Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

In Praise Of Lacquer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Salty Sea Dog

Salty Sea Dog
  • Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationColorado
Besides the sleek yachts, other craft like traditional Dutch boeirs and zeechouws, motor launches and many coastal wooden small craft with a spar varnish finishes will have a high gloss finish. I do respect that historic warships would not look correct with a gloss finish though. For the ones that do need a gloss though, shellac and lacquer are a great choice.

As a side note, if you ever have to repair a lacquer sunburst finish Julie Mo, blonde shellac with alcohol based stain in an airbrush works wonders. You can easily have a do-over using an alcohol soaked rag and when it's just right, seal it with a lacquer top coat.

Best wishes
  • Canute, donrobinson and Julie Mo like this

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Jaager

Jaager
  • Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationNorfolk VA

Steve is correct - I am focused on 16th c. to 19th c. -  And for a lot of later vessels that do have high gloss on the original - when viewed from a distance that approximates the size of a model - often do not appear as glossy and paint colors are not as intense.  I think this is an aspect of scale effect.

• hornet, Canute, donrobinson and 1 other like this

bluenose2

bluenose2
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

Nice job. I build and spray cabinets for a living, so my go to finish will be a lacquer. Over a stained finish as your rudder you will not notice the yellowing as much as over say a natural finish. Gloss hulls on sailing craft look amazing and are finished in a varnish product, either sprayed ,brushed or rolled on. If you require a less glossy finish, lacquer can be bought in what is called degrees of gloss finish. 10% and so on. You have to go to a company like Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams etc to purchase this stuff. Newer products such as polyurethane, polyester and water based products produce equal or exceed lacquer. The benefit of lacquer is it dries faster than an oil based varnish. Be aware however! Lacquers of any sort are extremely volatile organic substances. Do not spray in your house without a high volume spray booth. A respirator with organic filters is mandatory. I use a 3M mask. I will still use a rattle can for small projects such as picture frames and other odds and sods. But wear a mask please. If you are considering going to the dark side look at these sites. Wood Central - Lacquer or Fine Wood Working - all about lacquers, spraying lacquers. Good luck.

• mtaylor, Canute, donrobinson and 1 other like this

jud

jud
  • Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationLexington, Oregon

Lacquer is durable, found out how much by using a rattle can of it that I grabbed without looking. Was doing my farming with a D 6 Cat and needed to tighten the tracks. No track wrench around, the adjusting nut was about 3" and was in behind the beam and guards for the tracks, so the wrench needed to have an angle in the handle of about 60°. Had some 1/2" X 3" x 4' spring steel in the Iron pile. Made the wrench, it fit and did the job so I wanted to paint it and grabbed a rattle can, kind of a red tint and was thin, could see the steel through it, checked the can and went ahead and used it up with about 4 or 5 coats. That wrench rattled around the deck of the cat, was thrown around the shop and around rigs, never chipped or lost all of its shine, did get dull and no rust ever got a start over the 5 years I had it before someone stole it. Kept it in mind in case I ever had the need for that kind of durability again, it  impressed me.

jud

Edited by jud, 08 October 2016 - 12:40 AM.

• mtaylor, Canute, donrobinson and 1 other like this

cog

cog
  • Members
  • 3,198 posts
  • LocationGelderland, Netherlands

Julie,

A model in lacquer isn't the same as the real thing lacquered. What do you see from the lacquer on the real model when she is as far away as to resemble the size of the model. Another feature caused by size is most models will have a slightly different colour (often a drop of white added) than their real life counterpart. Furthermore, the gloss won't be visible but for those parts which reflect  the sun. Therefore, modellers tend to paint their boats/ships with a satin or matte paint or finish, to make it resemble  reality.

I think (although that is not a wise thing for me to do) a model with a satin finish will come very close to a gloss finish for the real size

Cheers

• mtaylor, hornet, Canute and 2 others like this

Carl

Builds
Kit Wood
Dolphyn [Corel] 1:68, Higaki Kaisen [Woody Joe] 1:72
Kit Plastic

IJN Musashi [Tamiya] 1:350

Finished builds

Scratch: Sea Witch 1:109

bluenose2

bluenose2
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

exactamundo cog. It's called the scale effect. Those who build aircraft, armour or plastic WWII ships will add white or gray in varying amounts based on the scale to make their model look more realistic. For a good story on this go to the Finescale web site and look at the scale colour debates. A contentious issue for sure. For me it depends. On a large hull like the 1/72 scale Snowberry I am currently building I will wash the hull out a little so it doesn't look too colourfull. But other features I will paint exact so as to draw the eye to them. Depending on the wear and tear on a ship colours can vary greatly. I try to make it a mix of both so my boat doesn't look like a hag or does not look like it just sailed out after a refit. Your choice. 

• cog, mtaylor and Canute like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.