Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Announcement: New Search Feature for Build Logs

find finished builds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ccoyle

ccoyle

• Moderators
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina

Hi, friends!

I want to give you a preview of a new feature we are adding to the build logs section. Right now we are in the process of adding the word "FINISHED" to each completed build log immediately after the builder's username. Titles of finished logs will now look something like this:

HMS Doohickey by allthumbs - FINISHED - 1/50 scale

Why are we doing this? Because it makes it easier for you to use our search feature to find only finished models if you wish to do so. Plus, it eliminates the need for a separate forum for finished models. Here's how to do it:

1) Start in the Build Logs for Ship Model Kits forum.

2) Up by the search window in the upper right corner, click the little gear symbol to pull up the advanced search options.

3) Enter the name of the ship you're looking for and the word 'finished'.

4) Select the "all words" and "only search in titles" options.

5) Hit the SEARCH NOW button

6) Presto! You'll get a list of finished models.

Wanna test drive? Try searching the term Constitution using the above directions. If you want to see all finished models, just search the term 'finished' by itself.

Narrowing your search to finished builds is useful for finding builds that illustrate later steps of construction, such as rigging. That way you can skip past builds that end at earlier stages of construction.

Once we get all the kit builds tagged appropriately, we will add the finished tag to the scratch build section as well. We added the word in all caps so that finished build logs will stand out if you decide to browse logs the old-fashioned way.

Enjoy!

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor, WackoWolf and 10 others like this

Chris Coyle
Greenville, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

EJ_L

EJ_L
  • Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWichita, Ks

Great idea Chris. That will indeed be useful to help in finding those completed projects and especially like you said for rigging as many logs do not make it that far. Thanks!

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, oscarmate and 3 others like this

"Anchors Aweigh"

-E.J.

Current Builds - La Couronne - Corel &  Le Soleil Royal - Sergal

Completed - Wood - Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

GuntherMT

GuntherMT
  • Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

Good idea Chris, I had my completed builds marked "Complete", but I've now changed them to "Finished".  Having a standard word to use for this is an excellent plan.  Now if only everyone would follow the standard!

• mtaylor, src, Mahuna and 3 others like this

Cathead

Cathead

Eric

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

This is great. I've gone through and renamed my logs.

• mtaylor, Canute and zoly99sask like this

Current build: US Revenue Cutter "Ranger", Corel, 1:64

Previous builds:

Naval: 18th century longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48; Naval gun kits from Model Shipways; Bounty launch, Model Shipways, 1:16

Missouri River craft: Missouri River steamboat Bertrand, scratchbuilt in 1:87;  Lewis & Clark barge, scratchbuilt in 1:48;
Missouri River keelboat, scratchbuilt in 1:87; Missouri River steamboat Far West, scratchbuilt in 1:87

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

Thanks, Chris.  I just updated mine to the new convention.

• mtaylor, Canute and zoly99sask like this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

Captain Slog

Captain Slog
  • Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

oh how I wish I could change a build log title of mine to include the word FINISHED  :(

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve and zoly99sask like this

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Build HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood)

Current Build Borodino (1:200 Card)

Abandoned Build Bismarck (Card)

Mazur D-350 (Card Vehicle - External site)

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

oh how I wish I could change a build log title of mine to include the word FINISHED  :(

You can ! Open the log to the first entry, click EDIT (in first post) , then click on USE FULL EDITOR, that opens a window with the log title in it. Just type the word into the title. Then click SAVE

• mtaylor, zoly99sask and donrobinson like this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apprentice Wood-Hacker (3rdClass)

• Members
  • 2,545 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

I think Slog means that he hasn't got that far ... yet.

:cheers:

• mtaylor, Captain Slog, Canute and 1 other like this

CaptainSteve

Current Build:   USS Constitution (Model Shipways)

My BathTub:     Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)      Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)

HMS Victory (Constructo)

Check It Out:    The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.