HMS Pegasus by donrobinson - Victory Models/Amati - 1:64

Hey Don, feel free at any time to ping me with any questions.  I'll definitely see your PMs if you want to do it through there (probably the easiest way to make sure that you get me quickly), otherwise I'll try to keep track of your log :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Don -- I just now found your build log, and am impressed with your progress.  I'll be looking forward to reading the Adventures of Another Swan Builder.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks Martin, glad to have you on board

• 4 months later...

Good Morning All, I trust and hope you all had happy holidays and are now back to the reality of life once again.

I took the last five days off of my Trabaccolo build to do a little work on my neglected Pegasus, she was very happy to be in the shipyard once again.

First up was fairing the hull, sorry no pictures, then was to install the plywood gun deck. Before doing this supports were required as per so many other logs such as Mike's(Landlubber Mike). So you can see in the pictures how I accomplished this using some 3 x 3mm posts and 1.5 x 5 mm planks.

post-20628-0-64901700-1483964081_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-91717300-1483964103_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-38690800-1483964126_thumb.jpg

Next was the infamous plywood gunport pieces, I had little problems with these which still worries me :huh: . I soaked them for about an hour then bent them using a curling iron. I needed to move them approx 5mm forward as one of the oar holes was being blocked by a bulkhead, but other than that it went smoothly.

post-20628-0-52847300-1483964146_thumb.jpg

While waiting for glue and paint to dry I thought I would put together the cannon carriages. Many have complained about the Amati carriages , mostly about the quality of the plywood. I am thinking they must have changed their stock as I found these ones to be quite durable and easy to work with, you can be the judge as to how they look. Amati does include 18 carriages and 16 cannons, I'm thinking these extra carriages will work fine as stocking stuffers next Christmas or even mount some chocolate in them and they could be a Easter bunny thing, at any rate they will not go to waste.

A point to note is Do Not paint the bulkheads black above the deck if you wish to paint red later :angry:  :P . Mine took a minimum of ten coats to cover then I just quit.

Here I am using the mill with the sensitive drilling attachment to drill the axles for the pins that hold the trucks on, then it was on to assembling.

post-20628-0-76342300-1483964162_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-80000200-1483964191_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-22759200-1483964212_thumb.jpg

A little out of order but here you can see the result of moving the gun port sides ahead by 5 mm. The stem post and bowsprit are not glued in place, looks so good I feel like making the real bowsprit now.

post-20628-0-74907400-1483964232_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-13670800-1483964258_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-46933200-1483964294_thumb.jpg

And here she is ready for a battle, well kind of, and loaded up for next stage of deck planking

post-20628-0-40299400-1483964314_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-34852500-1483964337_thumb.jpg

Here the planking has started using the kit supplied planks. I decided on a four plank shift using 120 mm planks. I built the aft bits as they are noted for not fitting properly mine required minor adjustments and fit perfectly. So with the gunport sides causing no problems and now the bits fitting good I am really getting concerned about my usual not so good luck. :)  :)

In my excitement to start planking I forgot I should have built the hatches first, I don't think this will pose too much of a problem, I will carry on as is and see what happens later with the hatches.

post-20628-0-77233200-1483964357_thumb.jpg

Have a Good Day

Edited by donrobinson

Hi Don -- That's quite a bit of progress you've made!  Well done.  The gunport strip looks good to me -- the test lies with seeing whether or not the guns sit in the ports at a consistent height, and yours certainly look right.

I think if my Fly had come with wooden carriages I'd have been tempted to use them, but they were ugly brass things, that even the Easter Bunny would turn away from.

Can't wait to see more!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks for stopping in and for your comment Martin. I will have to check out the gun carriages a little closer and see how they are fitting.

Thanks Dave, I had a quick look at that site and it looks pretty good. I am going to have a closer look and maybe take some notes.

Solid start Don.  The patterns look fantastic - you got a really nice curve along the bulkhead extensions which will make for a nice curvy lady.  

If I remember correctly, I don't think there are any tricky things to be aware of at this stage.  The wale was tricky for me to line up, but wasn't too bad.  I found, like the TFFM series, that as the wale approaches the stem in an upward curve, it flattens out right around the last bulkhead or two.

I think I mentioned earlier that if you look at the NMM plans, the kit's plans deviate on some of the hatch locations and sizes.  I think the rear-most bitt actually extends through the hatch behind it, and I believe the cross bar (I'm not sure if that is the proper term) is on the opposite side of where the NMM plans show it should be (aft rather than fore).  These are all very minor variances though and in many cases, won't be noticeable if you decide to go with the kit plans.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike, I have looked over your log concerning the hatch and bit location and I will have to give that some thought. I do not have any of the TFFM books, my hope for my Pegasus is to have one that pleases my eye so that may not include all the historically correct additions or changes. I love what you have done with yours and really enjoy watching you work on her, I'm afraid my talents are not up to yours so I will not be attempting some of the changes you have masterfully completed. Maybe on my next Pegasus ;)  :) . I sincerely appreciate you looking in and helping me out, if it wasn't for you and your log (which I have used lots) my progress to date would have been a lot more difficult.

Thanks Again 

Don, I think you give me way too much credit.  I'm actually learning a lot from you in your builds.  Some of the stuff I've been doing I think is some kind of subconscious desire to torture myself :)

I went over the NMM plans very carefully, and the Amati plans are incredibly close to them.  I think in a few minor areas there are deviations, mostly intended to simplify certain aspects of the build (for example, that one bitts I mentioned earlier).  The NMM plans are not necessarily how the actual ship came out either, particularly on the more decorative elements from what I gather.  

The TFFM books are not necessary.  They are a nice educational resource for sure.  When I originally bought the kit, I was intending to just build it from the box as a more advanced kit to learn from.  When I got the books, I ended up getting the tools and the wood and now the build has morphed into a close to scratch build.  I've enjoyed learning the woodworking and modeling techniques, but there are times when I think about "what if" I had just build the model from the box.  The kit is so great that frankly, I'm wondering if there would have been any meaningful difference in outcome had I just build her straight from the kit.

Mike

That is funny Mike, when I bought the kit I was real new to this hobby and I to promised myself I would not change anything. Heck I even said I was going to leave the photo etch plain and not paint or blacken it, well I'm very certain I will break this part of the promise to myself :) . As for the rest I'll see how things go ;)  :D

• 3 months later...

Hey howya goin Don mate, waiting for more on this build mate I'll be following along, great job so far.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Thanks guys, updates coming soon. Deck planking is complete and hatches are next up on the menu. In the meantime help yourself to the refreshment fridge, it is fully stocked:cheers::)

• 6 months later...

Hope to see some more progress Don, really nice start you have here.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Don,  I too would love to take a seat if there are any left(If not I will sit on the floor - no problem)   looking forward to seeing more of your  work, she is coming along really nicely.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hello Jason and OC now that I have finished my Trabakul build it is my full intention to pay more time to this girl and make some progress. Thanks for the push to get things going!!