Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HMS Pegasus by donrobinson - Victory Models/Amati - 1:64

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationPrince Albert Saskatchewan Canada

This is the start of my Pegasus log which I have been putting off for far too long and decided I would get it going. When I started this hobby a little over a year ago I seen a picture of the Amati Pegasus and instantly wanted her, however, for once in my life I held off starting her as I knew my skill level was not there yet. I feel now if I take my time and with the help available here at MSW I should be able to stumble through and do a fairly good job.

I know this is a bold step starting this kit as there is some excellent ones on the go now, Blue Ensign and Landlubber Mike  are just two examples of some of the skilled craftsmen here at MSW. Although I do not plan on following in their footsteps, I mean who could, I do plan on making some changes mostly to the kit wood and possibly a few other features(cannons, rigging line etc.).

I did not include pictures of the contents but if anyone is interested in seeing the contents of this great kit just say so and I will be more than happy to add them.

Enough of an introduction, it is my hope that I do this girl justice and maybe someday be allowed into that elite Pegasus/fly fraternity. 

To date I have fitted the bulkheads and transom supports. All went together good and there was very little adjustment required. I am impressed with the mdf so far and do not see any problems arising in the future from it, it is defiantly quite a bit denser  than the stuff found in the local lumberyard and should out shine the normal plywood that is typically used.

The one picture shows the plywood forecastle deck in place, it is not glued down that was just me playing around. In the past year I have had this kit the box has been opened and closed no less than 30-40 times and this piece keeps falling out. So I just put in in place for safe keeping :) .

IMG_0990.jpg IMG_1188.jpg IMG_1189.jpg IMG_1190.jpg IMG_0989.jpg

• Ryland Craze, riverboat, ccoyle and 13 others like this

Mirabell61

Mirabell61
  • Members
  • 4,146 posts
  • LocationGlinde, state Schleswig-Holstein, Germany

congrats to joining the 1/64 "Swan Class Club" Don,

see your shipyard has had keellaying party already...., wish you much fun with the build

Nils

• Elijah, Canute and donrobinson like this

My build logs for scratch built ships

Current builds

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...ne/#entry319621

Completed builds
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan  (scratchbuild)
http://modelshipworl...ge-1#entry79523

"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96

http://modelshipworl...ed/#entry159607

"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...pleted-to-d/page-1#entry168883

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...to-date/#entry16246

"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50

http://modelshipworl...er/#entry182678

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, (scratchbuild)

http://modelshipworl...ed/#entry280917

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,314 posts

Thanks so much Nils, I have some of your techniques in my mind that I hope to use on this build. Your Pegasus is completely amazing and I will be referring to it lots during this build.

Edited by donrobinson, 22 June 2016 - 02:31 PM.

• Mirabell61, Elijah and Canute like this

Cobr@

Cobr@
  • Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationLiverpool UK
Think i will join in with this one :)
  • oscarmate, Elijah, Canute and 1 other like this

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,314 posts

Welcome aboard Bob, come on in and enjoy the ride

• Cobr@, Elijah and Canute like this

Cobr@

Cobr@
  • Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationLiverpool UK
Thanks Don :)

paulv1958

paulv1958
  • Members
  • 414 posts
  • LocationBerwick, Australia

HI Don

A kit I had my eyes on, but have enough now for the next 5-6 years. I will watch on with great interest if i may

• Cobr@, Elijah, Canute and 1 other like this

Paul V

Current Build:
Pending.... xmas

Completed Builds :
HM Bark Endeavour  Caldercraft
Panart Between decks

HMB Endeavour Longboat AL 1:50 Small Boat

San Juan S.XVI GALLEON AL

OH Hold:

HMS Victory Cross Section Corel 1:96( on hold)

On Shelf:

Occre Xbec

AL Santa Ana 1784

Caldercraft HMS Victory

riverboat

riverboat
  • Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationRiverside, Calif.

Good luck Don on your new en-devour...... she's a beauty!!!

frank

• Cobr@, Elijah, Canute and 1 other like this

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Elijah

Elijah
  • Members
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationChicago Area
Nice start Don!
  • Cobr@, Canute and donrobinson like this
-Elijah

Current build(s):
Model Shipways Phantom
http://modelshipworl...showtopic=12376

Member of:
The Nautical Research Guild
N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,314 posts

Hi Paul, you certainly may make yourself at home

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,314 posts

Thanks Frank, yes she is a beauty hopefully I'll do her justice.

• riverboat, Cobr@, Elijah and 1 other like this

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,314 posts

Hey Elijah, thanks. Stop in anytime.

rafine

rafine
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, Florida

You're off to a good start Don. You should be more than ready for this one.

Bob

Cabbie

Cabbie
  • Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationCastlemaine Victoria Australia

Oh goodness Don, you do know how to fun!!!!!.

Starting another ship that looks to be a very enjoyable one.

You must have a big display space to sit these beauties in.

I will keep an eye on this as well.

hooroo Chris

HM Cutter Mermaid 1817

HMS Endeavour by Cabbie

Every action has a consequence

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,314 posts

Hi Bob, Thanks for your encouragement it's the masters like yourself that help push me on wanting to do things better.

donrobinson

donrobinson
  • Members
  • 1,314 posts

Hey Chris, how are things with you? I think this one should be a lot of fun it's a matter of splitting my time between both builds and hope things work out. As for the storage space I have a basement that I am renovating into one large display area that I'll hopefully finish some day soon. Until then the dining room table still has room for two or three more :)  :P .

• Martin W, Cobr@, Elijah and 1 other like this

David Lester

David Lester
  • Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationCobourg, Ontario

Don, you're unstoppable!

I'm looking forward to this build because Pegasus is what I am planning to build myself after my Rattlesnake after my as yet unfinished Constitution. Displaying them is a concern. My Constitution is going to my daughter's office, so that's the big one dealt with and we'll see about the others.

David

• Martin W, Elijah, Canute and 1 other like this

Current Build - USS Constitution, Model Shipways

Previous Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways

Next Build - Rattlesnake, Mamoli

Landlubber Mike

Landlubber Mike
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.

Don, welcome to the Swan Club!  Glad to see you starting your Pegasus!  Like you, when I saw the kit and the various logs of it, I also knew that this was an absolute must-build for me.  And thank you for your kind words - this is only my second kit, so I'm still very much a novice and learning from others on here each day.

Great start - the MDF is so precise and fits together like a glove.  I wish more kit manufacturers went with MDF for the skeleton of the hull.  One bit of caution - when fairing the bulkheads, it might be worth doing so outside and/or with a dust mask on.  I usually am not too sensitive to wood dust, but the MDF burned my chest and made me cough quite a bit.  Using a dust mask helped a lot.

One thing I noticed on your model is that you have the stern extensions square to the ship.  Take a look at my post below - I think these actually need to curve inward a bit to follow the hull/quarterdeck line as you can see in the pictures (it's quite possible that I have that all wrong though):

http://modelshipworl...e-164/?p=267492

One last thing - if you can get your hands on the TFFM books, they are a really nice resource.  Volume 2 is probably the one I have been most using as it has lots of great information and tips on the various detail items.  Volume 1 is mostly for constructing the hull and its frames, and I haven't referred to it much.  Volume 3 shows one guy's journey step by step as he scratch builds a Pegasus which is interesting to see, but probably not critical.  Volume 4 is all about rigging and sails, so it's probably worth considering if you are going to add sails to the model.  So long story short, I'd highly recommend Volume 2 for the pre-rigging stage.  The volumes are pricey and worth every penny, but I was able to find mine on eBay for a good price.

The NMM plans for the Pegasus are really beautiful too.  Again, not necessary but an interesting resource if you are open to deviating from the kit.  For me, I've used them to locate and resize certain of the deck items like the hatches and bitts.  I also noticed that the rails were of slightly different widths from the kit, but nothing major.  Overall though, the kit and its plans are very close to the NMM plans.

Looking forward to following your build!  Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

• Martin W, Cobr@, Elijah and 2 others like this

Mike

Current builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde

Future scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs)

Canute

Canute

Engine Stoker 3rd Class

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Don, I'll be following along, too. The Swan Class has some pretty lines and someday I may do one. Right now, I'll work on my Launch.

• Cobr@, Elijah and donrobinson like this

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

SpyGlass

SpyGlass
  • Members
  • 1,350 posts

Landlubber is right about the stern extensions - heres a pic from my log http://modelshipworl...-models/?p=7999

And my advice remains to drill mounting holes and prepare the rabbets before going anywhere much.

A lovely lovely model to work on and lots of beautiful builds here as guidance

I await the **(^^&*&&(*   words when you reach the gunport strips !!

Edited by SpyGlass, 23 June 2016 - 11:43 AM.

• Landlubber Mike, Martin W, Elijah and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.