Plastic Wood or Wood filler

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if there is any advantage or disadvantage in using plastic wood or wood filler.

I was at the store and they were out of Elmer Wood Filler so I picked up DAP plastics wood.

My Elmer is almost out so but I do anything I could regret i am looking for advice.

post-12982-0-29640300-1470868987.jpg

post-12982-0-10277100-1470868992.jpg

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

My preference is Hobbylite.  Sands really easily, holds an edge, extremely lite (used in RC aircraft) and a little less expensive and won't dry out.  If it dries a little just add a couple drops of water to reconstitute.  $5.00 at Tower Hobbies, on-line.  I had the same jug now through 4-5 big ships.

Tom

post-30-0-00457500-1470872116.jpg

Thanks Tom. I will look into this product.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

I would say to make yourself up a test and see if it does take stain a/o poly the same as Elmers. I would be interested to see how it works in comparison. You may have a new product for us, and please show us the results

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Les here. I use Dap for filling gaps in wood for painting. One thing to be aware of is that when dry it is very hard and tough to sand. Best to fill very light coats so you minimize sanding. If applied over a soft wood you will sand out the wood before the filler. for softer work I use a water based filler.