If you have a particular model in mind, search MSW for build logs.  You'll get a variety of ideas and methods.  In this forum: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/12-shop-notes-ship-modeling-tips-techniques-and-research/are lots of topics on "how-to".  

We also have an article database:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-modeling-articles-and-downloads.php  that has a lot of mini-practicums.

I look at this way... the information is here on MSW and costs nothing... why buy it?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I bought the planking bundle (1 & 2) from Modellers Shipyard. To be honest, there was very little I did not know already. I can´t speak about the Lauckstreets ones, but they look interesting if you are building the particular ship in the practicum. As Mark said, I would look first in the MSW database and if nothing found, I'd buy the practicum.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

When you say DVD do you mean like Bob's(lauckstreet) Lady Nelson? That one shows him in real life building the boat, I have that one but have not built the boat as of yet. When I do I doubt I would use the dvd as I now don't think I would need it. I have watched only the planking part of it so far and it seems fairly good and could really help someone on their first build.

I used his practicum for my very first build the Armed Virginia Sloop and thought it was incredible.

Since then I found this great site and have not needed to use his practicums( I bought all of them). If you are the kind who is a little shy and do not like to ask what seem like dumb questions, they never are, then I would suggest buying some sort of practicum and the AVS is a good one. But really by coming to this site you have entered the "University of Modelling" and have some of the best professors at your disposal.  

Consider a practicum as a GPS showing you the road for the first time

And for the second time, there will be this forum with every thing you will need

Depending of certain conditions you could jump straight to the forum

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Another one here that people are talking about.

http://www.modelshipbuildingsecrets.com/model-ship-building-dvd

Also look at the link here on MSW http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5592-model-ship-building-secrets-dvd/

Not used any myself so cannot recommend any.

Regards Antony.

Edited by AntonyUK

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section