... 

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

thanks yea tried grabcad some are ok most are not very accurate. I was hoping to find some tall ship stuff

• mtaylor likes this

Don9of11

Don9of11
  • Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationAkron, Ohio
Onshape is easy to learn they have several instructional videos. If you have used 3D CAD of any kind you should catch on quickly. They offer free plan and a subscription plan. With either plan you get full use of the software. By the way there is no software to download and install and they make updates every month or so. There is a catch though, with the free plan all your documents are public, meaning any one can copy them but they can't change your originals. The subscription plan allows for private document's. Also, it's nice to have good Internet connections. For being free, it's great for hobbyist and makers.
  • mtaylor and PeteB like this

Projects in waiting
MS Katy of Norfolk

www.howefamily.com

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

yea i looked at it for people without access to cad programs it looks to be a nice program. fortunately I have solidworks so I use that. which is nice because of all the simulations I can do in solidworks for fittings etc.

on another note how can I set it so I get instant email alerts of posts? I thought I had it set up for it but i never get any notices.

PSS I also am working on getting ready to start a POB build for the Sloop Mediator. I will redraw the plans for POF later after I learn about the proper building techniques for a tall ship

• mtaylor and PeteB like this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,235 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

I can't help with the issues about CAD.  But the notifications can be set in your profile.  Don't count on them working as ISP's have access to "blacklists" for "spam" and due to the amount of notifications MSW sends out, we've been blacklisted for the most part.

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

ok yea i have them marked and only following a couple topics with email notifications atm so my isp usually doesnt block

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

PS BTW I am not having problems with cad as in software just problem figuring out how to draw the plans properly as a ship was originally built. think theres was some confusion there abt me having problems using a cad program and wanted to say that isnt it using the program just how to properly draw ships parts for framing as it would have been from the shipyard

• mtaylor likes this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,235 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

This might help:  http://modelshipworl...nd-research.php   There's quite a few articles on lofting and CAD.

Mark

Current Build:

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
Wasa (Gallery)

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

thanks Mark I will be sure to look through it. I never seen that link before or definatley would have started there

• mtaylor likes this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,235 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

To get there the hard way... hit the Nautical Research Guild Home Page and scroll down to "Ship Modeling Resources:.  Then hit the "Ship Modeling Database of Articles".    :)

Mark

Current Build:

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
Wasa (Gallery)

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

haha there is one with solidworks 5 i remember that beast things have come a long way since those days

• mtaylor likes this

Don9of11

Don9of11
  • Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationAkron, Ohio
I have used SW myself and the best method (I made up this method when I made plans for my USS Zellars ) I have found is to get the plans in as good a shape as possible and import them into SW. In SW, set up your perpendiculars, length, breadth and framing, any dimensions that you actually know be it from the plans, offsets, or contract. Then import your plans, to avoid making SW file huge, if you are able, import the plans in pieces, trace over them or redraw them however you wish, when your confidence is high and you are pleased with the results, remove the plan images, they just clutter up the file anyway or keep those that you want.

Beware of the accuracy demon though, he lurks around every corner and can drive you mad. SW allows you to model things very accurately. At 1/4" = 1 ft, a 1 inch difference is about .02 in real model inches. By the time you start cutting wood and sanding, .02 or .03 is normal. In fact. 06 is about 3 inches. So guage your accuracy accordingly.

Edited by Don9of11, 10 January 2017 - 05:50 PM.

• mtaylor likes this

Projects in waiting
MS Katy of Norfolk

www.howefamily.com

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

yea I used to draw plane plans from factory drawings and such for abt 25 yrs so am familiar with the software and normal inaccuracies.

like said my main problem is figuring out the different parts for a ship to draw the plans proper for Plank on Frame. I got the triton so am converting all the pdf files to dxf in corel and another person asked if I could convert them for him too. I also have the mediator sloop I started a thread on and everything was looking good til I tried to do the decking and found it to be pretty wavy. I know wasnt me as I brought in the original cad files and located them as was drawn. that is why I like my solidworks I can easily spot errors that arent apparent in 2D cad drawings and fix them before I build.

I been jumping round a bit the last 3 months or so on projects but i am still learning and i found if I get frustrated to switch to something else or I screw it up.

So I will be working on the mediator sloop and the triton and once i am satisfied with my solidworks model of the hull I will buy wood and start building. with the proce of wood now a days dont want to start cutting and find out you wasted a 20 or 30 dollar board. when I am all finished I will pass along the adjusted drawings to the admins for revised versions

JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley
  • Members
  • 97 posts

here is an example of the tracings for my Wapama and I used the offset tables to generate the station curves. I love using the TOO to make my curves it is so much nicer.

the nice thing is the stations and the buttock lines on the TOO matched up almost perfectly with the plans

Attached Thumbnails

• Image26.png

• mtaylor and Don9of11 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.