Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does it have to be wood?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Modeler12

Modeler12
  • Members
  • 1,874 posts

SFC you bring up some good points. 

As I mentioned, the material is very uniform at first glance and it machines well when all goes well. The impact problem is what did me in.

I know that others have used it to make pen blanks, for example, but the fellow who did this had the Corian supported with a metal sleeve on the inside.

To get around the 'round' issue, I might start with power sanding the square piece with numerous flats (octagon or so) and then carefully turn it to a cylinder.

I am not totally giving up, but for now it is on a back burner.

• mtaylor, src and Canute like this

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworl...s-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworl...n-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

bluenose2

bluenose2
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hello Les here. Interesting case study. I have been a scratch builder for years. When I couldn't get a kit or supplier supplied part, I kit bashed my own. When painted who knows. As a test for what you can do with a material, good stuff. However with what you can purchase from the many suppliers now, I buy when I can and make when I can't. I have been building for 54 years. I recently purchased some cannons and ships boats on line and was so happy with the quality as apposed to the kit supplied white metal parts. However if you can spin a gun or whatever go for it. This is what makes a hobby great. People who take non traditional materials and make them work. Keep calm and carry on.

• mtaylor, Modeler12, CaptainSteve and 1 other like this

bluenose2

bluenose2
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hi Les calling back. So you can see what non traditional materials can do. I purchased the book Ship Models, The Thomson collection from the Art Gallery of Ontario. If you are remotely interested in this hobby you will find the section of photographs of prisoner of war models by French naval prisoners during the Napoleonic war to be captivating at best. They made sailing ships of beef bones, human hair and straw. Amazing stuff. I could download some pics if anyone is interested so you can see for yourself. 

• mtaylor, Canute and EJ_L like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.